Max gross vs landing weight

TheStig

For the long body owners out there, how do you deal with max gross and max landing. What happens if you take off at max gross 3368 but need to turn around and land immediately? So maybe not 168 over the 3200# but let’s just say 150# over max landing.

The procedure is outlined in Section III of the AFM. Basically approach speed of 80 KIAS, flatter approach, attempt smooth touch down. Allow 600 feet extra over a 50 ft obstacle.  Then conduct Gear and Tire Servicing inspection as outlined in Section VIII of the AFM.

• Like 3

Exactly ^^^, it's considered an emergency procedure followed by an inspection per it's inclusion in the emergency procedures section. Not intended to be a normal procedure.
That said, nothing difficult about it once one is proficient at landings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Exactly ^^^, it's considered an emergency procedure followed by an inspection per it's inclusion in the emergency procedures section. Not intended to be a normal procedure.
That said, nothing difficult about it once one is proficient at landings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yeah I have not poured over POH yet. But I an looking at flight planning and wondered if people typically plan take-offs above max landing weight when doing trips with more people and gear, or if it’s something that is more typically avoided.

15 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Thank you. Yeah I have not poured over POH yet. But I an looking at flight planning and wondered if people typically plan take-offs above max landing weight when doing trips with more people and gear, or if it’s something that is more typically avoided.

Not unusual at all doing cross country flights. But its something to be well aware for example when your doing short flights and especially in your transition training; I always try to avoid the need to do an hour of air work before we can do our first practice landing!

18 minutes ago, TheStig said:

It’s relatively common in higher performance/bigger airplanes.  Just something you get use to planning for.  Unless you’re doing pattern work before departing xc as @kortopates mentioned or making a short flight with lots of people and extra fuel (long range alternate?), it usually solves itself.  Well, maybe trying to ferry cheap fuel across state lines after taking some hefty neighbors for $100 hamburgers?

The only time I'm that heavy is with max fuel for long distance XC, or with family, bags and med fuel going med distance XC.

Landing immediately after takeoff would be for an emergency/system failure, with landing technique as stated previously.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As Paul mentioned it’s a good idea to practice just under 3200 lbs to find the difference in sink rate, power needed to stay coordinated and make a smooth touchdown. It’s not a requirement to have the tires and gear checked after a overweight landing IF it was a smooth touchdown although a good idea. I Left for vacation at about 3300 lbs obviously in instrument conditions and my door opened I proceeded to do a flatter approach and smooth landing, I had the plane examined per section 8 the first question asked was it a smooth landing which it may have been my smoothest ever, five minutes later I was told your good to go no charge. My POH states if the landing is not smooth it’s recommended to check out the plane in accordance to section 8, in the unfortunate event a landing is necessary make sure your flat, a little power needed to grease it on then your good.

Thank you very much guys. This is super helpful for me and my wife as we start to think about longer trips with the load where we will need all the UL we can squeeze out if the plane.

Our combined bodies are 520lbs, we have a UL of ~940, so with 59 gal, we can take 80lbs of bags and gear.

That will give us around 4 hrs of flying with reserves. That’s about all the bladders can handle anyway so this seems doable.

How do others plan flights with the family?

37 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Thank you very much guys. This is super helpful for me and my wife as we start to think about longer trips with the load where we will need all the UL we can squeeze out if the plane.

Our combined bodies are 520lbs, we have a UL of ~940, so with 59 gal, we can take 80lbs of bags and gear.

That will give us around 4 hrs of flying with reserves. That’s about all the bladders can handle anyway so this seems doable.

How do others plan flights with the family?

You must not be flying a Bravo. 60 gal gives me 2.5 hrs + 30 min reserves. Slightly jealous...

When doing the WnB calcs....

You can graph hourly numbers as the fuel goes away...

there is a big window to operate within... and a dashed line where you want to be to land below...

It takes about an hour to burn off the excess fuel...

Once you are proficient... you will know the difference between a really smooth landing... and one that you want to perform the inspections afterwards... :)

Mooneys are incredibly strong airplanes... throughout a really wide range of crummy landings...

Try to not combine crummy with highly loaded landings...

PP thoughts only not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-