"Gotta love that Mooney speed"

Jeph357

Interesting..... I was able to push start little speed demon video button on my antique iPhone 6S.  

Comment....... pretty good set up gag video I’d say ...... Cessna at slow flight speed and long body at max power...... good for the Mooney ego though.... LOL :lol:

With that said, there were times flying cross country in the Big O, ATC would announce to other aircraft in our vicinity........ Nxxxx, Mooney at your x,o’clock overtaking you...... that was worth every ounce of ego building material!! 

Gooooooo Mooney!:D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Comment....... pretty good set up gag video I’d say ...... Cessna at slow flight speed and long body at max power...... good for the Mooney ego though.... LOL :lol:

........ Nxxxx, Mooney at your x,o’clock overtaking you...... that was worth every ounce of ego building material!! 

Gooooooo Mooney!:D

While the Cessna may have been slow, the wing doesn't appear to be at a very high angle of attack . . .

In my little C, I've only been asked to reduce speed on approach one time, with my CFII aboard. It was good! 

• Like 1

When this topic comes up I like to post this audio clip from just over a year ago. I was doing transition training for a guy into an Ovation he had just purchased. We were going into Tucson International Airport. 40-50 knot overtake of a Lear jet.

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yesterday while flying VFR I was converging with two targets on the ADS-B, both within 500' of my altitude.    At the time I noticed them they were about 10 miles away- one at 9-o'clock heading south, the other at 3-o'clock heading east.  I was heading SE.   I tapped on each and saw that one was cruising at 97, and the other at 106.   "Traffic no factor" I thought to myself as I left them behind.  I hope they missed each other.  :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steingar said:

Whenever I fly Young Eagles I'm always worried about running into the ass end of a Skyhawk.

What works well for me is set 2300 and pull throttle back to less than desired speed, readjust RPM and lean to 50 rich. Then generally reduce throttle some more. Returning to the field, I'll go a little wide to allow for 30 mph speed increase with 500 fpm descent . . . . My pattern is 2-3 blocks wider than a 172, also.