Garmin GI275 Night Flying and Brightness

MisfitSELF

Just got two GI275 installed but only have about and hour or two at night with them.  What I've noticed is that they are incredibly bright and I have had to manually reduce the brightness of each manually.  Once I do that, the rhestat panel light adjustments seem to work but they behave in a very non-linear manner.  For instance I bump the knob and one (the ADI will go VERY dim, the other will be barely change.  I bump it back a hair and the ADI will go VERY bright.  Also it seems very sensitive to ambient light, for instance from the flood lights.

I feel like there's a sweet spot to set these up for night flight but I haven't found it yet.

Anybody have night flying experience with their GI275's and have similar experiences?

Thanks

Bruce

14 minutes ago, MisfitSELF said:

Just got two GI275 installed but only have about and hour or two at night with them.  What I've noticed is that they are incredibly bright and I have had to manually reduce the brightness of each manually.  Once I do that, the rhestat panel light adjustments seem to work but they behave in a very non-linear manner.  For instance I bump the knob and one (the ADI will go VERY dim, the other will be barely change.  I bump it back a hair and the ADI will go VERY bright.  Also it seems very sensitive to ambient light, for instance from the flood lights.

I feel like there's a sweet spot to set these up for night flight but I haven't found it yet.

Anybody have night flying experience with their GI275's and have similar experiences?

Thanks

Bruce

I'm going in for a dual GI275 in two weeks.

Reading all these comments with great interest.

Please do send your comments to Garmin since I bet they will respond to multiple such feedback with version updates to make this easier.

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I'm going in for a dual GI275 in two weeks.

Reading all these comments with great interest.

Please do send your comments to Garmin since I bet they will respond to multiple such feedback with version updates to make this easier.

Interesting idea for @KLudwick to know about...

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...

Just throwing an idea out there...could it be that the 275 needs PWM dimming instead of voltage (rheostat) dimming controls? I have two Led post lights in my dash light circuit.  Their response is very non linear and they flame out after a quarter turn Down. 

• Like 1