Today on the ramp @T82 Fredericksburg

Mcstealth

There is something I like about the third one... :)

My O once shared the same tailor...

The fourth looks like something from Brand B... primary trainer for the AF...

The light sport one, from Hungary...

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/july/25/magnus-aircraft-debuts-fusion-212

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

The first is a light sport I've not heard of. Second is the first time I have seen the twin Diamond, Third is the third time I have seen this Mooney but not met her steward yet. And what is the fourth?

A t34

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

There is something I like about the third one... :)

My O once shared the same tailor...

The fourth looks like something from Brand B... primary trainer for the AF...

The light sport one, from Hungary...

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/july/25/magnus-aircraft-debuts-fusion-212

Best regards,

-a-

Oh no you don’t!  The Navy flew T-34s.  The AF wanted to make jet pilots, so the primary trainer for ~50years was the Cessna T-37 Tweet!  Now replaced by the Beech T-6.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m having a tough night...

I have missed some easy pitches... big time!

Thanks for the detailed updates... changes are coming....   

Thanks Rags!

Best regards,

-a-

Back to the chalk board... I will not confuse USAF hardware with USN hardware... I will not.... :)

51B768F8-CEDC-4BF1-8CE9-1C9F1E01F591.jpeg

D01C41BA-B990-4E10-A5DD-D8301CDBE0A8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, carusoam said:

Something looks familiar in the plan form....

Shared by Mooney, and the P51 Mustang...

Really straight leading edge... no sweep.

-a-

20C44BA0-1D74-4827-88BF-448FF7813E1E.jpeg

Yes and the G onset rate was said to be the fastest in the USAF. It would really turn when you pulled... for about 90 degrees, then the tremendous increase in drag would overcome the tiny little “dog whistle” engines and the airplane would turn into a PA-160.  No G suits, so you had to be ready on the G strain or you’d be asleep in those 90 degrees.  Parachute was actually on your back too.  Wore it out to the jet. It did have an ejection system but it was pure 1950s.  It worked but at low altitude you were likely toast.  It had a special lanyard to connect when you were at pattern altitude and below that would skip the safety of a 2” delay for separation of the two seats and immediately pull the chute upon exiting the airplane.  
The engines were so loud that you had to wear both in ear and over the ear hearing protection on the flight line.  Apparently they converted JP-4 into noise, but not thrust.

Spinning the Tweet was great too.  She was an honest airplane, and if you stalled with yaw, hold on tight!  There was no “neutralize the controls” recovery that the new trainer uses, the Tweet required adherence to 4 very specific steps or she would just keep on spinning while you watched the altimeter unwind and wondered how well the 1950s ejection seat would work.  Power, idle.  Ailerons neutral.  Rudder full opposite direction of the spin.  Stick abruptly full forward.  And by “abruptly”, they meant slam it into the instrument panel as hard as you can. After the spin definitely stopped (and certainly not before), you might want to let off some of the forward stick or you’ll soon be IMC in the cockpit at -2 Gs and see 50 years worth of dirt and lost ear plugs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1. Throttles-idle

2. Rudder and ailerons-neutral.

3. Stick- abruptly full aft and hold.

3. Rudder-abruptly apply full rudder opposite spin direction (opposite turn needle) and hold.

4. Stick: abruptly full forward one turn after applying rudder

5. Controls -neutral after spinning stops and recover from dive.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PJClark said:

1. Throttles-idle

3. Rudder-abruptly apply full rudder opposite spin direction (opposite turn needle) and hold.

Did you still remember it or have to look it up?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, PJClark said:

1. Throttles-idle

Why number 3 (stick aft and hold)? Definitely not something I learned during the spin training in C172. ;)

@Igor_U

1 hour ago, Igor_U said:

Why number 3 (stick aft and hold)? Definitely not something I learned during the spin training in C172. ;)

So that the elevator makes a full stop-to-stop motion, briskly, to start the tail moving upward when the stick goes "abruptly full forward..."

It has an immediate and dramatic effect.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Tweet FAIP?

First Assignment Instructor Pilot.  About 50% of USAF pilot training instructors just finished training themselves!  They go through flight training, then a 6 month instructor course that all incoming new instructors do for their platform (T-6, T-38 or T-1), then they start teaching! They are usually highly motivated and single, so they fly at least twice, sometimes 3 training sorties/day.  They also become controllers for the T-6 and T-38 traffic patterns.  They are the workhorse of pilot training.  I was a relatively senior officer in a pilot training squadron and wouldn’t have lasted a week on their schedule.  When it comes to checkrides for rated pilots, elimination checkrides for students, etc, the more senior folks do those.  After 2-3 years, FAIPs are finally given a “real” USAF airplane assignment based on their desires and a ranking based on their work as a FAIP.  So yes, they are highly motivated.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2020 at 1:52 AM, Mcstealth said:

And what is the fourth?

Maybe that’s just a B**ch with PT6 engine :D ?

I flew both T34 & T37 thanks to our American friends in Moroccan AFs (similar to USAF, I think they fly B**ch T6 Texan2 now which is far less luxurious IMHO), sadly I did not have what it takes to go beyond and end up with boring civvy life flying a Mooney :lol:

Edited by Ibra
  • Haha 1