ASPEN stoped talking to my STEC55X

I had this problem with my Aspen and KAP 150. Turned out to be a bad ACU. I believe that the 55X requires an ACU2. When I talked to Aspen tech support, I got the idea that ACU failures were not that uncommon. If that is the problem, Aspen will trade yours for a refurbished one - I don't know the current price. I found a used one on eBay.

Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I had this problem with my Aspen and KAP 150. Turned out to be a bad ACU. I believe that the 55X requires an ACU2. When I talked to Aspen tech support, I got the idea that ACU failures were not that uncommon. If that is the problem, Aspen will trade yours for a refurbished one - I don't know the current price. I found a used one on eBay.

Skip

The ACU was going to be my guess, but I'm far from knowledgeable about the subject.

• Like 1

Well...

When talking AP parts we have @Jake@BevanAviation

Jake has been able to help some MSers with identify what was not working first... before sending the parts in to be refurbed or OH’d...

But for real AP trouble shooting we have...

@Bob Weber

Then autopilots central...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jake@BevanAviation said:

I would have to start at the ACU first and look at the signals going to the S-Tec.  A ACU failure would result in the A/P system just maintaining wings level and maybe alt hold if it will pass its PFT.

Thank you! To all of you. They are working as we speak. It seems the ACU is a good guess. I will report back... very frustrating...

Well, thank you for your inputs. Extremely helpful! After a long troubleshooting process, the problem seems to be the cable that goes to the servo. I painted the plane recently and it must have been damaged somehow. But once you connect the servo directly it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

After a long troubleshooting process, the problem seems to be the cable that goes to the servo.

Good to see you got it sorted in quick time, Oscar.

The reason I asked which navigator and GPSS you use is because I have 2 x IFDs, an Aspen and a 55x combo. If the 55x is initialised before the IFDs, the GPSS in the 55x fails to engage.

Anyone else who has a similar combo with that issue, just initialise your IFD first and all will be good.  The IFD likes to be on top of the pecking order.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Good to see you got it sorted in quick time, Oscar.

The reason I asked which navigator and GPSS you use is because I have 2 x IFDs, an Aspen and a 55x combo. If the 55x is initialised before the IFDs, the GPSS in the 55x fails to engage.

Anyone else who has a similar combo with that issue, just initialise your IFD first and all will be good.  The IFD likes to be on top of the pecking order.

Yes, I have not flown yet... but I hope it works... otherwise I will be back...