G3X Touch and GI 275 Fuel Quantity Error Problem

TrekLawler

Good morning everyone,
I wanted to make you aware of a pretty serious issue that has been discovered for those G3X touch Certified (Experimental systems are not affected) and GI 275 customers who are using the GEA 24 engine adapter and interfaced with resistor style fuel sending units. here is a link to the specific service alert that was issued regarding this problem in the event you're not setup to receive these.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviational ... ion-error/

For those customers affected by this possible problem please follow the guidance on the alert and provide data exactly as instructed on the alert. we have rules setup in our email system to route these to our specific team members handling these issues. Garmin is working with the FAA on this and they will be routing any questions sent to them on this directly to the same associates here at Garmin. I will do my best to answer any questions on the issue as they arise.

Edited by TrekLawler
more detail added
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2020 at 8:13 AM, TrekLawler said:

Good morning everyone,
I wanted to make you aware of a pretty serious issue that has been discovered for those G3X touch Certified (Experimental systems are not affected) and GI 275 customers who are using the GEA 24 engine adapter and interfaced with resistor style fuel sending units. here is a link to the specific service alert that was issued regarding this problem in the event you're not setup to receive these.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviational ... ion-error/

For those customers affected by this possible problem please follow the guidance on the alert and provide data exactly as instructed on the alert. we have rules setup in our email system to route these to our specific team members handling these issues. Garmin is working with the FAA on this and they will be routing any questions sent to them on this directly to the same associates here at Garmin. I will do my best to answer any questions on the issue as they arise.

Thanks Trek, may be a separate issue but my right CiES sender stopped working a few days ago on my G3X (still showing level but shows full when not full or gives erroneous readings).  Any word on this?

26 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Thanks Trek, may be a separate issue but my right CiES sender stopped working a few days ago on my G3X (still showing level but shows full when not full or gives erroneous readings).  Any word on this?

David,

do you know if your Ceis are set up for frequency or resistance?

I don’t know if the Garmin EIS has an option for frequency or not...

inviting @KLudwick to the conversation... just for being a G guy and an M guy at the same time...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

My Avionics shop forwarded me this service bulletin a few days ago and I wanted to pass along my experience. After the installation of the G3 touch - we spent months trouble shooting the stock fuel sensor. It was total trash and I could not rely on fuel amount except when full. After a lot of back and forth with Garmin and wasted fuel and labor, we were informed that the stock sensors were not compatible with the G3 Touch. We installed CiES senders which cost me a few unexpected AMU's. Everything is perfect now and I am satisfied with the outcome, except the burn of spending money we had not expected. I'll cross post this on my other post about our installation. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Guest here who is about to install a G3X Touch on Piper.  Four CIES senders + install is gonna be about 4 AMUs for me.  Trek, does Garmin have a software fix in the works for this problem, or will it require a hardware update? Or possibly digital senders  will be the the only fix?

• 1 year later...

I recently had this SB done on my M20J with a G3x Touch. The fuel gauges had been reasonably accurate before doing the SB. Now the gauges show full tanks until the tanks are only 1/4 full. Garmin dealer in Australia has been unable to resolve this with my avionics installer. GEA 24 has been replaced. Anyone else with this problem or any suggestions?

22 hours ago, tpsol said:

I recently had this SB done on my M20J with a G3x Touch. The fuel gauges had been reasonably accurate before doing the SB. Now the gauges show full tanks until the tanks are only 1/4 full. Garmin dealer in Australia has been unable to resolve this with my avionics installer. GEA 24 has been replaced. Anyone else with this problem or any suggestions?

Welcome aboard tpsol…

you are in the right place…

What you are describing is typical of a stuck fuel float…

Or a fuel float ready for OH…

There are places that OH, or sell other used ones….

Most people are going Ceis digital fuel floats lately…

You can see the contacts from both Garmin and Ceis above…

Ask more questions…

When you get a chance… add some details to your avatar area… plane, home drome, a pic…  it helps with other people’s memories… :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, carusoam said:

What you are describing is typical of a stuck fuel float…

Thanks - this appears to have been the exact problem. In fact, both inboard fuel floats must have stuck in the empty position when the tanks were drained for the fuel calibration. When flying, the floats have then released, making the fuel gauges register full until over half the fuel was used and the inboard floats started to drop.

I wonder if this was a result of draining the tanks while the aircraft was sitting on its undercarriage nose up rather than in the level position. My IA said that the inboard floats looked as though they may have swung past vertical in this attitude and then not floated up as fuel was added.

On 4/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, carusoam said:

When you get a chance… add some details to your avatar area… plane, home drome, a pic…  it helps with other people’s memories… :)

Thanks for the suggestion - done!

Cheers, Rob

• Thanks 1

Fuel floats like any mechanical device…

Enjoy exercise, cleanliness, and some form of lubrication….

They have a tendency to wear….

So…. You might be able to get it stuck in some unusual attitude…

The upside…. Plenty of options….

including going with digital Cies fuel level sensors…

Start with giving it some exercise…. :)

Best regards,

-a-