Today’s flight for 2021

On 4/18/2021 at 7:18 AM, aviatoreb said:

I've always loved this picture concept - the last moment of sun ball before it disappears on a clear evening when the air is perfectly clear and humidity low.  

I find it to be very cool to take off right after sunset and then see the sun again as you gain altitude.  It tickles my fancy.

KAVX

IMG_9729.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Help!  I got Simpsonized!  

Yesterday was my birthday and Liz surprised me with a Simpsonized artwork of me standing in front of the pi-plane.  It doesn't as much look like me as it looks like the idea of me, which is what everyone who guest stars in the Simpsons ends up like.  I also went flying with my son - over to Lake Champlain near Burlington in view - I tried to take a picture in front of the plane just like the Simpson version but I crossed my arms instead of arms on hips and it didn't work.  I will try again today.  I wore the right hat and sunglasses though.

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

image0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

9D9 Hastings MI to MBL Manistee MI and back. More orientation flights than training. Wanted to acquaint myself with the plane. Normally wouldn't have gone because winds were strong and gusty, but I closed on the plane almost 3 weeks ago and this is the first time stars aligned to go fly. Decent weather, a CFI and free time. 

Poor landings on both legs. I had winds probably 60 degrees off axis landing Rwy 28 at MBL. I was paranoid about the length of the more favorable Rwy 01 which is 2721ft long. Fought the crosswind all the way down to landing.

On the return leg everything went better. Felt orders of magnitude more comfortable in the plane. Winds were mostly steady 360@10 landing Rwy 30. I came across the threshold with too much speed and bounced it. 

Too windy and too tired to try more. I'll wait for a better day. BUT, I finally flew MY Rocket!  :)

Interesting aside. Nearly 50kt tailwind. Flew MBL-9D9 at 7500. 32MP and 2500 RPM gave us 160ish indicated. Over 220kts gs. 38 min takeoff to touchdown while pulling power back and experimenting with MP/RPM settings along the way back.

Attached track log still shows the previous owner...

EDEF6757-FD3B-4892-9B5D-B58AB30CE088.jpeg

Edited by Stetson20
Added Flight Aware track log
  • Like 3

I had a nice Cross Country flight last week, flying from the U.P. to Las Vegas / Henderson Field for the LOBO (Lancair Owners & Builders Organization) for their Annual Convention.  We saw some pretty serious headwinds on the way out, so needed to stop in Fort Morgan, CO for fuel.  Those mountains look a tad bit less intimidating from FL280 (compared to previous flights with less capable airplanes).  It took us 5.5 hours to fly out, but thankfully the winds were nearly the same (just a bit less) for the return flight.  We were able to complete the trip home non-stop in 4 hours, covering 1600 statue miles with deviations (yes, averaged 400 MPH).  Even my wife said she is starting to really like the Lancair more than airliners now. :)

Note, the mountain picture with the airport in it is Aspen.

Return pictures to follow.

Tom

Vegas Trip 1.jpg

Vegas Trip 2.jpg

Vegas Trip 3.jpg

Vegas Trip 4.jpg

Vegas Trip 5.jpg

Vegas Trip Aspen.jpg

• Like 7

Yesterday's night currency flight.....was canceled because in the time it took to drive to the airport, 3000' VFR ceilings turned into MVFR with a developing layer flattened out at pattern altitude.  Weather gods giveth, taketh, etc.

IMG_9864.jpeg

Before Sunday last, I hadn't intentionally flown below Virga since 1981.  Sadly, a about 10 NM of it lay between me and my destination.  Told my co-pilot, my 25 y.o. son to tighten his seat belt and get ready for a roller coaster ride.

Slowed to Va in the descent.  Wow...   Faith in the Mooney wing.  Despite tightening my seat belt, top of my headphones still touched the top of the cabin.  Several rapid swings from +1000 fpm to -1000 fpm with no change in attitude.   60-degree roll excursions.  The ol' bird felt solid as a rock.   The PC system rapidly recovered from roll upsets.  Impressive!

Sorry no photographic proof.  All cabin items were secured, except the CO monitor which got flung off its mount.   I need to add some velcro to that system.

• Like 2

0tree, that sounds less like virga and more like the nasty storm line that blew through yesterday, and it's twin due today. I've had fairly calm descents on approach through virga--in fact, my CFII took me through some on purpose just to practice having the field appear then go away then come back then go away, so that when it happened to me for real, it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

With a freshly minted medical the goal was to fly and get current.   Everything was MVFR  tried to make it to the north when suddenly I was in the clouds.   Unlike the video the plane did not fall out of the sky in 37 seconds.   My well executed turn put me into real clouds.   I kept turning and came out.  But then I was kind of lost.   Like where was the airport lost.  Apparently I did more than a 180 in the clouds.   So the airport was not where I thought it should be.   Finished up getting day current again with 4 landings.

it is a privilege to fly and experience it.

Got to go on a trip out to moab and bend, and while I was there, stopped at a couple uncharted strips. First one was fields for the second time in southern oregon. Second one was later today at panoche valley. A smaller 2000ft grass/gravel runway in central california just south of mercy hot springs.

20210506_133302.jpg

20210513_151649.jpg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, geoffb said:

So at Fields you just land on the road?

Precisely. There's about 3000ft of road usable with no signs along it. I'd highly recommend. Its a very cool place to check out.

• Like 1

About a month ago we flew up to Redding in Northern California for my granddaughter's baptism. To escape the LA Basin we headed east to find clear skies and get on top of the marine layer. I'm still working on the IFR rating or it would have been an easy climb up through it.... I didn't have cameras going but flying past Mt Wilson with the marine layer pushed right up against the mountain I pulled out my phone for this quick video.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2021 at 6:01 AM, Hank said:

0tree, that sounds less like virga and more like the nasty storm line that blew through yesterday, and it's twin due today. I've had fairly calm descents on approach through virga--in fact, my CFII took me through some on purpose just to practice having the field appear then go away then come back then go away, so that when it happened to me for real, it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Definitely virga.  I was approaching  Greeley, Colorado.