How do you Hangar, "Tail In", "Nose In", "Taxi Nose In"?

RLCarter

With 2 planes in the hangar I no choice but to "Tail" them in, I have pulled one or the other "Nose In" for maintenance, but have never taxied in or even ran an engine where the prop blast would enter the hangar. The reason I'm bringing this up was talking to a buddy who told me about a guy that has taxied into his hangar for years and it finally caught up with him. Dont know many of the details other than he now has a back door in his hangar, a bent airplane, a bent prop, and a engine tear down in the near future

RLC,

I put this in the... do not do... category...

Compare to any advice on hurricane protection...

The strength of the building depends on a few things... that include all the doors and Windows being closed...

Some of these buildings aren’t any where near new...

Whatever spec they were built to... didn’t include a windstorm inside the hangar...

The reason this is on my do not do list.... if any part of the building fails... it can easily drop a very heavy door on your plane or head...

As far as nose in... I have a T shaped hangar...  not sure it would fit... the fit is within inches normally... including the wing tips...

It sure would be nice to drive in... :)

I think if I were to try this... the other hangar residents would be disappointed...

PP thoughts only, not the hangar police...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I would second the do not do list with carusoam. Don't think the fast turning fan thingy in a confined space is a good idea. Along with wings and walls/door frames. Call me overly cautious. Might fall into the play stupid games win stupid prizes category 

(I say fan thingy because I had an aeronautical engineer tell me "watch out for the fan thingy" one time. I fellout laughing at her. Thats a different story)

• Like 4

I looked at renting a hangar a couple of years ago that had a big turn table installed in the floor in the middle of it. Apparently it was installed so you could taxi straight in, park and then turn the whole aircraft around on it so you could then start up and taxi back out. 

• Confused 1

For a personal box hangar, nose in first makes sense because generally, it is a slight up-slope leading to the hangar to keep water out.  Taxiing "up" to the hangar reduces the effort to hangar the plane.  Conversely, pushing the plane tail first is easy due to the downslope.

In our community it, it is not unusual to see aircraft partially enter hangars before shutting down.  So far, no mishaps.  Obviously, this isn't an option for T, or community hangars.

Nose in for me, but we finish the taxi in front of the hangar.

There are two planes in the hangar I rent - my Mooney and a C172; they are both "nose first" because that's much easier - we have a small hard area in front of the hangar, and that is where we taxi to under power; the rest is grass and much more rolling resistance, especially when the ground is soft. The Cessna flies more often, so the Mooney is the first one in, the downside is I have to push the Cessna out to take the Mooney out, put it back in, fly, rinse, lather, repeat when putting them back in. I really need some tug...

5 hours ago, tmo said:

Nose in for me, but we finish the taxi in front of the hangar.

There are two planes in the hangar I rent - my Mooney and a C172; they are both "nose first" because that's much easier - we have a small hard area in front of the hangar, and that is where we taxi to under power; the rest is grass and much more rolling resistance, especially when the ground is soft. The Cessna flies more often, so the Mooney is the first one in, the downside is I have to push the Cessna out to take the Mooney out, put it back in, fly, rinse, lather, repeat when putting them back in. I really need some tug...

Your preaching to the choir, we tail the Mooney in the corner at 45° and the 172 tails in somewhat straight with the right wing going over the Mooney. On 100°+ days I’m exhausted by the time I’m ready to fly the Mooney....... Tug is in the works but I seem to always have smaller projects that pop up

When I first got my hangar I would taxi into it since it was open on each end with grass ramps.   After I paved the front apron and closed in the back wall I push it in tail first.

I wouldn't run the engine in the hangar too much stuff to go flying around even if it doesn't damage the plane a lot to clean up.  I use a regular leaf blower to sweep out the hangar.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I wouldn't run the engine in the hangar too much stuff to go flying around even if it doesn't damage the plane a lot to clean up.

I made the mistake of starting up the plane in front of the hangar with the doors open, just to check for leaks after an oil change... Lesson learned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm surprised. Until this thread, I never knew anyone who parked nose in to the hangar.

Kinda why I started it...... there is 1 that pulls his in forward due to  a bad back and an incline, and my next door neighbor who taxis in (uneventful so far)