pirep: Aircraft Magneto Service, Missoula MT

jetdriven

there are very few shops like this.

I convinced my PA30 turbo twin comanche client to convert his Slick mag airplane to a hybrid Bendix S21 / Electroair setup. Man its nice.

About 20 hours after the work, the left engine, left mag wont shut off with the switch.   It has a special capacitor that is very easily overtorqued, which breaks it, and renders the P-lead ground inoperable. (much like the Rochester CHT probe for factory Mooney gauges).

I advised the client to take the top cover off the mag and see if the P-lead wire is broken or disconnected from the tab inside.  He took those directions wrong and took out the screws that separate both halves of the mag.  gears showing.  its screwed.

I called Aircraft Magneto Service, who sold us the overhauled mags, and spoke with Cliff, who Ive called before, and knows mags like he knows his own birthday. He said "send it in". I replied my client wants to fly soon, and can I put it back together.. He said I'll pay the freight.....send it in.  Dont F with it, we will do it right.

Anyways, 48hr later, we have a tracking number, and an invoice.  It comes tomorrow early AM. On the invoice they have 100$ for repair of bendix magneto, $125.24 for a new capacitor, and 96$ for overnight freight back to MD.  (plus the 90$ overnight freight there).  so a sum total of $322.19.   And a final line at the bottom.  "warranty".  -$322.19.   they ate the whole cost of this, and im certain its my fault.

So, when you need a magneto fixed, and fixed right, and stood behind. Call Aircraft Magneto Service.

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, M20Doc said:

They are great people to deal with, I’ve had a similar experience with their warranty policy.  I just wish they were on this side of the border.

Clarence 

I have also used them and been very pleased with quality, turnaround. Not the closest shop for sure, but closer than when they were in Washington

Another happy customer of the mag shop in Missoula. The cirrus service center in Kalispell broke an ignition lead on my Sr22 (when I was flying the dark side ;) and they thought it was the mag. Cliff stepped up and offered to help, and it was fast. I eventually traced the issue to bad ignition lead, and not the mag. That was after I finished installing the cowl they forgot to install the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk