Finally pulled oil screen need some eyeballs looking

• Dream to fly changed the title to Finally pulled oil screen need some eyeballs looking
5 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

So I finally pulled my oil screen. I have pictures and need some input. I think it's all carbon except for one piece. The plug was safety wired but it had been years since it was pulled. 88b507eb117632c65e64861a267c4d3b.jpgdd51b6c6d94c1ec44bf30790c4684b7a.jpg0e6dd1bdd6e7ecd23ea64c00f04b44bb.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Could it be a piece of gasket?

Having seen problem oil screen materials, I don't see anything there that causes concern especially if it has been years.   Chunks o' carbon.  No strings of aluminum.  Only one nondescript piece of ferrous material to speak of that doesn't look like a spall.  That's good news!  Congratulations!

• Like 1

Joe,

Check that last pic...

My O360 was good at producing carbon chunks in the shape of the valve rods...

The chunk looks like it may have formed in a cavity with a rod in it...

If that is the case... check with your mechanic... about reaming the valve guides... (pure guess on my part)

If that much carbon is in the valve guides... the valves aren’t getting good flow of coolant, or lubrication...

As far as the metal flakes... you may get one, two, or a few... but, you don’t have the plethora that comes with engine destruction... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Could it be a piece of gasket?

I am not sure.  I started the 201 windshield upgrade, annual and GFC500 install.  I got the old Brittain system removed panel exposed interior stripped and old windshield out.  I finally decided to inspect the screen and have been dreading it.  I pulled it and this was what I found.  under zoom it looks fiber like but it reminds me of clad without using zoom like on a bearing.  I am probably just fried.

Is it flexible or brittle?

Soft, Flexible would be rubber gasket or sealant...

Hard, Brittle more likely carbon...

Either way... that should be a huge relief, compared to the unknown history of years of stuff that  could or might be in there...

If you want to have it analyzed... the oil analysis companies can do that too...

Best regards,

-a-

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Joe,

Check that last pic...

My O360 was good at producing carbon chunks in the shape of the valve rods...

The chunk looks like it may have formed in a cavity with a rod in it...

If that is the case... check with your mechanic... about reaming the valve guides... (pure guess on my part)

If that much carbon is in the valve guides... the valves aren’t getting good flow of coolant, or lubrication...

As far as the metal flakes... you may get one, two, or a few... but, you don’t have the plethora that comes with engine destruction... :)

Best regards,

-a-

That could be it the striations are indicative of back and forth movement and now looking again they are the wrong direction for bearing rotation wear according to the curve of the piece.  I honestly don't know...  But I will pull the manifolds and valve covers and take a peak.  I have never looked inside this engine I am actually afraid.  From what I can tell from the logs the pencil whipping started in 2009 and went till I bought it in 2016.  The safety wire was rusty and the plug was obviously covered in dirt from years gone by.

Just now, carusoam said:

Is it flexible or brittle?

Soft, Flexible would be rubber gasket or sealant...

Hard, Brittle more likely carbon...

Either way... that should be a huge relief, compared to the unknown history of years of stuff that  could or might be in there...

Best regards,

-a-

It is brittle like cladding but not magnetic

Joe,

MS shows many other examples of bad situations.  I've had my own problems with an engine making metal.   For a screen that hasn't been removed in years, what you found is truly good news.   Fly.

Fred

1 hour ago, Dream to fly said:

It is brittle like cladding but not magnetic

• Like 2

Oil screens and oil filters.  I am not impressed with the sick feeling I get having to look at those items.   I can understand why some would rather not look.  I am glad I dodged the bullet this time.  Thanks for the quick replies.  I am moving on to the windshield.  

• Like 1

If you want to see a really ugly screen pull, take a gander at this one. Friend’s Piper 140. Plane sat for 29 years. Flew it for the past 5 years and had a low compression on a cylinder. Once the cylinder was off they started finding tons of rust.

Pictures are from the shop rebuilding the engine.

2fb4c38f6f9b8e1b0319e41df4d75430.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Sad 2

The lunar surface pics are from the cam followers... they do the grinding of the cam lobes when they look like this...

the other rusty rod might be from the valve lifter? The rod that is connected to the cam follower...

Best regards,

-a-

On 12/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, Marauder said:

If you want to see a really ugly screen pull, take a gander at this one. Friend’s Piper 140. Plane sat for 29 years. Flew it for the past 5 years and had a low compression on a cylinder. Once the cylinder was off they started finding tons of rust.

Pictures are from the shop rebuilding the engine.

2fb4c38f6f9b8e1b0319e41df4d75430.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

yep. typical