S-Tec Sold to Moog

GeeBee

In case anyone was wondering what other avionics companies Moog has...

https://www.moog.com/products/avionic-instruments.html

Typically, in the US... a corporation will buy up smaller companies to add to their product and services catalog...

They usually advertise this increase to their skill list...

Unfortunately, adding finance and sales people isn’t in the acquisition plan...

Good luck Stec!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

In case anyone was wondering what other avionics companies Moog has...

https://www.moog.com/products/avionic-instruments.html

Typically, in the US... a corporation will buy up smaller companies to add to their product and services catalog...

They usually advertise this increase to their skill list...

Unfortunately, adding finance and sales people isn’t in the acquisition plan...

Good luck Stec!

Best regards,

-a-

But unless there is some secret rnd happening stec is selling buggy whips in an Internet age. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

But unless there is some secret rnd happening stec is selling buggy whips in an Internet age. 

But, unless money is no object, the fact the same horses are being whipped even in the internet age, I find my STEC to be quite effective for my flying.

• Like 1

Just now, RobertGary1 said:

No doubt. But given the options on the market I don’t see any shops recommending them for new installs. 

Could be true; I have no idea of the total installed cost comparisons between STEC and the others.

My angst stems from what seems to be the current prevailing view that a sub $100K aircraft needs the latest GTNs and a fully coupled $30K A/P to be considered worthy.  No, my buggy whip STEC won't couple to the glide-slope, or fly random location holds, but those features aren't worth the coin to me.  I'm just constantly surprised at the number of people that seem to think they're mandatory, and feel the need denigrate perfectly functional 'old' tech.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I like the STEC 30 I have.   If nothing else being established technology they should go for lower cost to try and gain a larger Market share.   evenon theirnew offerings

For those that already have them they are great autopilots. But looking at evaluating the company you’d have to compare sales. And I don’t see anything in their lineup today that compares to what’s out there. Garmin etc are already much better autopilots for a fair amount less new.  

I have an S-Tec 30 and it's a big help.  It's coupled to the Avidyne IFD440, so it actually will fly random location holds and anything else I can plug into the amazing 440.  On the other hand, I have a friend with an IFR-capable Symphony SA-160 (basically a certified version of the Glastar) and he'd like to add an S-Tec to it, since S-Tec is one of the few autopilots STC'd for his somewhat rare aircraft.  I don't know the details, but the deeper he delves into installing a used S-Tec the more frustrated he becomes.  Seems S-Tec has made installing a used box in a different airplane a very expensive paperwork endeavor, I suppose to drive you toward buying new.  Which to me puts them in the same walled-garden mentality as Apple and Garmin.

• Like 1