Today’s flight for 2021

On 4/30/2021 at 5:50 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

I had a nice Cross Country flight last week, flying from the U.P. to Las Vegas / Henderson Field for the LOBO (Lancair Owners & Builders Organization) for their Annual Convention.  We saw some pretty serious headwinds on the way out, so needed to stop in Fort Morgan, CO for fuel.  Those mountains look a tad bit less intimidating from FL280 (compared to previous flights with less capable airplanes).  It took us 5.5 hours to fly out, but thankfully the winds were nearly the same (just a bit less) for the return flight.  We were able to complete the trip home non-stop in 4 hours, covering 1600 statue miles with deviations (yes, averaged 400 MPH).  Even my wife said she is starting to really like the Lancair more than airliners now. :)

Note, the mountain picture with the airport in it is Aspen.

Return pictures to follow.

Tom

Vegas Trip 1.jpg

Vegas Trip 2.jpg

Vegas Trip 3.jpg

Vegas Trip 4.jpg

Vegas Trip 5.jpg

Vegas Trip Aspen.jpg

Well, "return pictures to follow" took a little longer than it should have.  We flew the return non-stop, 4 hours, 1600 statue miles.  Same winds as the 5.5 hour trip out (with fuel stop in Fort Morgan) ..... 30-50 KMPH out of the west.  Those big rocks in Colorado don't look quite as scary from FL270 - FL280.

First picture shows a pretty interesting cloud.  Looks like a flying saucer.  Last picture at the far eastern edge of the Rockies, just before hitting the front range, you can see the wind blowing the snow off the top of the mountain peak.

Tom

Vegas return 1.jpg

Vegas Return 2.jpg

Vegas Return 3.jpg

Vegas Return 4.jpg

Vegas Return 5.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Well, "return pictures to follow" took a little longer than it should have.  We flew the return non-stop, 4 hours, 1600 statue miles.  Same winds as the 5.5 hour trip out (with fuel stop in Fort Morgan) ..... 30-50 KMPH out of the west.  Those big rocks in Colorado don't look quite as scary from FL270 - FL280.

First picture shows a pretty interesting cloud.  Looks like a flying saucer.  Last picture at the far eastern edge of the Rockies, just before hitting the front range, you can see the wind blowing the snow off the top of the mountain peak.

Tom

Vegas return 1.jpg

Vegas Return 2.jpg

Vegas Return 3.jpg

Vegas Return 4.jpg

Vegas Return 5.jpg

How did you manage 1600 mi in 4 hr? That's 400mph. Were you in a Mooney?

4 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

How did you manage 1600 mi in 4 hr? That's 400mph. Were you in a Mooney?

Tom,

Yooper is a long time Mooneyman...

But, for this flight.... there is a turbine engine pulling his sled...

Lancair IVPT....

:)

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, carusoam said:

Tom,

Yooper is a long time Mooneyman...

But, for this flight.... there is a turbine engine pulling his sled...

Lancair IVPT....

:)

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

Yep, you're comparing piston apples to turbine oranges. :lol:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Did my Biennial flight review today with the local weather man, turned Aviation addict - JP Dice.  He is a Mooney owner (J) and flies corporate. During the ground part, he asked me about my weather planning. I said - I know a guy :). 

I tried to demonstrate stalls, but could not! The GFC 500 is smarter than me and kept overriding the impending stall. 

Anyway, I am good for another 2 years. Anyone in Alabama looking for Mooney specific instructor, I do not hesitate to recommend JP. He is on your side - if you are local you know what I mean. I learned several good tips from him, we didn't just do the 1 hour of flying thing for the check ride. He meet me at my skill level and tried to add some value along the way. Very professional and easy to work with. 

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/05/27/time-has-come-follow-my-other-passion-j-p-dice-leaving-pursue-aviation-career/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PMcClure said:

I tried to demonstrate stalls, but could not! The GFC 500 is smarter than me and kept overriding the impending stall. 

You can temporarily disable ESP via the G5. ESP will automatically re-enable on your next flight, but probably best to switch it back on manually when you’re done with stalls. 

(Note that you can also hold down the AP disco button to override ESP iirc..)

25 minutes ago, toto said:

You can temporarily disable ESP via the G5. ESP will automatically re-enable on your next flight, but probably best to switch it back on manually when you’re done with stalls. 

(Note that you can also hold down the AP disco button to override ESP iirc..)

Or pull the AP circuit breaker. We were satisfied with the demonstration and moved on to the next task. Cool to watch it work. 

• Like 1

Just now, PMcClure said:

Or pull the AP circuit breaker. We were satisfied with the demonstration and moved on to the next task. Cool to watch it work. 

Yep. The first time I flew with the GFC500, I was really surprised at how effective the ESP was when you were *trying* to override it. I ultimately decided that I wasn’t capable of making the airplane stall without disabling ESP. 

Seymour,

Work with me here…

I want to orient your pics properly… it’s what I do…

I downloaded your pics…

But all I got was a fancy file name…. :)

See if you can use the paper clip thing at the bottom of the page… where it says choose file… then pick where your pics are hiding…

Post them here…

The usual result…. MS will turn them sideways automatically…

Then call me… :)

I really want to see the islands.

Best regards,

-a-

sharing flight I made today… picked up daughter from a summer camp. In my mind, it completely justifies the money spend on getting Mooney…

to date, 200 hrs flying, 104 hours in a mooney… resolution, finish IFR ASAP, it would make today flying so much easier and better (go higher to avoid high temps) if I could file IFR…

908C67DB-BCAB-4096-8D45-B3DF2CE14A57.jpeg

1D608085-E3F9-4FB2-A03A-0886D011F261.jpeg

• Like 5

Yesterday I took my nephews, visiting from Salt Lake City, to lunch at the Spruce Goose Cafe in Port Townsend (0S9), a 15 nm flight.  They each got to pilot for about 20 minutes on the way to/from. They are the same ages as some of my grandkids 

AE8FBB66-FE70-4AEA-BF49-D165FECF18BA.jpeg

4340E1B0-3EB6-45F7-8A8D-8D4119A16935.jpeg

FF10FC0E-07A3-4584-8816-823E98BD4A99.jpeg

A5BB907E-4FA3-4D2D-BC8F-8947A1DD7223.jpeg

• Like 2

Eric, what's for breakfast in Star?

There are two places you can walk to. Both are 100% redneck and straight out of 1950.

Martha’s Grill - north side, short walk, restaurant at a gas station, there is a path mowed thru the field connecting the airport grounds to the parking lot. If it rained hard in the last couple of days you could get wet/muddy. Had me a western omelette.

Sherry’s Family Restaurant - about a 5 minute walk in the opposite direction, walk down the railroad tracks, which is kinda fun. Restaurant will be on the left side.

If you’re the oldest person here, be prepared to be the youngest person, probably by half, at either place. And be prepared to step back in time. I would think kids would enjoy the walk down the tracks.
  • Like 2

Today flying in to Burlington, VT, I was charging in pretty good as I often do into towered airports since often they ask to keep speed up for the flow, and 15 miles out I was still doing 190-195 and upon switch to tower I was told I was second in line to land behind a landing Cirrus on 5 mile final but to slow down since I was doing 70 knots overtaking.  That was fun.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As a full disclaimer, not a mooney flight but scenery made up for it… 

On family vacation in Kauai, went for a flight with Wings over Kauai for ‘instructional’ flight following the same route as helicopters fly. Lucked out on the weather, the views were absolutely breathtaking and going over the ridge from Waimea canyon to Napali coast and drop from 5,500 ft to 2,000 ft was amazing. 

Marcus Madison was my CFI and took care of the radios, position updates to other flights and reading wind action. I would highly recommend flying with those guys. Not cheap but nothing on the island seems to be… here are a few pix.

@carusoam, please need help with rotating some of the pictures, definitely didn’t fly upside down.

78757793-9562-40E9-91D1-F5BEB1238151.jpeg

29D8DAC8-75F1-4365-B232-BD24ADB24E76.jpeg

DC712A5C-4CD9-4775-9939-433A478C3830.jpeg

58208A55-0330-4F24-9001-94F47E2315E5.jpeg

83197A69-DD67-4361-8C28-9F9C5859B845.jpeg

63295DB4-641D-41D9-9DAC-95A4AC6D2E94.jpeg

• Like 2