Fuel servo replacement

xcrmckenna

My '78 has an RSA-5AD1, p/n 2524054-11. Here's a photo of the part and the location of the ID plate. Not sure if yours is the same (although wouldn't you have an -A1B6D...?)
When I had to have mine overhauled a few years back, Precision said they wouldn't do it (they were focused on manufacturing) and directed me to a few places, I chose D&G Supply. They did my flow divider, too. Total was around $400 with $100 in freight.
IMG_20180326_091159.thumb.jpg.4ce80c82eb24796809bbf4127ea94e99.jpg
IMG_20180326_091208.thumb.jpg.8a601d98bba730486ed36e8c3a915331.jpg

I had my engine upgraded to the A3 a few years ago. All it took was a bushing kit and reclock the prop so I’m betting it would be the same servo used.

Precision told me they don’t rebuild anything older than 12 years. So I’ll go overhauled if I buy from them. I would like to find someone with a servo sitting on a shelf so I don’t have any down time. But I like a $500 price for a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

Got a dumb question. I started sending emails out to the shops for availability ans prices and I thought telling them it was a 1977 Mooney M20 J Lycoming IO-360 A3B6D. But they need a part number for the fuel servo. So I looked at my parts manual and all it says is injector, fuel, Lycoming.

Where would I find the P/N? Do I need to find a Lycoming application list? I went through my logs and they don’t list it by a parts number either. Or just remove the cowl and find it that way? 

From the type certificate.

Clarence 

3CE83F53-8BE6-41E3-987B-7E57F5567927.jpeg

4 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I had my engine upgraded to the A3 a few years ago. All it took was a bushing kit and reclock the prop so I’m betting it would be the same servo used.

Precision told me they don’t rebuild anything older than 12 years. So I’ll go overhauled if I buy from them. I would like to find someone with a servo sitting on a shelf so I don’t have any down time. But I like a $500 price for a repair.

Get quotes first.   Mine was quite a bit more than that to get it overhauled.

I just had my RSA gone through by Aircraft Carburetor and Injection Services in Justin Texas and I could not be happier with the finished product.  I had a few indicators that it was time to overhaul the last being a fuel pressure fluctuation from 29 psi to 18 psi or so as well as an accompanying egt drop of around 100 degrees.  I returned to my home base safely and long story short the a&p and I decided it was time to overhaul the servo so it was removed and I contacted David at ACIS the next day.  David is very knowledgeable on these units and has been in the business for a long time, I believe he took the shop over from his dad.  Anyway after a short chat I sent him the servo and spider and he went through it, he had all the parts on hand and turned it around in a very timely manner.  When I received the unit back it looked like brand new I wish I would have taken pictures while it was off.  It seems to me that it is difficult to find people that take pride in the work they do these days but this small shop does and I highly recommend them.  I have been waiting to post anything because I wanted to get some time on it I now have 25 hours since install and there have not been any hiccups fuel pressure is solid and the egt's are consistent.  The overhaul was $1600, the last overhaul was done in 2005 and it had just over 1600 hours on it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just had my RSA gone through by Aircraft Carburetor and Injection Services in Justin Texas and I could not be happier with the finished product.  I had a few indicators that it was time to overhaul the last being a fuel pressure fluctuation from 29 psi to 18 psi or so as well as an accompanying egt drop of around 100 degrees.  I returned to my home base safely and long story short the a&p and I decided it was time to overhaul the servo so it was removed and I contacted David at ACIS the next day.  David is very knowledgeable on these units and has been in the business for a long time, I believe he took the shop over from his dad.  Anyway after a short chat I sent him the servo and spider and he went through it, he had all the parts on hand and turned it around in a very timely manner.  When I received the unit back it looked like brand new I wish I would have taken pictures while it was off.  It seems to me that it is difficult to find people that take pride in the work they do these days but this small shop does and I highly recommend them.  I have been waiting to post anything because I wanted to get some time on it I now have 25 hours since install and there have not been any hiccups fuel pressure is solid and the egt's are consistent.  The overhaul was $1600, the last overhaul was done in 2005 and it had just over 1600 hours on it.  

Good to hear, any chance you have their contact info?

On 12/24/2020 at 7:47 PM, Yetti said:

Texas Carburetors in Justin Texas did mine.   Wanted the Servo, flow divider and Injectors to flow test.   Cost was about the cost of a new servo, but I got the divider OHed and replaced 2 Injectors and the other 2 OHed.   I liked the idea of the whole system being done as a system

That's where I sent mine. I haven't run it yet, but it looks good. Good communication. He has a thick Texas accent,  kinda fun to talk to.

Aircraft Carburetor & Injection Services of Texas, LLC

9808 Clark Airfield Dr. Justin, TX 76247 United States
940-648-2277
Talk to David he is a hoot, they open at 7 mountain time. 

I’ll look forward to it.