1974 M20F Exhaust Failure

I get that people get old and retire and want to do something else. But what I don't get is closing the business all together. Sacramento Skyranch, this place, other places as well, they just say well I'm old I'm closing up shop and that's that. The place has value they can sell it.

17 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I get that people get old and retire and want to do something else. But what I don't get is closing the business all together. Sacramento Skyranch, this place, other places as well, they just say well I'm old I'm closing up shop and that's that. The place has value they can sell it.

Earlier in my life I looked into buying a going small business (small, family owned) as I couldn't afford anything bigger.  What I learned after looking over about a dozen of these 'opportunities' is that you were, best case, buying yourself a job...and, in most cases, the business WAS the owner!  He leaves, you are looking at a VERY tough row to hoe.  The BUSINESS VALUE IS THE OWNER.

I suspect these owners are smart enough to realize this and trying to find a buyer is not a path worth going down.

My $0.02

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 11:36 PM, MikeOH said:

Earlier in my life I looked into buying a going small business (small, family owned) as I couldn't afford anything bigger.  What I learned after looking over about a dozen of these 'opportunities' is that you were, best case, buying yourself a job...and, in most cases, the business WAS the owner!  He leaves, you are looking at a VERY tough row to hoe.  The BUSINESS VALUE IS THE OWNER.

I suspect these owners are smart enough to realize this and trying to find a buyer is not a path worth going down.

My $0.02

Most of us in small business likely face the same future.  

Clarence

4 hours ago, nosky2high said:

Follow the FAA approved “owner produced part” option by finding a good welder. IIRC there’s a shop in California that several bravo owners have used to repair their expensive exhaust systems.

YUP Know of it well  It works

• 2 weeks later...

It really is too bad they are closing. While I agree that the skills that they have are hard to come by, they also likely have a lifetime of jigs and drawings that are worth selling. Hope they don’t simply get scrapped. Could be a nice filler business for the right shop with a skilled welder or two...

Facebook posts seem to indicate the assets were purchased (or similar arrangement) by AMI-AWI who do pretty good work themselves.  AWI did mine last time around and the fit was excellent.  Aircraft Spruce uses them too...  Will see if it affects prices at all.  I ended up at AWI last time because Dawley had a long turn time but AWI was quite fast.

• Like 2

I had a failure of my exhaust a while back.  It was sent off to AWI.  The photos are before and after of AWI's product.  I think they did great work.  The first photo is the complete loss of the flame tubes inside the muffler.  The second was a bulge in the muffler itself.  The third is a photo of the new flame tubes and the fourth is a photo of the new muffler.  They also did all down pipes and exhaust.

9086409007259689518.jpg

-7352643004334285633.jpg

2460627119042528720.jpg

-2967754004806618766.jpg

• Like 2

@GEE-BEE that is interesting... Ti tubing...

Forever exhausts for a forever plane..?

Got any more details for that?

I have forgotten most of what I knew about Ti machining...

The flex mod is a bit lower for Ti...

Not sure how that could affect an exhaust system...

Got any details to go with that?

How that gets approval for use with the TBM?

A lighter exhaust system on a Mooney could add some value...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

@GEE-BEE that is interesting... Ti tubing...

Forever exhausts for a forever plane..?

Got any more details for that?

I have forgotten most of what I knew about Ti machining...

The flex mod is a bit lower for Ti...

Not sure how that could affect an exhaust system...

Got any details to go with that?

How that gets approval for use with the TBM?

A lighter exhaust system on a Mooney could add some value...

Best regards,

-a-

+1, interested as well.

• Like 1