12/19/20 Mooney pilot down Burleson, TX

I hate to do this, but as a Mooney community we should all know.  The pilot was Earl Kirkpatrick who was on his first flight in a Sonex he built over the last 7 years.  It seems he developed engine trouble and did not make the runway on his return.  I read the Kathryn’s Report and saw the M20J that he owned N17NS, which was a beautiful plane.  I’m not linking that as I found the crash scene photos inappropriate.  

“One person is dead, and another is injured following a small plane crash in Johnson County, officials say.

Around 2:30 p.m., emergency crews responded after a single-engine Sonex experimental aircraft crashed in the back parking lot of a building at 605 E. Renfro Street in Burleson, police said. 

Officials told WFAA that the pilot was the only occupant and he was pronounced dead at the scene, and another person was injured while trying to rescue the victim.
Police have not released the victim's name. 

The Federal Aviation Administration says the crash is under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board. 

This is a developing story.”

https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/former-marine-corps-league-chaplain-dies-when-kit-plane-crashes-on-its-first-flight-1.656201

Below is Earl with his Mooney.

EF694BEE-3E7A-476A-8E3C-3E387AB9D2B2.jpeg

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

So sad!
Apparently he hit wires trying to come back.
Cool to read a first responder was trying to move the electrical wires away to protect the pilot, but apparently got injured doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t seen any word on how that first responder is or how serious his injuries were.  Have you?

erik

I knew Earl Kirkpatrick.  He had his hangar 2 doors down from mine.  We would speak quite often and he always made time for everyone.  We were usually early birds out at the airport on Fridays and Saturdays.  We would stop and have a short conversation about flying, etc... and then go about our business.  He took it upon himself to get to know each and every pilot that was on our Southwest side of the airport.  He was a good man and will be missed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1