In with the new

geoffb

Since @VinceCB took 2711W away we’ve been searching high and low for a new airplane.  Flirted with Rockets, considered C180s, got disappointed by the state of most PA-30s and came very close to joining the cult (Bonanza ownership), right under my nose appeared my new ride.

’83 model 231 with a 262 conversion and TKS.

Low times, by high time sitting.  Waking it from its slumber and so far so good.  Small fuel seeps, could use a few new hoses.  Fingers crossed about the health of the bottom end.

Seems to fly straight.  Not sure about performance yet. Expect lots of questions about engine management.  Still stuck below 10,000 until I get ADS-B installed.616387F0-C516-46C5-B134-5601B9663C89.thumb.jpeg.dfb2bac55259fed50b6ac27671bef0b7.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

Eric, appreciate the time spent educating me on the Rockets.  Just couldn’t find the right one.  For such a small portion of the fleet, a lot of them seem to have lived colorful lives.  I’ve known of this airplane for years, never thought I’d get the chance to be it’s caretaker.  No expense was spared during its conversion.  337s read like a flying Mod Squad catalog.  Not Rocket performance, but a definite step up in capability compared to the E.

Now to understand how to run a TSIO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, geoffb said:

Thanks.

Eric, appreciate the time spent educating me on the Rockets.  Just couldn’t find the right one.  For such a small portion of the fleet, a lot of them seem to have lived colorful lives.  I’ve known of this airplane for years, never thought I’d get the chance to be it’s caretaker.  No expense was spared during its conversion.  337s read like a flying Mod Squad catalog.  Not Rocket performance, but a definite step up in capability compared to the E.

Now to understand how to run a TSIO.

I flew once in a 262 with tks with the fellow from Quebec who owned it.  Fantastic machine and I am sure you have a great machine there.

On 12/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, geoffb said:

Since @VinceCB took 2711W away we’ve been searching high and low for a new airplane.  Flirted with Rockets, considered C180s, got disappointed by the state of most PA-30s and came very close to joining the cult (Bonanza ownership), right under my nose appeared my new ride.

Low times, by high time sitting.  Waking it from its slumber and so far so good.  Small fuel seeps, could use a few new hoses.  Fingers crossed about the health of the bottom end.

Seems to fly straight.  Not sure about performance yet. Expect lots of questions about engine management.  Still stuck below 10,000 until I get ADS-B installed.616387F0-C516-46C5-B134-5601B9663C89.thumb.jpeg.dfb2bac55259fed50b6ac27671bef0b7.jpeg

This was my first Mooney back when the N-number was N5665T. I saw it on the ramp in McAllen TX at McCreery Aviation in 1992 and aircraft weren't selling fast back then. Finally in May 1993 David made me a deal I couldn't refuse trading in my C-172RG and I got an hour check-out and flew it back to San Antonio. I flew it for three years and traded it on a new Bravo in 1996. I got my IFR ticket in this airplane with a lot of fond memories. Congratulations!!

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 5:52 PM, geoffb said:

Since @VinceCB took 2711W away we’ve been searching high and low for a new airplane.  Flirted with Rockets, considered C180s, got disappointed by the state of most PA-30s and came very close to joining the cult (Bonanza ownership).

I follow the market fairly well. There is one Twin Comanche listed for sale that I would consider, no Rockets and a number of Bonanzas that would be good choices. There are a number of M20Ks that look like they are worth considering too. I don't follow the tailwheel market so have no comments on the C180.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:52 PM, geoffb said:

Congrats, and welcome to the TKS 262 club. Mine is a twin to yours but with blue.

Do you have the one piece belly? It looks like a beacon antenna down below.

The 262 is a great plane. All the good bits from the 252 and previous generations.

On 12/27/2020 at 6:51 PM, aviatoreb said:

I flew once in a 262 with tks with the fellow from Quebec who owned it.  Fantastic machine and I am sure you have a great machine there.

I wonder if that was my plane before it was sold to me...it lived in Lachute QC for awhile. Owned by a chopper pilot.

36 minutes ago, milotron said:

I wonder if that was my plane before it was sold to me...it lived in Lachute QC for awhile. Owned by a chopper pilot.

That's the one!  You have a nice plane. Congratulations on a lovely airplane.  Are you enjoying it?  Yes he is a professional chopper pilot.

Thanks, I do like it. It is no Rocket but goes pretty well. It also has almost the whole catalog of Mod Works options it seems!

Mathieu was a great steward of her and he took good care of her.

It has been great so far. I consider an upgrade ( like we all do...) but have to really stretch to find something that can do all it can with any kind of improved utility or performance. I end up in Aerostar or Meridian territory and well outside my paygrade.

• Like 1

Gasp, I just looked it up, I've owned my 262 for 20 years.  Upgraded from an E.  It's been a great plane in so many ways and I hope I can fly it 20 more.  Congratulations, you're going to enjoy all the capabilities of the 262 mods and ease of operation of the MB engine (no offense to the 231 guys intended).

• Like 1