1966 M20E Instrument panel post lighting

47 minutes ago, DJE22 said:

@NukemzzzInteresting!  How did you repair/replace the boots...where did you get the supplies?

I came across a guy in the for sale section on here selling a bag of them that he found behind his toolbox or something.  I guess years ago he used to work at an MSC. I got lucky and what was in the bag was what I needed.  Note...some of them had a date code of 1969!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arnold D said:

Hey Nukemzzz

is the Nulite LED lit 360 degrees around the instrument ring?

or is it a light on one side of the ring with reflective material helping distribute light around the entire instrument?

Also, are those too-bright post lights red?

They are lighted all the way around but a little brighter on one side. The post lights are white. 

Note that the HSI is brighter.  It turns out it has internal lighting and I didn't notice until i was done.  So it has both internal and Nulite lighting  lol

I need to figure out how to dim the EDM-730 as well.  It's too bright at night.

573EA39B-860D-4AC9-8C90-A7BB5AD97CD6.jpeg

9C9B5A2C-514B-4B2F-A4E9-9791DF962CDD.jpeg

12 hours ago, Arnold D said:

Hey Nukemzzz

is the Nulite LED lit 360 degrees around the instrument ring?

or is it a light on one side of the ring with reflective material helping distribute light around the entire instrument?

Also, are those too-bright post lights red?

11 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

They are lighted all the way around but a little brighter on one side. The post lights are white. 

Note that the HSI is brighter.  It turns out it has internal lighting and I didn't notice until i was done.  So it has both internal and Nulite lighting  lol

I need to figure out how to dim the EDM-730 as well.  It's too bright at night.

The light is actually on just one side of the ring at the top. The material is a clear plastic with a white coating to reflect the light around and black on top of that to keep it from bleeding out. It does an excellent job of reflecting it around as the pictures that @Nukemzzz posted shows. A huge plus to this setup when dealing with older panels is it actually allows you to make some modifications to the Nulite if your instruments are too close together. In my panel the proximity of the altimeter and VSI to each other as well as the EDM900 is too close to mount the Nulites on both the VSI and altimeter. However, because the light is only at the top I was able to use a grinder and shave down the bottom of the Nulite for the Altimeter and the side by the EDM900. I then used a gloss white where it had been shaved down and then a black on top of the white. It fits and reflects the light around just as well as the ones on the VSI and ASI that are not modified.

I need to take a picture of the panel at night but this is the layout.

Panel.thumb.jpg.b7dcd7805a8c2f425338f90511c655f9.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 8:07 AM, steingar said:

A participant on this site described updating his torpedo lights with LEDs, said it made his cockpit quite light and his instruments quite visible.  Me, I consider electricity something that goes fizz and starts fires.  I bought a headlamp.

I purchase this LED upgrade kit from ShortWingPiperClub.org: https://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/swpc-store/aircraft-parts/cabin-mounted-shoulder-lights/

Someone 3D printed new sleeves and provided a suitable LED replacement bulb.  So easy to install and what a difference in light output and no burnt fingers anymore.  The best fifty bucks I ever spent on my plane.  Work flawlessly and draw a lot less current.

To answer your question, the Whelen PNr WHL A 350 CN part is the modern alternative to the original Grimes support. This reference uses the same GE 330 bulb, you just need to adapt the length of the bracket and its threaded fixing rod so that the mounting on the trim is possible. When ordering, you must specify the color of the filter you want (amber in our case).

below are photos of the original Grimes bulb holders.

WP_20210324_07_51_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20210405_23_01_15_Pro.jpg

Edited by Raymond J