What's the function?

This is not my photo.  I used a photo from Raymond J because its better then the photo I took.  

What's the purpose for the part circled in Blue?  Is it a valve?  for what?

The one in my 66E is rotated 90 degrees clockwise.  I tried to turn mine but it didn't budge and the effort was starting to bend metal so I stopped and thought I'd ask the experts!

co-pilot air intake.jpg

From School house Rock... conjunction junction.... what’s your function! :)

Does this help?

Looks like it may be keeping the wires supported...(?)

To help from cutting into, or cut by the hose that goes on the ends of the yellow part...

What is the yellow painted part? (I don’t have the experience to recognize E specific parts)

Best regards,

-a-

EA0165A4-ADFA-421D-B4B5-583788AD1AB4.jpeg

This might be the first time ever that -a- reoriented a picture that didn’t need it? :D

That’s the air intake on the copilot’s right knee, right?

I think I’d like to see your photo, also, to see what the orientation looks like in your aircraft.  

I don’t think my ‘63C has that piece.  Are you sure it’s supposed to move?  It looks a solid attachment to me. 

I think PilotCoyote is right, it’s related to the interior installation... but, maybe, a standoff to keep the interior panel from pushing the wires against the air intake box and chafing?  Meaning, the wire bundle would be run on the fuselage skin side of the bracket?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oops... my bad...

Chump mentioned something being rotated 90°...

So I un rotated the pic to see if it would help...

The plastic coated handle looking device...  looked like it was blocking the forces of gravity in my orientation...  :huh:

I’m going to learn something about IO360s when this gets worked out!

:)

I should have invited JR for his thoughts... @Raymond J 

PP guess only... 

Best regards,

-a-

My parts manual calls that an "arm and shaft assembly" (26) and contains a valve. Looks like it controls another duct (27) that enters/exits that plenum on the top of it.

I replaced the ducting in my 66E and cannot remember that part, or a duct on top. Can look later. Unfortunately I'm having issues marking up a PDF of the parts diagram.

The "top" duct in the manual goes to a radio cooling thing (28) which resembles a small radiator or air discharge vent located forward of the radio stack. My plane has that cooling thing, but I don't recall if its still connected to fresh air because of prior avionics work that included a cooling fan back there.

Perhaps this was optionally opened or closed depending on how the aircraft was originally equipped??

66e-ducting.jpg

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Immelman said:

The "top" duct in the manual goes to a radio cooling thing (28) which resembles a small radiator or air discharge vent located forward of the radio stack. My plane has that cooling thing, but I don't recall if its still connected to fresh air because of prior avionics work that included a cooling fan back there.

Perhaps this was optionally opened or closed depending on how the aircraft was originally equipped??

That would make sense, a manual valve to close off cooling air to the avionics during the winter months...

5 hours ago, flyingchump said:

Ce n'est pas ma photo. J'ai utilisé une photo de Raymond J parce que c'est mieux que la photo que j'ai pris.  

Quel est le but de la partie entourée en bleu? Est-ce une valve? pour quoi?

Celui de mon 66E est tourné de 90 degrés dans le sens des aiguilles d'une montre. J'ai essayé de tourner le mien mais ça n'a pas bougé et l'effort commençait à plier le métal alors je me suis arrêté et j'ai pensé demander aux experts!

prix d'air copilote.jpg

Ce petit levier contrôle l'ouverture ou la fermeture de la prise d'air pour la ventilation / refroidissement de l'avionique.

In the next photo, we see better. The lever has 3 positions to adjust full, half or no fresh air.

WP_20200325_14_52_46_Pro_LI.thumb.jpg.3f71dc6c6b2f6a18b6274d37794763c8.jpg

If your aircraft did not have the ADF receiver, the duct through from there and goes directly to the ventilation block on the firewall.

If you had an ADF receiver, there is an air puncture on the sheath to supply the back of the receiver as well. Below is the photo of the ligation of the sheath that is very important for the passage of the steering wheel shaft (before restoration).

WP_20150318_017.thumb.jpg.d9912bee55b0207bd1305937bf2805b2.jpg

I specify that the Brittain controller had a specific supply of fresh air, from the left side of the aircraft.

Edited by Raymond J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That is the avionics cooling plenum valve....I believe.  In my plane, if you look closely into the Outside air inlet on the right side of the aircraft and look UP, you will see a 1” hole (the tube) and th elf appear that the control operates.  In the summer you might want it open and you can close it in the winter.  It is an additional source of all of that cold air in the winter.  That said, in my plane, the heat control vents at the pilots knees put out a lot of hot air behind the panel.....where you really don’t want it....so I’ve been keeping the valve open to provide more air behind the panel.

• Like 1

Great job identifying what all that is!

Thanks to JR for supplying the pics and additional details!

Outside temps have gone below freezing... this valve makes plenty of sense to be aware of to control cold air that gets dumped behind the panel...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks all.  

I don't know how I would ever turn the valve anyway...  The scat tubing that feeds the fresh air intake is in the way.  I would need to rotate the handle down to close the valve.  Not possible with the scat in the way.  I'm just a VFR guy so I wont be flying in the rain anyway.

Sorry for the close photo.  Photos under the panel are difficult sometimes...

PXL_20201220_161925091.thumb.jpg.cfdbaf82e1f9368a799acd26592a839e.jpg