Anyone one have a couple of these?

So I took like half of the plane apart and put it back together and only ended up loosing one (two really) part. It’s the O-shit handle strap ends for above the copilot panel on the ceiling. I think they are the same as the door handle (aluminum caps).  I’m going to get another leather trap made to match the door panel but like these end caps  

Anyone have any of these laying around collecting dust?

9CC2C210-FA96-4CA4-988E-39B491C2ECEB.thumb.jpeg.4c8c67fbfa9d735d0d8daa85340fb1db.jpeg

6 hours ago, jamesm said:

A leather belt works as well.

Solid, not bonded leather.  A piece of an old belt is perfect for this.  Looks good and lasts for years.

As for the aluminum cover piece, that's probably the easiest Mooney part to fabricate yourself.  Worth a try.

• Like 2

I used a leather belt for strength, wrapped in in the same leather as the seats (Hand sewn along one side) and machined a new set (lathe and milling machine to make a real slot that fits the belt) and now have parts that look like they were made for the application with a real handle that will not break.

John Breda

• Like 1

It is a big chunk of alum.  Spin it out on lathe.  Mill relief for strap.  File and finish.  Paint as desired.   since you fired up the mill it would be cool to add a camera mount.  So thread for 1/4" 20 threads

Edited by Yetti

4 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

You say that like everyone has a lathe?

I have two woodlathes in my basement that could probably make these from aluminum using my wood gouges. And there are several metal lathes here at work . . . . Finding someone near you with access shouldn't be terribly difficult. 

I don't think you need a lathe for that.   Tape a stack of dimes together, put a washcloth over them, and tap out the shape with a ball-peen hammer from a little piece of aluminum.   Some time with a drill and a couple of files to finish it.   Many people have those kinds of basic tools around, and scrap aluminum pieces are not hard to obtain or practice with.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:09 AM, Nukemzzz said:

Alan has the set for $40 and Lasar has new ones for $25.... if it takes longer than 15 minutes to make new ones its cheaper for me to buy them.  Time is money!  lol

$25 each is like free in airplane speak. New ones would look great!

On 1/5/2021 at 10:47 AM, EricJ said:

I don't think you need a lathe for that.   Tape a stack of dimes together, put a washcloth over them, and tap out the shape with a ball-peen hammer from a little piece of aluminum.   Some time with a drill and a couple of files to finish it.   Many people have those kinds of basic tools around, and scrap aluminum pieces are not hard to obtain or practice with.

They are a bit more structural than that.  For those of you lathe poor.  Chunk of alum.  drill the center hole.  put a bolt in it.  Chuck it in a drill.   file to your hearts content.   Will there is aways.  Think billet not decorative.