Mooney.com website revamped

shawnd

3 hours ago, 201er said:

Good thing you understand this. Mooney impressing a C owner into an E at Oshkosh and a J owner into an Ovation is part of what makes the Ovation owner get enough out of selling his Ovation that puts him into an Ultra! The appeal and legacy of the old planes is definitely a big part of selling the new ones. If Mooney makes new planes that are the envy of the legacy owners, those new planes will sell one way or another.

Maybe. But new (or recently built, used) airplanes are - and always have been - expensive. And, my impression after hanging out here for a couple of years, is that a LOT of Mooney owners revel in being self-proclaimed CBs. It's great for Garmin, and Aerocomfort, and various paint shops that some of us will, over time, spend $50-60-70K on upgrades to a <$100K airframe (because it's a "forever" airplane), all the while griping about the cost of factory parts (it's never as much fun to spend money replacing something that wore out after 50 years as it is buying a shiny new widget), but I'm not sure how that helps Mooney survive.

Skip

• Like 1

So many teeth on this cog... they all have to line up...

Planes are moving more than in 2007... lots of fluidity in the market...

Compared to 2008... screeching halt... no fluidity... nothing moved until it had too...

It was even difficult to discuss spending money... as some were in such tough shape with home, work, and whatever else could be affected...

Forever planes are interesting... it helps to have big picture thinking skills... especially when young...

Big picture skills are easier to come by the closer you are to the other end... unfortunately the big picture gets smaller and smaller, the deeper you go into the game of life...

It would be difficult to confidently buy a new plane from any factory without knowing the product first...

By the time you have bought two Mooneys... had them for 20 years... getting a new one... is merely a finance question...

Hmmm... I ask my financial administrator this question often... :)

(her BK like response is something like the third quarter... and never a year associated with it...)

Stepping up this fine ladder is interesting... it’s a big enough step... that it has to fit within all the other steps on the ladder...

• school
  • car1
  • work
  • masters degree
  • business1
  • married
  • house
  • car2 (car1 completely run out...)
  • kids ( day care, sports, after care... health issues if any...)
  • plane1
  • college (for the kids if able)
  • plane2 (plane1 was completely run out...)   Is this one the forever-plane?
  • Forever-plane upgrades...
  • Beach house, mountain house, hunting cabin, my favorite... hangar home... :)
  • Kit plane construction....
  • Retirement...
  • car3
  • Lots of things can happen this far into the game...
  • Some get extra innings...

If I had to put a five year plan together... and repeat that plan adjusting it for the next couple of decades... it may have these steps in it...  it is completely fictional, and does not necessarily represent my plan... past, present, or future...

Each step builds on the ones before it... some get repeated...  some times you get lucky... sometimes you don’t...

I borrowed some ideas from Chris/pilotfun... where somebody asked how he could afford his plane (M20C)... he described it well... work hard, save up, and invest...   how you do those was left to the person asking the question...

MS is the first place I met people that actually bought a new plane from the factory... Gary, an AF pilot... still around here... :)

I met a few more at my local Mooney fly-ins... all nice people...

My favorite conversation was with a new buyer of one at KOSH... he didn’t mind discussing how he used his for work....

When it’s a work machine... it has an ROI that is really easy to measure...

Go Mooney!

PP thoughts only, not a financial planner... or visionary...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

So many teeth on this cog... they all have to line up...

Planes are moving more than in 2007... lots of fluidity in the market...

Compared to 2008... screeching halt... no fluidity... nothing moved until it had too...

It was even difficult to discuss spending money... as some were in such tough shape with home, work, and whatever else could be affected...

Forever planes are interesting... it helps to have big picture thinking skills... especially when young...

Big picture skills are easier to come by the closer you are to the other end... unfortunately the big picture gets smaller and smaller, the deeper you go into the game of life...

It would be difficult to confidently buy a new plane from any factory without knowing the product first...

By the time you have bought two Mooneys... had them for 20 years... getting a new one... is merely a finance question...

Hmmm... I ask my financial administrator this question often... :)

(her BK like response is something like the third quarter... and never a year associated with it...)

Stepping up this fine ladder is interesting... it’s a big enough step... that it has to fit within all the other steps on the ladder...

• school
  • car1
  • work
  • masters degree
  • business1
  • married
  • house
  • car2 (car1 completely run out...)
  • kids ( day care, sports, after care... health issues if any...)
  • plane1
  • college (for the kids if able)
  • plane2 (plane1 was completely run out...)   Is this one the forever-plane?
  • Forever-plane upgrades...
  • Beach house, mountain house, hunting cabin, my favorite... hangar home... :)
  • Kit plane construction....
  • Retirement...
  • car3
  • Lots of things can happen this far into the game...
  • Some get extra innings...

If I had to put a five year plan together... and repeat that plan adjusting it for the next couple of decades... it may have these steps in it...  it is completely fictional, and does not necessarily represent my plan... past, present, or future...

Each step builds on the ones before it... some get repeated...  some times you get lucky... sometimes you don’t...

I borrowed some ideas from Chris/pilotfun... where somebody asked how he could afford his plane (M20C)... he described it well... work hard, save up, and invest...   how you do those was left to the person asking the question...

MS is the first place I met people that actually bought a new plane from the factory... Gary, an AF pilot... still around here... :)

I met a few more at my local Mooney fly-ins... all nice people...

My favorite conversation was with a new buyer of one at KOSH... he didn’t mind discussing how he used his for work....

When it’s a work machine... it has an ROI that is really easy to measure...

Go Mooney!

PP thoughts only, not a financial planner... or visionary...

Best regards,

-a-

Shit - I'm out of order.  I just bought car number 3.  And I haven't started the kit plane or retired yet.

• Like 1

So, I had a local businessman in my shop today.  He is looking for a high performance single for his business travel needs.  He’s already leaning toward a Cirrus, where on the new website do I direct him for information on the Mooney offerings?  I’ve looked and can’t find anything, unless I missed it.

Clarence

Not much of substance on the forum there so far, but it's interesting to gauge the relative interest by counting the posts by model. So far, Cs and Js are in the lead. 

The first M20J post was simply, "Hello World." Evidently a Kernighan and Ritchie disciple. 

Skip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

So, I had a local businessman in my shop today.  He is looking for a high performance single for his business travel needs.  He’s already leaning toward a Cirrus, where on the new website do I direct him for information on the Mooney offerings?  I’ve looked and can’t find anything, unless I missed it.

Clarence

Have him fly in both back to back. 
if he is a pilot there will be little selling required. 

• Like 1

Daily test of the Mooney.com website...

I visited the speed shop...

A little challenging to navigate... deep menus.... mostly because my memory isn’t that good...:)

Everything looks like it worked properly...

Got an automatic email receipt...

Cool Mooney shirts will be on their way!

Best regards,

-a-

In response to the question - which forum to use, as I've mentioned, we added a forum to the Mooney website so we could interact more freely with the community. And we intend to have one of our tech people jump into threads on behalf of Mooney on Air Traffic when it seems appropriate. When we do start building planes, we'll be directly in touch with our customer base as well. That being said, I along with some of the Mooney staff will "lurk" here now and then (case in point this message) so you're not losing out either way. We're not trying to compete, we're just becoming more accessible to all of you.

Hope this helps!

Jonny

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

In response to the question - which forum to use, as I've mentioned, we added a forum to the Mooney website so we could interact more freely with the community. And we intend to have one of our tech people jump into threads on behalf of Mooney on Air Traffic when it seems appropriate. When we do start building planes, we'll be directly in touch with our customer base as well. That being said, I along with some of the Mooney staff will "lurk" here now and then (case in point this message) so you're not losing out either way. We're not trying to compete, we're just becoming more accessible to all of you.

Hope this helps!

Jonny

My opinion....... accessibility.....this is most welcome!!!!

My experience.......at times past, Mooney suits promoted their accessibility, yet that proved to be not quite so true (definite exception was Jerry Chen.....always accessible).

I’m believing these folks are completely serious!  Example: Jonny (suit, probably not really wearing one around the factory) is in direct contact with us.  Ya gotta admire that !! He’s indicated a tech (s) will occasionally intermingle with us too.  A++++ for effort I’d say!

Patience is a virtue, so they say.......as we offer suggestions ( which are obviously noticed by Jonny), hopefully we can abide by Jonny’s request for us to have some ( patience).

Go Mooney!!! ...... and, “go, go Jonny go” :D

• Like 4

On 12/21/2020 at 3:07 PM, M20Doc said:

Clarence

@M20Doc Here's a detailed video by AVweb which might help your businessman client.  Comparison to the SR22 begins at 3:50.  

I've flown my M20M Bravo 220 hours this year; 75% for my small business.  It's a "Personal Regional Airliner" due to speed, FIKI TKS, and the turbo to get on top of icing.  When I bought the Bravo 5 years ago, I was originally searching for a Cirrus but I found that I could get a faster Mooney for 1/3rd the price of the Cirrus.  The economics were clear.  If it helps, I'm also avail for a phone call to talk him through my thoughts and share the Excel "total cost of ownership" comparison I did between the two makes.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PDXBravo said:

@M20Doc Here's a detailed video by AVweb which might help your businessman client.  Comparison to the SR22 begins at 3:50.  

I've flown my M20M Bravo 220 hours this year; 75% for my small business.  It's a "Personal Regional Airliner" due to speed, FIKI TKS, and the turbo to get on top of icing.  When I bought the Bravo 5 years ago, I was originally searching for a Cirrus but I found that I could get a faster Mooney for 1/3rd the price of the Cirrus.  The economics were clear.  If it helps, I'm also avail for a phone call to talk him through my thoughts and share the Excel "total cost of ownership" comparison I did between the two makes.   

I got to use mine as a real airliner last week when I did KFXE to KBED nonstop (1200 miles) in 5.5hrs! I’ll take an oxygen mask over a blue paper mask any day of the week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, 1980Mooney said:

Has anyone gone to the the Mooney.com website "Forum" lately?.....probably not.  Latest posts for M20A, E - over 2 months ago.  Latest posts for  M20C, J, K, TN, STC's, or Tech&Maint Tips - over 1 month ago.  Latest posts for M20F, U - 3 - 16 days ago.  No topics nor posts for M20B, D, G, L, Mooney Events, Landing Tips or Flying Tips.

There is no "factory control of the message and provide a real, “official” response to questions" as some had suggested was the purpose.  It appears that all posts and all but one response are by MSer's.  It doesn't seem to be very relevant compared to MS.  I have a hard time seeing how or why it will continue to exist.

My 2 cents...

I tend to agree.  I would think that to show life in the brand - that spot should simply be a hot link to this forum.  It should say, Link here to our Mooniac friends and fans over at our sister website, mooneyspace.  Short and sweet like that and point them here.  As it is, an empty forum like that is worse than no forum since it gives the feel of a deadzone.

• Like 4

The whole thing is sad.   There was one "Mooney of the Month" last December and that was it, one "Mooney Memo", one "Mooney Notam", and while there is a "Technical Publications" tab on the front page, the technical publications are actually under the "Contact & Service" tab.   The primary product at the website is still mugs and shirts.

I get that they may have more things to worry about than the website right now, but the website is pretty sad.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The whole thing is sad.   There was one "Mooney of the Month" last December and that was it, one "Mooney Memo", one "Mooney Notam", and while there is a "Technical Publications" tab on the front page, the technical publications are actually under the "Contact & Service" tab.   The primary product at the website is still mugs and shirts.

I get that they may have more things to worry about than the website right now, but the website is pretty sad.

Well... maybe that one Mooney of the month was so amazingly terrific it broke the bank and it will be the permanent Mooney of the month?  I vote N314EB worthy of permanent Mooney of the month in perpetuity.  Do I hear a second to the motion?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Well... maybe that one Mooney of the month was so amazingly terrific it broke the bank and it will be the permanent Mooney of the month?  I vote N314EB worthy of permanent Mooney of the month in perpetuity.  Do I hear a second to the motion?

I vote N314EB for Mooney of the Second, as nominated above!

:D :lol: :D :lol: B)

2 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

Has anyone gone to the the Mooney.com website "Forum" lately?.....probably not.  Latest posts for M20A, E - over 2 months ago.  Latest posts for  M20C, J, K, TN, STC's, or Tech&Maint Tips - over 1 month ago.  Latest posts for M20F, U - 3 - 16 days ago.  No topics nor posts for M20B, D, G, L, Mooney Events, Landing Tips or Flying Tips.

There is no "factory control of the message and provide a real, “official” response to questions" as some had suggested was the purpose.  It appears that all posts and all but one response are by MSer's.  It doesn't seem to be very relevant compared to MS.  I have a hard time seeing how or why it will continue to exist.

My 2 cents...

They would not create a category for Rocket Engineering or Missile/Rocket as I requested and gave me no response so I needled them.  STILL no response.  Alrighty them.  I’m out.

• Like 1

Has there been any response from the email addresses on moony.com? We've been trying to call and have sent several emails but crickets....

My first annual is coming up and the AME wants to know/have the latest manuals or at least confirm with what I have. I was able to get the latest maintenance manual PDF for the M20K 231 off the web, but not the parts manual. I still have the paper binders that came with the plane, the paper manual for parts was published in 1998 and the maintenance manual was published in 1997. 

Any thoughts on what I have or what to do

9 minutes ago, FlybyNite said:

Has there been any response from the email addresses on moony.com? We've been trying to call and have sent several emails but crickets....

My first annual is coming up and the AME wants to know/have the latest manuals or at least confirm with what I have. I was able to get the latest maintenance manual PDF for the M20K 231 off the web, but not the parts manual. I still have the paper binders that came with the plane, the paper manual for parts was published in 1998 and the maintenance manual was published in 1997. 

The list of most recent versions of Mooney technical documents can be found here:

https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Mooney-Technical-Publications.pdf

See page 10 for M20K. It looks like the most recent M20K parts manual is from 1998 and the maintenance manual is 2014.

Edited by mooniac15u

Just now, FlybyNite said:

Factory shut down during the cold snap due electricity outages, no natural gas or water. I don't know if they've reopened or sustained any damages. I understand that Hill Country was especially hard hit.

Here's a link on the website for current revision status of manuals: https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Mooney-Technical-Publications.pdf

In reality, it is very difficult to determine that you have the latest because Mooney quit making formal revisions to most manuals and now just adds notes to the master pdf files when a change is made. The official position is that they will update the manuals with all these "notes" --- someday. So, since there is no revision control on the notes, you could get a copy yesterday and a note could be added tomorrow. Fortunately, they don't often add notes to the older manuals.

Skip

• Like 1

While I appreciate the attempt at bringing traffic to the website, and promise of Mooney culture.... nothing is worse than advertising an intent and then completely failing to execute (sound familiar).  Case in point, the full time Mooney of the month, the coffee mugs, and zero responses from Mooney on the form designed to interact. I understand it’s strange times and still working out the kinks of staffing etc but I’d have preferred a “website under construction” page for several months rather than a fall on face launch which seems so far, it’s just that. 

• Like 3

Just now, PeteMc said:

I've tried going through the regular "sign up" process a couple of times and have sent a couple of separate emails.  ZERO response.

So much for wanting to get in good with their existing users that could have been a great marketing force...

I signed up with my MS username for continuity purposes, and about 24 hours later they sent me an email saying I couldn't use that username, my account had been deleted, and I could sign up again using a different name.  Haven't signed in again.