Today’s flight for 2021

Flying around today - learning how to use my new pair of GI275's.  Pictures of them soon and report when I get all the bugs sorted out.  Funny bug - the OAT sensor was placed where it seems to be getting a bit of exhaust stack waft - and it is reading about 20C high when in flight even though it reads right on the ground.

The lakes are still frozen and our local ski place is still open.  I flew in shorts but it snowed here just this past thurs.  Location is right over Malone, NY right by the northern border.  Hello Canada off my other wing and Montreal in the distance (not in the picture off my left wing).

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stetson20 said:

Not a flight but taken from my hangar at 9D9 Thursday. I counted over 21 hawks- all right over the airport.

pics taken with my crappy iphone 8 camera.. but yall get the idea :D

hawk2.jpg

hawk1.jpg

Hawks? Or turkey buzzards? The latter tend to spiral around over airports, looking for something to eat in the grass. Large white areas under the wings. If you fly through or near them, they will fold their wings and drop away, even if above you . . . . Forewarned is forearmed!

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Hawks? Or turkey buzzards? The latter tend to spiral around over airports, looking for something to eat in the grass. Large white areas under the wings. If you fly through or near them, they will fold their wings and drop away, even if above you . . . . Forewarned is forearmed!

Yes probably turkey buzzards then. I've never seen a bunch of big birds together like that before. I was fascinated!

Flew to Santa Barbara for lunch with some friends. They were in their Moose and we did a little loose formation on the way to get some pictures. We brought our good camera with the zoom lens and got some pics for them, they took some with an iPhone that are nice, just no close up. On the way back just after going over LAX through the Special flight Rules area we got to fly past the Goodyear Blimp.

I had the most amazing burger, sliced bratwurst, bacon, onion strips, and BBQ sauce.

IMG_8103.thumb.JPG.d778e40778cdc3e7d3085a5c39501ec6.JPGsignal-2021-04-10-130614_002.thumb.jpeg.57548a5ff3bbad353d41bb8a59c841bb.jpegsignal-2021-04-10-130614_007.thumb.jpeg.156ba9e29d7da7c0f105b37d0efbe63d.jpegsignal-2021-04-10-162848.thumb.jpeg.2cfc9dd9ee1d9674e8dfddddbc247264.jpeg20210410_131810.thumb.jpg.4761c9f8220752c4652f355d31609407.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

Flew to Santa Barbara for lunch with some friends. . . .

I had the most amazing burger, sliced bratwurst, bacon, onion strips, and BBQ sauce.

20210410_131810.thumb.jpg.4761c9f8220752c4652f355d31609407.jpg

Silly me! I thought the onion strips were a side dish!! Guess sausage and bacon were in the burger, too? :D

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hank said:

Silly me! I thought the onion strips were a side dish!! Guess sausage and bacon were in the burger, too? :D

It was ALL in the burger, even a slice of cheese hiding out in there. A recalculated weight and balance was in order before departing....:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Nice evening flight last night in the U.P.

Lancair 4-17-21.jpg

I've always loved this picture concept - the last moment of sun ball before it disappears on a clear evening when the air is perfectly clear and humidity low.  

I find it to be very cool to take off right after sunset and then see the sun again as you gain altitude.  It tickles my fancy.

• Like 1

Gorgeous day yesterday.  Still learning and practicing with my new GI275 pair.  I never had GPSS before and I love it.  The KFC200 rides like on rails with the GPSS and sharp GI275 guidance.

This is St Lawrence Seaway - I am practice missed on RNAV05 with a the turn directly at the border.  That is the bridge between Massena, NY toward Cornwall, ON, but it connects to the Askwesane Island called Cornwall Island.  Following the river up to the horizon there is Montreal which you can't really see in the day, but you can see it clearly with the evening lights.

IMG_1885.jpg

• Like 6