N9150V Sold and I am on to blue'er pastures

Stephen

On 1/2/2021 at 12:24 PM, Stephen said:

HI MS,

We just closed on N9150V and would like to publicly thank the forum for all your wonderful support!!!!! I am sure the new owners will pop up here somewhere and can look forward to participating in the extremely high-value community. My software deal fell through ("Time kills all deals") so my wife and I are aiming some of our proceeds at some recently occurring medical expenses (our youngest son was in a very serious car wreck but is now out of the woods and healing quickly :)) ....and on the lighter side learning to sail!  We are looking for an entry level trailer sailboat (Catalina? O'Day etc??? 22-27 ft) that we can use to have fun and learn as a step to eventually becoming semi-full time catamaran cruisers in a few years. To supplement that activity, I am planning on taking sailing classes and looking for daysail/passage crew opportunities in the coming  year or two. Anyway, thank you again for all your contributions, encouragement and support and I'm off to those blue-er pastures, although being water not skies (for now). That said, BLUE SKIES and Tailwinds to you all!

Kind regards,

Stephen Holcomb

Formerly KHAE

Stephen,

Sorry to hear of the sale but you'll love sailing.  

We've had a Hunter 260 for about 10 years now.  It is waterballasted but has great cabin/cockpit room, relative to trailer sailers.  We too looked at McGregors but, after getting onboard, were disappointed in the size relative to the H260.  If you're interested, and do get one, and it is not hampered by Covid, there is an annual event in Pensacola around June called the B.E.E.R. Cruise.  Mostly trailerables that meet up and do about a 4-5 day cruise overnighting in a few places.  

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

I’ve lived on a boat for 10 years, sailed singlehanded the east coast and Bahamas.

Sailing is not that hard unless you are racing or in bad weather. Like in a plane, if you’re somewhat conservative and stay ahead of the boat you’ll have no problems. I think you’ll get tired of daysailing pretty quickly.
I would recommend going to the Virgin Islands and chartering a sailboat to get the taste of cruising.

Tom

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’ve lived on a boat for 10 years, sailed singlehanded the east coast and Bahamas.

Sailing is not that hard unless you are racing or in bad weather. Like in a plane, if you’re somewhat conservative and stay ahead of the boat you’ll have no problems. I think you’ll get tired of daysailing pretty quickly.
I would recommend going to the Virgin Islands and chartering a sailboat to get the taste of cruising.

Tom

Agreed.  But when you don't live on the coast, don't set the bar that high:)  We're looking forward to when our boys get a bit older to take the Mooney down to the Bahamas to do a bareboat charter.  

1 hour ago, Hector said:

In 35 years of flying only once or twice was I really concerned I might not make it. In considerably less time than that on the water I’ve had more opportunities to ponder my continued existence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

this!!!!only time ive truely been terrified was on a ragbagger off of Loreto Baha Sur during a chubasco

9 hours ago, jwilcoxon78 said:

Stephen,

Sorry to hear of the sale but you'll love sailing.  

We've had a Hunter 260 for about 10 years now.  It is waterballasted but has great cabin/cockpit room, relative to trailer sailers.  We too looked at McGregors but, after getting onboard, were disappointed in the size relative to the H260.  If you're interested, and do get one, and it is not hampered by Covid, there is an annual event in Pensacola around June called the B.E.E.R. Cruise.  Mostly trailerables that meet up and do about a 4-5 day cruise overnighting in a few places.  

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

That sounds great, Mrs. Stephen and I are both in! I'll PM.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:23 PM, squeaky.stow said:

Stephen,

Best of luck to you and your family. If you are looking for an affordable entry level trailerable sailboat, check out the MacGregor 26. There are lots of them on the used market. 

I have had one for ten years and love it. Water ballast makes it light for trailering but still stable on the water. Big outboard means you can run for home at 20 knots if a big storm pops up and you don’t want to scare the wife. Two can comfortably overnight on it. 4 gets cozy.

Happy to share more details if you are interested. Just like Mooneyspace, there is a large community that share their expertise. https://www.macgregorsailors.com

Yeah and check this out...it can handle more than most people if you manage your sail area appropriately.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

@Culver LFA   Great ferry job :ph34r: , brutal head winds. If anyone else needs a ferry pilot and if he is willing, Joe was fantastic to work with and very capable, knowledgeable. 

Thanks Stephen, it was a great trip! Thank you so much for being such a great host.  Once that weather cleared in Missouri it really all came together quickly. It’s hard to believe we are able to cross the country by Mooney in 2 days (even with the headwinds!) and now I’m waiting for my Delta ride home tonight. 
You did a great job interviewing the next caretakers of N9150V.  I really wish I could have spent more time here in Oakland with Johnny!  We did get a quick flight in around the bay which I enjoyed! So beautiful

41E0CF54-88C7-463B-B951-B10542DE7DA8.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 11:02 PM, Culver LFA said:

Thanks Stephen, it was a great trip! Thank you so much for being such a great host.  Once that weather cleared in Missouri it really all came together quickly. It’s hard to believe we are able to cross the country by Mooney in 2 days (even with the headwinds!) and now I’m waiting for my Delta ride home tonight. 
You did a great job interviewing the next caretakers of N9150V.  I really wish I could have spent more time here in Oakland with Johnny!  We did get a quick flight in around the bay which I enjoyed! So beautiful

41E0CF54-88C7-463B-B951-B10542DE7DA8.jpeg

Awesome, hope you made it home well; great job on the ferry and NICE views on the last flight. Did you get some good pics of Sedona? 

• 1 year later...

Hi gang. I hope this messages finds you well and safe. I did end up getting the big sailboat, a Privilege 39 catamaran (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/privilege-39 ) and am refitting it for full time live-aboard starting mid 2023. I have a bunch of mooney/aviation stuff for sale that I need to get up on classifieds here and probably will be doing so soon. 

Kind regards,

Stephen

• Like 8