Still shopping for an Ovation

MATTS875

30 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Shopping for an O can be really fun.... :)

This time of year, tax rules make the inventory a bit lower....

Jimmy had mentioned that he was aware of two coming to market... I don’t recall seeing them...

Go O!

best regards,

-a-

I agree. I’m on Jimmys list as he just sold my 201. Thought about broadening my search to the Bravo but I just don’t need the turbo 

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 12:14 PM, MATTS875 said:

I agree. I’m on Jimmys list as he just sold my 201. Thought about broadening my search to the Bravo but I just don’t need the turbo 

There's a couple of us, me included, who seem really anxious to get into the ovation sooner than later.  Sucks there aren't more to choose from.  

2 hours ago, NJMac said:

There's a couple of us, me included, who seem really anxious to get into the ovation sooner than later.  Sucks there aren't more to choose from.  

I agree. Hopefully a nice one will hit the market shortly. I keep watching but nothing on the radar yet. 

On 12/25/2020 at 12:14 PM, MATTS875 said:

Don't rule out the Bravo...when I was searching an O was probably more my flight profile, but I found a Bravo for sale at a good price.  The turbo is nice to have and can feel it kick in on climb outs.  Haven't had any issues with the turbo (knock on wood)..but I consider it an O on steroids with an extra umph. 

What is your budget? 

Yes. I agree. I would like to stay at 200k or less. I have seen some great deals on the Bravo but a little concerned about the cost to maintain and overhaul vs the ovation. I think I would enjoy the turbo when needed but most of my flying is 6-8k

My cost to maintain I would say have been the same as the Ovation.  Nothing I have had to replace/fix is specific to the Bravo.  Most of my flying previous to the Bravo was 6-8k as well, but now I'll fly 8-12.5k.  For longer trips I'll go 13-17k on O2, but haven't taken mine above 16/17k yet.  My biggest unknown is the cost to OH.  I just went over 1000 hrs on my engine, so still have (hopefully) 1000 more to go.  I'll probably sell mine before that point as I really want one with FIKI/TKS. :D

18 minutes ago, MATTS875 said:

Yes. I agree. I would like to stay at 200k or less. I have seen some great deals on the Bravo but a little concerned about the cost to maintain and overhaul vs the ovation. I think I would enjoy the turbo when needed but most of my flying is 6-8k

The Ovation "sweet spot" is ~8 - 10k, but does extremely well between 10k and 16k as well.  I've occasionally had mine up between 18k and 20k with no issues.  Anything above 16k gets a little bit lethargic in the climb under higher weights, but the 310hp upgrade helps that out.  Just wear O2 up there, and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

The Ovation "sweet spot" is ~8 - 10k, but does extremely well between 10k and 16k as well.  I've occasionally had mine up between 18k and 20k with no issues.  Anything above 16k gets a little bit lethargic in the climb under higher weights, but the 310hp upgrade helps that out.  Just wear O2 up there, and you'll be fine.

That’s where 90% of my flying is. 6-8k. But these are on shorter trips. I’m sure if I were flying 5 hours and winds were favorable up higher I would want to be there. Just not much to choose from on the ovation market right now. Hopefully one will surface soon. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, daytonabch04 said:

My cost to maintain I would say have been the same as the Ovation.  Nothing I have had to replace/fix is specific to the Bravo.  Most of my flying previous to the Bravo was 6-8k as well, but now I'll fly 8-12.5k.  For longer trips I'll go 13-17k on O2, but haven't taken mine above 16/17k yet.  My biggest unknown is the cost to OH.  I just went over 1000 hrs on my engine, so still have (hopefully) 1000 more to go.  I'll probably sell mine before that point as I really want one with FIKI/TKS. :D

I understand. How often do the turbos need overhauling? And cost if you happen to know. I think I read it generally cost 2500-3000 but I may be mistaken. 

5 hours ago, Hank said:

@MATTS875, here's a fresh Ovation for sale.

Thanks. I had seen it on controller. Would like to find something if possible with a little lower hours on the engine. Seems to be a nice plane. I think it’s also under contract. Hope it all goes well for both involved. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Think about the Screamn' Eagle, it eventually became the Ovation III.  There were about 15 Eagle conversions, I own the very first one.  So it basically changed the IO-500G into a IO550N, mostly by changing the fuel delivery and N cylinders.  The rest of the parts list was identical between G and N models.

I worked with Bobby Minnis from Continental and Kevin Surrell from Midwest M20 (he's dead now) back in 2006 to put together the STC for the "Screamn' Eagle" conversion.

(Screaming Eagle could not be used because it was already trademarked!) 

My Mooney is up for sale if you're still in the market, but there are a few other Screamn' Eagles out there.  Every now and then, one pops up on the Market.  Some have TKS, few have oxygen, the Eagle was a cheaper (entry) version of the Ovation and didn't have things like rudder trim and built in O2.  Otherwise, its really identical to an Ovation.

I usually file for 190 knots, and if I push it, it will do 196 level at 7000.  Faster than a Bravo below 8000, and a lot less maintenance than turbocharged engines.  I hate flying above 10,000 anyway.  It gives me a headache.

Good luck with your search.

Dan

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 8:29 PM, Dan Babenco said:

a lot less maintenance than turbocharged engines.

If turbo-charged engines are run at cool temperatures (CHT at or below 380) that statement is not true. People who have not owned turbo-charged airplanes or have not been taught how to fly them properly love to make that statement.

Even if you had to rebuild the turbo ($2500)  at 1/2 TBO, it would add $1.25 per hour to your engine cost over 2000 hours. But since turbos cover more miles per hour, in that example, it would still cost less per hour than a normally aspirated engine.

I've owned 3 Bravos, 1 Ovation (310hp), one 231 and 1 Encore over the past 30+ years.

However if you run an Ovation 310hp or Eagle 310hp at full power (190-196 kts ) you'll be changing your Continental cylinders once or twice before TBO, which is way more costly than changing out the turbo.  (By the way on the 5 turbo-charged Mooneys that I've owned I've never had to have the turbo rebuilt)

• Like 3

On 2/13/2021 at 11:34 AM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Dan.

Great details shared about the origin of the Screamin’ Eagle, Midwest, and Bob Minnis...

If selling your SE, what comes next?

Best regards,

-a-

I hope offers come next.  I initially put it on the web at a ridiculously high price, but it should sell around 220K.

12 hours ago, dlthig said:

There is a cheap Ovation on Barnstormers. I'm not sure what is going on with the airplane, but it may be worth checking out.

https://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=1637805

That plane has been for sale since I started looking for an Ovation in June! There has to be a good reason it hasn’t sold.

• Like 1