Some cool Mooney Sales adds..

hammdo

15 minutes ago, Hank said:

But the M10T & J had fixed tails and trim tabs! What about a Mooney says "trim tabs" to you? Not having them says "Mooney" to me.

Yes, fixed horizontal.  NO TRIM TABS (they're counterproductive aerodynamically).   Trimming was done internally :) 

Better than M20 aerodynamics on the tails (empennage).  Full length rudder, top to bottom (above and below horizontal).  Elevators are end=plated by the fuselage (much, much more efficient).  Better spin recovery characteristics too.  IOW, no "V" cutouts on the elevators for the rudder to swing.  Greatly reduced drag.  Bazinga! :) 

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Blue on Top said:

Yes, fixed horizontal.  NO TRIM TABS (they're counterproductive aerodynamically).   Trimming was done internally :) 

Better than M20 aerodynamics on the tails (empennage).  Full length rudder, top to bottom (above and below horizontal).  Elevators are end=plated by the fuselage (much, much more efficient).  Better spin recovery characteristics too.  IOW, no "V" cutouts on the elevators for the rudder to swing.  Greatly reduced drag.  Bazinga! :) 

Good job !!! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blue on Top said:

OR...Twin Mooney Mark 22 (N5299B) - General Mooney Talk - Mooneyspace.com - A  community for Mooney aircraft owners and enthusiastsa real twin Mooney.

Well aware of the later but visualize the airflow and which one would disrupt the steady stream less when passing through?

Which one would have a smaller flat plate area? 

Which one would have better efficiency with the same HP input? 

Blunt and bulbous vs streamlined. Apache vs 310 of the same vintage.   JMO as always  :-)

• Like 1

@hammdo  Cool finds!

The glide ratio one shows the propeller stopped.  I think that would be the only way to get 13:1 glide ratio.  There is an awesome video (yes, literally a video tape series ... some are now on YouTube, though) called the "ABC Wide World of Flying" that shows the delta between idle thrust, windmilling and propeller stopped.  I think it is in a Cessna.  Great show.

The bottom ad has to be one of the first.  There was an article written by Al Mooney about a 4-place airplane design he was working on (that eventually became the M20).  It was in "Flight" magazine, and it talked about his design philosophies.  Awesome read!  The company was still in Wichita at the time. 

Thanks for sharing, Don.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 8:34 PM, hammdo said:

Don, thank you for getting so much Mooney history gathered together in one place. Back in mid-2019 I looked at N43PG and N87PM. Both were at Placerville, CA. They were offered by Skywagons LLC. The pictures of those two Mooneys the article look like they were taken at Placerville.

Last August I saw N43PG at the MSC at VGT; the nose gear had broken off and the propeller was bent.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/search?q=N43PG

Edited by flyer338
Error in N#

On 1/2/2021 at 3:22 PM, Blue on Top said:

@hammdo  Cool finds!

The bottom ad has to be one of the first.  There was an article written by Al Mooney about a 4-place airplane design he was working on (that eventually became the M20).  It was in "Flight" magazine, and it talked about his design philosophies.  Awesome read!  The company was still in Wichita at the time.

Anyone have a link to or pdf of this article?  I'd love to read it.

Thx.

Fred

I tracked down Larry Ball's daughter a little more than a year ago to see about writing/co-writing a follow-on book to Larry's "Those Magnificent Mooneys" book.  She is an author.  We talked a little via email, and the subject was left with: she would contact me if/when she started on the second book.  I don't think that she will.  

The longer this goes, the more history will be lost ... and rumors and rumors of rumors will become fact.

I love the old ads (and this thread)!  Still looking for the "Mooney lady sitting on the tail" ad.