D Sub Pins

robert7467

Anyone have any tips on inserting pins when radio stack still in plane? Last pin was extremely difficult when I added my G5. For sockets, I push a piece of safety wire through the front, then place socket over safety wire and I push it through. Male pins on the other hand are a pain. Someone needs to invent a tool with a boroscope and pin holder.

I am upgrading from 420 to 430W and need to pin about 4 wires to the Sandel.

Any advice appreciated!

8 minutes ago, robert7467 said:

Anyone have any tips on inserting pins when radio stack still in plane? Last pin was extremely difficult when I added my G5. For sockets, I push a piece of safety wire through the front, then place socket over safety wire and I push it through. Male pins on the other hand are a pain. Someone needs to invent a tool with a boroscope and pin holder.

I am upgrading from 420 to 430W and need to pin about 4 wires to the Sandel.

Any advice appreciated!

Unscrew the connectors from the backplane, or unscrew the backplanes, then remove the radio racks. This is often easier than it sounds. Unless there has been a bunch of stuff attached to the racks that was not connectorized.

8 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Unscrew the connectors from the backplane, or unscrew the backplanes, then remove the radio racks. This is often easier than it sounds. Unless there has been a bunch of stuff attached to the racks that was not connectorized.

I did that last time.. still very tight back there. This is my first panel install. Everything is good so far, but I could have lengthened the harness a little more. Lesson learned!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yetti said:

On what are you inserting pins?  The Garmin 430 backplane is removed with two screws.   Forceps come in handing and long phillips screw drivers.

Upgrading from the 420 to the 430w. It looks like I will need to pin around 4 wires to the Sandel and swap antennas. It's real tight. I can do it, but it's a real pain. Kind-of like removing a prop governor on my plane. I guess it is what it is. Someone needs to make a insertion tool that hooks to the end of an endoscope.

I have had to do this and I just removed the connector from the backplate from the front, lay down on my back on the passenger side footwell, take the connector apart and move, insert, remove pins. Yes, you are right it sucks. There is much foul language involved. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robert7467 said:

Upgrading from the 420 to the 430w. It looks like I will need to pin around 4 wires to the Sandel and swap antennas. It's real tight. I can do it, but it's a real pain. Kind-of like removing a prop governor on my plane. I guess it is what it is. Someone needs to make a insertion tool that hooks to the end of an endoscope.

Luckily have have an F with a slow windscreen so I still have the radio access paths.  The BNC connectors can be a PIA.   I had to take an antenna off just because even through I had the connector loose.  Took the antenna off and it slid right off.

I am probably stating the obvious here but Be advised that not pin extractor are created Equal there are a lot of knockoffs that work worth A darn.  same wire stripers and crimpers. There is a lot bait switch On the internet It's really hard to tell. For non high density Pins I use I believe it's maded by amp red and white Metal extractor.  it works great but I have tried red&white  metal extractor knock offs that doesn't work worth a darn. I use the 90 degree 22 ga tweezer  type and yes they expensive for the hi density pins but they work reasonably well.

Hope This helps,

James '67C

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...