Today’s flight for 2021

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday got Al out and wanted to take a couple laps around the apron to get the engine warmed up for an oil change.     It was a little strange that the fuel did not make full pressure with the boost pump.    Engine fired up.   started smelling 100LL wondered where that is coming from.  Maybe a bit much boost pump since it is cold.  At some point I looked over and saw something dripping in the copilot footwell.  Shut down and throw out the now 100LL soaked piece of cardboard.   I would have to guess the really cold weather popped the safety valve on the back of the the FP gauge.   Good thing I have all the parts for the Dynon and moving that 100LL back to the other side of the firewall.

Oil changed.

• Like 1

Well, two weeks ago I flew back from San Jose, Costa Rica, MROC, to Ilopango, San Salvador (MSSS). I had stayed for 5 days in San Jose. First the bad:

a) Cold Front: due to a very strong cold front I had to extend my stay in San Jose by two days. Winds were for those two days above 25kts, gusting to 40kts...so not being familiar with the area (many hills) I decided that the most prudent thing to do would be to stay on the ground. My cover even got damaged by the winds...

b) Fees: Once I was able to leave, I got my bill: sticker shock US$ 540 just for leaving the plane outside, plus US$ 178 overflight permit for Nicaragua and US$ 230 for gas (40 gallons). 

Now the interesting things:

The day I decided to leave winds were still strong, but it was a beautiful day. Take off was interesting... very gusty but nice way of remembering why we train so much.

And finally the good:

Then the scenery was magnificent. Once I got out of the valley in San Jose and above the hills (11,000 feet) the ride was smooth... 

I know I posted a video of the flight as well as of the return flight in the video section so here we are:

A death in the family necessitated a flight to Wisconsin to attend the Memorial Service.  The weather was as forecast with clear skies on trip up and lower ceilings on return.  The Mooney allowed us to attend an afternoon service and still get home before sunset.  The flight up was quick at 175knots and a stiff headwind on return saw ground speeds of 145knots.  The weather in Iowa/Midwest has been unusually cold with single digit highs the norm of late.  Overcast and snow conditions have been the order of the day.  It was nice, even under sad circumstances to get a flight in that had purpose.  Love the Missile.

F6D866A2-9A53-4A5D-AF87-86A3E912B12F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, MISSILEFLYER said:

A death in the family necessitated a flight to Wisconsin to attend the Memorial Service.  The weather was as forecast with clear skies on trip up and lower ceilings on return.  The Mooney allowed us to attend an afternoon service and still get home before sunset.  The flight up was quick at 175knots and a stiff headwind on return saw ground speeds of 145knots.  The weather in Iowa/Midwest has been unusually cold with single digit highs the norm of late.  Overcast and snow conditions have been the order of the day.  It was nice, even under sad circumstances to get a flight in that had purpose.  Love the 

F6D866A2-9A53-4A5D-AF87-86A3E912B12F.jpeg

A funeral is a sad occasion for sure.  In context the photo is very serene.  Than you for sharing.  I am sorry for the loss.

• Like 1

The coolest thing about having a Mooney...

The ability to be with family, with very little notice...

Always use caution... emotional tough times can be a challenge for safe flight... can be a real source of distraction...

PP thoughts only, something I read about from MooneyGirl...

:)
Best regards,

-a-

Lot's of flying recently. IFR training flights on the 20th, 24th, and 27th. You can read about those flights over in my training thread or on my blog.

In between I squeezed a short 15 minute flight on the 26th over to KRAL after work for some less expensive fuel and to see what it looks like outside the plane when you are flying. :lol:

20210226_181040_Moment.thumb.jpg.cad17d6cda638177de2e0b9202085bc4.jpg

20210226_185133_Moment.thumb.jpg.369bbad532cf0447fc2acf881c7170ae.jpg

Yesterday afternoon after my morning IFR training flight my wife and I took her sister-in-law for her first small plane flight along the coast down to KSEE for a late lunch. The smallest plane she had previously been in was a 12 passenger puddle jumper. It was a little hazy but a beautiful flight none the less. She enjoyed it. On the way back we took a turn over the Port of Long Beach to see all the container ships that are stuck waiting to unload. (@Hyett6420, life jackets on everyone)

20210227_134625.thumb.jpg.b347cdff6b3432581e078e2a62c40752.jpg20210227_155415.thumb.jpg.aedad1aefbc94ec3546930235608b861.jpg20210227_163322.thumb.jpg.ec1f3476762590426643602ffa5dfac4.jpg

• Like 6

Annual finished quick lap then went up for a loose formation flight yesterday. Then today a quick flight with a couple of buddies one in another Mooney one in a Comanche out to chiriaco summit for breakfast and to walk around the tanks at the Patton meuseum. 

20210305_175629.jpg

20210306_084148.jpg

20210306_095111.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Jeph,

Just like old times! :)

Got any pics of the tanks?

Best regards,

-a-

I have been there a few times and snapped plenty of pics previously so didn't take any this time.  Sorry to disappoint will look for the ones I have and update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Post maintenance test flight today, had to go back to the shop to get a bit more adjustment done to the rudder, ball wasn't quite centered in cruise. Here is a picture of Clarence making the adjustment for me - I believe that this may be the only picture on MS of the Doc.

Rudder.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ohdub said:

Post maintenance test flight today, had to go back to the shop to get a bit more adjustment done to the rudder, ball wasn't quite centered in cruise. Here is a picture of Clarence making the adjustment for me - I believe that this may be the only picture on MS of the Doc.

Rudder.jpg

My first thought was Wow, he's tall! Then I scrolled down and saw the stool way at the bottom, off screen at the beginning . . . .

• Haha 1