Looking for CFI - M20K

Can anyone help me find a CFI with time in the M20K?  I am looking for a CFI for flight training in N57055, an M20K I have made a deposit to buy that is currently based in Prescott AZ.  My best insurance quote requires me to get 2 hours instruction from a CFI with 50hours recent MK20 time.  Another requires me to get 3 hours training from a CFI with 10 hours recent MK20 time.  Does anyone know of a qualified M20K CFI in the Prescott or Phoenix area that may be available sometime during 20-31 January 2021?  My earliest closing date is 19 January.  Additionally, if possible, I would like to do a pre-buy flight on 17 Jan going up to 17000' to exercise the turbo and Oxygen system.  A pre-buy inspection is tentatively scheduled for 18 January with Tom Town, who operates a repair shop in Williams.  I live in Huntsville, AL.  

6 hours ago, shoyt said:

Can anyone help me find a CFI with time in the M20K?  [...] My best insurance quote requires me to get 2 hours instruction from a CFI with 50hours recent MK20 time.  Another requires me to get 3 hours training from a CFI with 10 hours recent MK20 time.  Does anyone know of a qualified M20K CFI in the Prescott or Phoenix area [...]

Boris Vasilev is (or was) in Phoenix near KDVT.  I used him in 2019 when I bought my M20R and I was impressed with his knowledge.  My insurance requirement was about the same as yours but I spent a few more hours with him to get more comfortable with landings.  His contact info is on the Mooney Flyer website.  Other instructors are listed there if you want to compare.

6 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Paging the Doctor... @KLRDMD

Happy to help. I'm in Tucson but it isn't that far to PRC. I do a lot of transition training into Mooneys, mostly K models. I've owned four Mooneys including a K and have over 500 hours in K models and over 1,000 hours in Mooneys total.

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, atpdave said:

Boris Vasilev is (or was) in Phoenix near KDVT.  I used him in 2019 when I bought my M20R and I was impressed with his knowledge.  My insurance requirement was about the same as yours but I spent a few more hours with him to get more comfortable with landings.  His contact info is on the Mooney Flyer website.  Other instructors are listed there if you want to compare.

Boris is still in Phoenix, I just talked with him yesterday. He's a good guy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Cat is in the bag!  I purchased N57055, previously based in Prescott Arizona.  What an awesome airplane.  I struggled to find a CFI that any insurance company would approve.  I was required to get 3 hours of instruction and the CFI was Boris Vasilev.  I cant say enough good about Boris.  He was concise and put me through the drills.  I have flown the Mooney M20C and M20J, but it has been ten years.  Also, I just started flying again after a nine year lapse.  This year I have about 60 hours in Cessna 182R and C172N and 5 hours in Piper Arrow PA28-200.  Anyway, Boris introduced me to flying the M20K.  I discovered for myself that it is really easy to overboost.  I am getting dialed in.  Fortunately, N57055 has a Merlin Wastegate and an Intercooler, which greatly helps with power management.  The panel is pretty nice with Navigation centered around a GNS 430, an Aspek EFS 1000 PFD, and Aspen EFS MFD and a Garmin G5.  Coming from a steam gauge background, this is taking a little getting used to, but I am starting to get the hang of it.  There is also a KFC 200 autopilot, which is not as good as a digital autopilot, but it greatly reduces the workload compared to no autopilot.  

If you see me, I am still grinning ear to ear.

12 KAXS Stop Over Point.jpg

10 Cockpit.jpg

22 Home.jpg

29 minutes ago, shoyt said:

The Cat is in the bag!  I purchased N57055, previously based in Prescott Arizona.  What an awesome airplane.  I struggled to find a CFI that any insurance company would approve.  I was required to get 3 hours of instruction and the CFI was Boris Vasilev.  I cant say enough good about Boris.  He was concise and put me through the drills.  I have flown the Mooney M20C and M20J, but it has been ten years.  Also, I just started flying again after a nine year lapse.  This year I have about 60 hours in Cessna 182R and C172N and 5 hours in Piper Arrow PA28-200.  Anyway, Boris introduced me to flying the M20K.  I discovered for myself that it is really easy to overboost.  I am getting dialed in.  Fortunately, N57055 has a Merlin Wastegate and an Intercooler, which greatly helps with power management.  The panel is pretty nice with Navigation centered around a GNS 430, an Aspek EFS 1000 PFD, and Aspen EFS MFD and a Garmin G5.  Coming from a steam gauge background, this is taking a little getting used to, but I am starting to get the hang of it.  There is also a KFC 200 autopilot, which is not as good as a digital autopilot, but it greatly reduces the workload compared to no autopilot.  

If you see me, I am still grinning ear to ear.

12 KAXS Stop Over Point.jpg

10 Cockpit.jpg

22 Home.jpg

Congratulations shoyt!!!   You look very happy and rightly so the plane looks great!  Welcome back to the Mooney fold!!!

erik

• Like 1