GFC500 AP update

On 1/11/2021 at 6:03 PM, bob865 said:

Thought I would share what I just got from my Avi shop for my e model. This is the hardware price they quoted me for just the autopilot. I already have the g5s and a gad-29b installed. 

4 Servo: Pitch / Roll / Yaw / Pitch Trim $13,595.00

3 Servo: Pitch / Roll / Yaw $11,095.00

3 Servo: Pitch / Roll / Pitch Trim $10,895.00

2 Servo: Pitch / Roll $8,395.00

Strong recommendation- don’t leave out the pitch trim. It’s not required but really should be.  YD is optional but really cool/nice to have IMO. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 5:03 PM, bob865 said:

Thought I would share what I just got from my Avi shop for my e model. This is the hardware price they quoted me for just the autopilot. I already have the g5s and a gad-29b installed. 

4 Servo: Pitch / Roll / Yaw / Pitch Trim $13,595.00

3 Servo: Pitch / Roll / Yaw $11,095.00

3 Servo: Pitch / Roll / Pitch Trim $10,895.00

2 Servo: Pitch / Roll $8,395.00

For whatever it’s worth my 3 servo equipment price was $9700.  Your quote is over MSRP which isn’t necessarily horrible if the installation is cheap.  However, if you’re getting it done in a state with sales tax there is no reason why they shouldn’t put all their profit in the installation to save you money.

11 hours ago, Davidv said:

For whatever it’s worth my 3 servo equipment price was $9700.  Your quote is over MSRP which isn’t necessarily horrible if the installation is cheap.  However, if you’re getting it done in a state with sales tax there is no reason why they shouldn’t put all their profit in the installation to save you money.

Yours is an M right? That's what's in your avatar.  I wonder if there is a price difference between short and long body mooneys......

I have one price quote back and waiting on another for a short body.

Three Servo (Pitch/Roll/Pitch Trim)    $10,308.25 Parts + $7,500 Labor (60 hours)

Total Estimate including Tax 18,864.85

The Parts breakdown is:

• Install Supplies - 350.00
  • GSA 28 Servo x 3 (1,360ea) 4,080.00
  • GMC 507 - 2,545.75
  • AP Disconnect/Trim Switch - 42.50
  • Trim Switch - 368.75
  • Conductor Coil Cord - 243.75
  • GFC 500 Kit - 42.50
  • GFC 500 2 Servo Install Kit - 1,870.00
  • GFC 500 Pitch/Trim Install Kit - 765.00

I already have dual G5's and a GNC355 in the plane.

• Like 2

I'm going to show my ignorance.  What's the pro/con of the yaw servo?  I know the PC has it now and it's used for Yaw Damper (I saw the other thread arguing between damper and dampener).  How would the plane handle different?  What would I feel/not feel with/without it?

I'm going to show my ignorance.  What's the pro/con of the yaw servo?  I know the PC has it now and it's used for Yaw Damper (I saw the other thread arguing between damper and dampener).  How would the plane handle different?  What would I feel/not feel with/without it?

Do you feel your plane wallowing in chop/turbulence?

If yes you need it.

I think it’s a blessing for the Beech v-tail folks, personally I never noticed much from the captains seat in my J.

I would not get it, but would instruct the avionics guys to assume it would be installed at a later date and not do anything that would make it difficult to install.

3 hours ago, bob865 said:

It may not be a huge difference, but I can feel it working if I lightly set my feet on the rudder pedals.  One time I forgot to switch it off before final approach and could feel it actively trying to smooth things out.  (I shut it off and landed without, of course.). My GFC 500 flies straight and true, like it's on rails.  I should go rent the Cherokee I used to fly that has it, but without the yaw damper, so I can compare.

7 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

It may not be a huge difference, but I can feel it working if I lightly set my feet on the rudder pedals.  One time I forgot to switch it off before final approach and could feel it actively trying to smooth things out.  (I shut it off and landed without, of course.). My GFC 500 flies straight and true, like it's on rails.  I should go rent the Cherokee I used to fly that has it, but without the yaw damper, so I can compare.

You can always just turn the YD off instead of renting a plane to find out what its like without it.

• Haha 1

Just now, ZuluZulu said:

You can do that?!

When you turn the AP on, it automatically turns the YD on, but then you can just press the YD and turn it off, while keeping the AP on. It makes a difference in the LB for sure.

Just now, Niko182 said:

My bad. Ive met enough people that don't know their systems to the point where i didn't think that was sarcasm.

Doesn't hurt to ask first.  But since I have it, I don't want to turn it off!  Give me that Cherokee so I don't have a choice.