Garmin Panel and STEC-50 to GFC-500

Derek

I have manual electric trim in my J, and an STEC 50. Weighing the costs of doing an all Garmin panel upgrade, piecemeal as it makes sense to. I need a GPS, so I am looking at the GTN-750Xi (and dropping of of my KX radios) first (along with the audio panel). Eventually... the G3X PFD. 

Ultimately, I'm guessing I'll eventually need/want to go Garmin with the autopilot to maximize all the integration. Is the upgrade from the STEC 50 to something like the GFC 500 going to mean replacing all the servos (aka lots of labor)?

31 minutes ago, Derek said:

I have manual electric trim in my J, and an STEC 50. Weighing the costs of doing an all Garmin panel upgrade, piecemeal as it makes sense to. I need a GPS, so I am looking at the GTN-750Xi (and dropping of of my KX radios) first (along with the audio panel). Eventually... the G3X PFD. 

Ultimately, I'm guessing I'll eventually need/want to go Garmin with the autopilot to maximize all the integration. Is the upgrade from the STEC 50 to something like the GFC 500 going to mean replacing all the servos (aka lots of labor)?

Yes, garmin has their own servos.  There will be someone along who can give you a reasonable estimate after doing something similar to your plan.  The Garmin autopilot is 15-20k installed.  Ballpark.

Thanks. I'm only planning on doing this when the stec gives up its ghost. Hopefully that wont be for a while.

If you want to extend the life of your stec, just keep an eye out for used parts being sold because of an upgrade. For a fraction of repair costs that they charge you can probably buy a used part to keep you going.
  • Like 1

The idea of using old servos with a new system will sound good on paper...

At best, it would have to stay within the same family...

A similar example...

when adding a new JPI...

you can use the ancient fuel floats...

they will work. And the display will show the fuel level better than the analog display that used to be there...

But, for best results, an upgrade to a more accurate fuel level sensor is a much more accurate solution...

Old servos on a new digital AP... will dumb down the new AP...  Today’s servos have much finer control, and more information transferring faster between the motor and the controller/AP head...

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guy...

Best regards,

-a-