Cowl Flap Cable

Good evening. It looks like the makeshift cowl flap control cable on our 63 D/C is no longer adequately getting the job done. If anyone has, or has suggestions on where I might find a suitable replacement cowl flap actuating cable & knob assembly, I would appreciate it. It looks like the part number is "21-006-94 Control Assy, Cowl Flap". Thank you for the help/suggestions.

47 minutes ago, Buckeyechuck said:

I got a replacement from Mcfarlane. Pull the old one and send it to them. They will make an exact replacement. Will need a 337 for your logs. Good luck. It’s a bit tight. 

+1

No 337 is needed. Have your A&P install it as an Owner Produced Part (which it does legally qualify as) and it’s a simple logbook entry.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

+1

No 337 is needed. Have your A&P install it as an Owner Produced Part (which it does legally qualify as) and it’s a simple logbook entry.

Unfortunately I do not have the original. Someone put in something else looks like an old Cessna mixture with no lock to it.  It worked for awhile but no longer. 

3 hours ago, Tcraft938 said:

Unfortunately I do not have the original. Someone put in something else looks like an old Cessna mixture with no lock to it.  It worked for awhile but no longer. 

I second Yves’ suggestion for McFarlane part number, though double checking length and control rod size is always a good idea.

The Owner Produced Part rationale goes like this: you asked McFarlane to make a control with locking push button with a diameter of X and a length of Z.  Your mechanic, if he/she is satisfied with its quality, can then install this in your airplane without STC, PMA, TSO, etc. using only a logbook entry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I second Yves’ suggestion for McFarlane part number, though double checking length and control rod size is always a good idea.

The Owner Produced Part rationale goes like this: you asked McFarlane to make a control with locking push button with a diameter of X and a length of Z.  Your mechanic, if he/she is satisfied with its quality, can then install this in your airplane without STC, PMA, TSO, etc. using only a logbook entry.

Thanks for the info.  I already talked to my A&P about it and he's fine with either direction, including getting a Mooney one from salvage.  Unfortunately, I don't have an original, so I do not know the correct wire diameter

2 hours ago, Tcraft938 said:

Thanks for the info.  I already talked to my A&P about it and he's fine with either direction, including getting a Mooney one from salvage.  Unfortunately, I don't have an original, so I do not know the correct wire diameter

My M20C is a 1965. I checked in my parts manual and it also states 21-006-94. Chances are the one I mentioned above from McFarlane should also work for you.

Yves

21 hours ago, Andy95W said:

+1

My A&P/IA was uncomfortable with the owner produced situation. Did the 337 as the alternative. No issue.  

• Confused 1

On 12/28/2020 at 2:43 PM, Tcraft938 said:

Good evening. It looks like the makeshift cowl flap control cable on our 63 D/C is no longer adequately getting the job done. If anyone has, or has suggestions on where I might find a suitable replacement cowl flap actuating cable & knob assembly, I would appreciate it. It looks like the part number is "21-006-94 Control Assy, Cowl Flap". Thank you for the help/suggestions.

The part number effectivity section in the back of the parts manual says your cable is an H&E1001-9.  FAA registry says your ‘63 D is serial number 152.  

Since you’re on the east coast, try contacting Alan Fox.  Out west, Paul Loewen at Loewen Mooney Salvage has a large inventory.  https://www.loewensmooneysalvage.com/  If you can get your hands on one, even if unserviceable, McFarlane could make a new one per sample as an owner produced part, as discussed previously.  

image.thumb.png.b81d16bfcbd0ba5c6014949554aa0420.png