N9150V Sold and I am on to blue'er pastures

Stephen

HI MS,

We just closed on N9150V and would like to publicly thank the forum for all your wonderful support!!!!! I am sure the new owners will pop up here somewhere and can look forward to participating in the extremely high-value community. My software deal fell through ("Time kills all deals") so my wife and I are aiming some of our proceeds at some recently occurring medical expenses (our youngest son was in a very serious car wreck but is now out of the woods and healing quickly :)) ....and on the lighter side learning to sail!  We are looking for an entry level trailer sailboat (Catalina? O'Day etc??? 22-27 ft) that we can use to have fun and learn as a step to eventually becoming semi-full time catamaran cruisers in a few years. To supplement that activity, I am planning on taking sailing classes and looking for daysail/passage crew opportunities in the coming  year or two. Anyway, thank you again for all your contributions, encouragement and support and I'm off to those blue-er pastures, although being water not skies (for now). That said, BLUE SKIES and Tailwinds to you all!

Kind regards,

Stephen Holcomb

Formerly KHAE

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Stephen,

Best of luck to you and your family. If you are looking for an affordable entry level trailerable sailboat, check out the MacGregor 26. There are lots of them on the used market. 

I have had one for ten years and love it. Water ballast makes it light for trailering but still stable on the water. Big outboard means you can run for home at 20 knots if a big storm pops up and you don’t want to scare the wife. Two can comfortably overnight on it. 4 gets cozy.

Happy to share more details if you are interested. Just like Mooneyspace, there is a large community that share their expertise. https://www.macgregorsailors.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

HI MS,

We just closed on N9150V and would like to publicly thank the forum for all your wonderful support!!!!! I am sure the new owners will pop up here somewhere and can look forward to participating in the extremely high-value community. My software deal fell through ("Time kills all deals") so my wife and I are aiming some of our proceeds at some recently occurring medical expenses (our youngest son was in a very serious car wreck but is now out of the woods and healing quickly :)) ....and on the lighter side learning to sail!  We are looking for an entry level trailer sailboat (Catalina? O'Day etc??? 22-27 ft) that we can use to have fun and learn as a step to eventually becoming semi-full time catamaran cruisers in a few years. To supplement that activity, I am planning on taking sailing classes and looking for daysail/passage crew opportunities in the coming  year or two. Anyway, thank you again for all your contributions, encouragement and support and I'm off to those blue-er pastures, although being water not skies (for now). That said, BLUE SKIES and Tailwinds to you all!

Kind regards,

Stephen Holcomb

Formerly KHAE

I once thought it would be cool to get a sail boat and see the world. 

I have a friend who lived on a boat in the Everett Wa. marina. I spent two weeks living with him on the boat. 

That kind of ruined it for me, Or I would need a much bigger boat!

And there really are pirates!

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I once thought it would be cool to get a sail boat and see the world. 

I have a friend who lived on a boat in the Everett Wa. marina. I spent two weeks living with him on the boat. 

That kind of ruined it for me, Or I would need a much bigger boat!

And there really are pirates!

Understandable and wise advice. Taking it one step at a time with a little boat first should be under < 5AMU (....or is that now BMU now for me????) for first boat to see if Mrs. Stephen and myself both are game for next steps. Since you, like I, am from AZ, check out Sailing SV Delos on Youtube. He is from Flagstaff (Go Lunberjacks!!) and has a very nicely developed 10 year running world sailing channel that is worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/c/svdelos/videos 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Thanks for all you have done for the Mooney Community, Stephen

Wow, I don't know how much I have contributed - literally infinitesimal compared to others on this thread - but I was deeply rewarded and very much appreciative of the MS community exchange ! 

Hi Stephen,

Best of wishes to you on your next adventure.

When my wife and I lived in the Annapolis, MD area we always had a sailboat (a Catalina 25 and later an O'Day 32 - both were fun boats, but may not be trailerable) and sailed the Chesapeake Bay.   There is nothing quite as relaxing as sailing into a new creek, dropping anchor, observing Cocktail Hour and cooking dinner.  Good times.

My brother and his wife became live-aboard cruisers in their sailboat after retiring.  They did it for 10 years, and had many great experiences.  I'm sure you will too.

I wish you the best!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Anyway, thank you again for all your contributions, encouragement and support and I'm off to those blue-er pastures, although being water not skies (for now).

Sounds to me you might be back one day!

Safe journeys and keep in touch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whiskytango said:

Hi Stephen,

Best of wishes to you on your next adventure.

When my wife and I lived in the Annapolis, MD area we always had a sailboat (a Catalina 25 and later an O'Day 32 - both were fun boats, but may not be trailerable) and sailed the Chesapeake Bay.   There is nothing quite as relaxing as sailing into a new creek, dropping anchor, observing Cocktail Hour and cooking dinner.  Good times.

My brother and his wife became live-aboard cruisers in their sailboat after retiring.  They did it for 10 years, and had many great experiences.  I'm sure you will too.

I wish you the best!!

Thanks Whiskey...if we have success with the title boat, we likely will go to a mid-size in a couple of years. So the bigger O'Day or a Tartan or something similar with improved off-shore capabilities may be next. Thanks for sharing. 

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Since you, like I, am from AZ, check out Sailing SV Delos on Youtube. He is from Flagstaff (Go Lunberjacks!!) and has a very nicely developed 10 year running world sailing channel that is worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/c/svdelos/videos 

I watch a lot of sailing channels on YouTube. Although we will definitely never do anything similar... but I love living vicariously...

A good friend of mine from our time spent in Australia is Fred Smeaton - a very accomplished competitive hang glider pilot. He and his wife retired five or six years ago, sold everything to buy a sail boat, a 13 meter single masted sailing vessel named Pit Pony. They are now in South Africa slowly making their way around the world. It sure sounds like fun to me.

Let us know where we can continue to follow your adventures as you hit the high seas.

49 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I watch a lot of sailing channels on YouTube. Although we will definitely never do anything similar... but I love living vicariously...

A good friend of mine from our time spent in Australia is Fred Smeaton - a very accomplished competitive hang glider pilot. He and his wife retired five or six years ago, sold everything to buy a sail boat, a 13 meter single masted sailing vessel named Pit Pony. They are now in South Africa slowly making their way around the world. It sure sounds like fun to me.

Let us know where we can continue to follow your adventures as you hit the high seas.

Thanks Paul!  I follow about 30 sailing channels and have been binging pretty intensely for about two years.

If I may go waaaay off forum for a moment, for those interested in vicariously exploring the world with Paul  and I, here are some of the better sailing channels on youtube are:

https://www.youtube.com/c/SVSeeker/videos <-- WOW

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingSoulianis/videos  <-- Fun to follow for  a newbie couple...purchased in Great Lakes, sailed down IL and Mississippi River and to the BVI/Bahamas/back to FL, then got struck by lightning....DOH. Excellent production/narration 

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingZatara/videos <-- Lately they are stuck in Fiji and it is mostly kite-surfing...first couple of seasons are great though. Also Keith, a Texan, sometimes says what he really thinks and has to pull the video down later... :D   The teen stuff is kinda : P

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingNahoa/videos 

https://www.youtube.com/c/RiggingDoctor/videos (not a huge fan of the wife's singing and ukulele...but otherwise very interesting)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZlcV5QCjzJB6Kr6-0HafYQ/videos < This guy is kind of like a German sailing Bob Ross  :) 

https://www.youtube.com/c/WindHippieSailing/videos < - no awards on high-production but this young lady gets huge props on big hoodzpah 

https://www.youtube.com/c/FreeRangeSailing/videos <-- good technical boat repair content

https://www.youtube.com/c/gonewiththewynns/videos <--- good production, decent content...wife "Niki" is occasionally copiously verbos e :D

https://www.youtube.com/c/LadyKSailing/videos <-- Decent survey of boat brand history and some good technical content

I'll be around; you guys are the best! 

Stephen

• Like 1

Stephen, 

Good luck with your future sailing endeavor!  If it were not for airplanes my family and I would be out bobbing around someplace right now.   It's something I/we have been thinking about since I was a kid. But I have yet to figure out how to afford to live on a boat and own an airplane at the same time.  I came really close to buying a 55' Tayana after I lost my C with my little run in with CO.   But I bought a K and am back in the same "boat", I just can't give up the airplane..  Yet..  We will be out there someday.  I have had loads of little sailboats and still have a Chysler 22. 

If your are looking for any first hand advice you should look up Dave and Ruth Taisch in Florida.  They lived aboard and cruised for many years and are now Mooney owners.  Great people that love to talk sailing, but beware, Dave will try to talk you out of a cat:).  For those of you not into sailing, catameran vs monohull  is debated with more passion than LOP vs ROP.   

Remember to bring along your CO detector on the boat! :)

Cheers,

Dan

42 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

Stephen, 

Good luck with your future sailing endeavor!  If it were not for airplanes my family and I would be out bobbing around someplace right now.   It's something I/we have been thinking about since I was a kid. But I have yet to figure out how to afford to live on a boat and own an airplane at the same time.  I came really close to buying a 55' Tayana after I lost my C with my little run in with CO.   But I bought a K and am back in the same "boat", I just can't give up the airplane..  Yet..  We will be out there someday.  I have had loads of little sailboats and still have a Chysler 22. 

If your are looking for any first hand advice you should look up Dave and Ruth Taisch in Florida.  They lived aboard and cruised for many years and are now Mooney owners.  Great people that love to talk sailing, but beware, Dave will try to talk you out of a cat:).  For those of you not into sailing, catameran vs monohull  is debated with more passion than LOP vs ROP.   

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan, the CO detector is definitely going on the boat! I will try to locate Dave and Ruth, great suggestion; do they have a MS handle?

13 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Not a lot of water here in CO but there are mountains and plenty of wilderness. We have a 4Runner and an Opus trailer that will go anywhere the 4Runner will go, even in 4Lo. But with lots of cold weather and even in the summer we've woken up to snow on the ground. The trailer has a really effective heater so we're not afraid of cold weather.

And the SensorCon CO detector always goes with us. There is a CO detector built into the trailer, but we trust the SensorCon and always have it with us.

Sorry for the thread drift...

• Like 2

I had (very) brief dreams of sailing but Lake Michigan is my local big water and not really suitable for a small dinghy.  So I decided on something cheaper and started flying.  

Not much to add, but a family friend filmed his trip around the world in a sailboat and it’s definitely worth the watch on YouTube.  Look up Chasing Bubbles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

See you soon... :)

Sailing experience... note the pace of upgrades... (every few years...)

• Home made sail board... Sunfish knock-off...
  • Ranger 26... family of four in a tiny boat...
  • Tartan 34... same family, growling in size...
  • Tartan 37... family grew in size, sailing got more serious... and three knots really matters...
  • Grand Banks... kids went to college... :)

See if you can find TartanSpace... or GrandBanksSpace... (or equivalent)

This is not firsthand experience... I own a plane... some family member may have owned a boat...  :)

Expect the addiction to the sea... to be equally compelling... and AMU = BMU...

Good luck with your next steps Stephen!

Congrats on the sale and the sail,

-a-

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, carusoam said:

This is not firsthand experience... I own a plane... some family member may have owned a boat...  :)

Expect the addiction to the sea... to be equally compelling... and AMU = BMU...

Good luck with your next steps Stephen!

Congrats on the sale and the sail,

-a-

Congratulations on your newest addiction, Stephen. I grew up with a series of small fishing boats, and am in the midst of finding out for myself that bith definitions I've always heard of 'boat' are accurate:

• boat (n) /bote/ - a hole in the water that you fill with money
  • BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand 

And mine is just a small fishing boat. For a while, I was an All-Ranger man . . . . courtesy of my M20-C Ranger.

20190818_140858.thumb.jpg.233ef3a6328ce5cb88a5fc67248d5dcc.jpg

20190818_140917.thumb.jpg.1efe12ce5f1e1b08e9b3d2982bf14540.jpg

20201114_140752.thumb.jpg.075a92b0dc316d4fe341b23e6f4c9a79.jpg

Edited by Hank
  • Like 4