Ovation yoke auto pilot and trim cap

bg8810

Merry Christmas all! On my flight home yesterday the little plastic cap that holds the auto pilot disconnect and the trim switch broke right off in my hand, anyone know where one of these can be bought from? I think the part number is 088-01091-0004-cap bendix/king. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

17 hours ago, bg8810 said:

Merry Christmas all! On my flight home yesterday the little plastic cap that holds the auto pilot disconnect and the trim switch broke right off in my hand, anyone know where one of these can be bought from? I think the part number is 088-01091-0004-cap bendix/king. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Just FYI... I was taught to avoid using the AP disconnect switch as much as possible because they have a tendency to break off in your hand.  The use a quick hit of the trim tab does the same thing and those are not as fragile.

7 hours ago, wcb said:

Just FYI... I was taught to avoid using the AP disconnect switch as much as possible because they have a tendency to break off in your hand.  The use a quick hit of the trim tab does the same thing and those are not as fragile.

Also the disconnect switch has a tendency to self destruct.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 9:01 AM, wcb said:

I think the OP misspoke when he referred to the "trim switch" and what he meant was the mount broke.   Honeywell should be ashamed for the price of this poorly designed piece of plastic - that is also hard to get OEM.

I too have read the advice to not use the red disconnect button but not because it will break off in your hand.   If it broke off in your hand it would seem likely there would be an AD or a bulletin.   The reasoning is (on Bendix/King systems) the power for the clutch in the trim servo supposedly passes through the switch and the contacts eventually burn causing the switch to fail.  The same power path goes through the left trim switch so instead you are 'burning' that, which buy the way operates the clutch every time the electric trim is used.  These switches are even more costly to replace than the disconnect switch.   So the advice is to use the AP engage/disengage button which causes the disconnect using logic rather than a higher current loaded switch. 

There is a thread going around here on how relatively easy it is to buy the microswitches to repair the trim switch.  I will probably be in that boat before long.

regarding the casing breaking, mine broke on the trim side, super glued it back together......was thinking I could make one out of aluminum to last forever.  Supposedly that part is $800.  Criminal pricing.