Replacement Placards

Hank

My placard for manual gear operation is in need of replacement due to excessive sweat stains from my left knee. [it's not my fault, really--IFR training does that to everyone!]

I've found a good source to make permanent, custom replacements, so I thought I would just do everything in the cockpit. Took lots of photos, with my pocket scale for size reference. Turns out their smallest size is 40 in2 that fit into an 11 x 17 area; next is 80 in2 that fit into the 11 x 17 area. My thoughts are to arrange everything into a nice rectangular format, have them printed on the back side of a plastic overlay [it's industrial quality, designed to be machine faceplate labels for switches, buttons, etc.] and cut them apart myself.

Their smallest quantity in the 'prototype' program is ten [10] sheets. Does anybody want in? I think this is legal under 'Owner Maintenance' and the FAA's guidance on owner-sourcing parts for vintage aircraft, and my 1970 model is undisputably over their 30-year-old age requirement. No, I am NOT selling parts, I am offering to share cost since I have to purchase multiples. See below for my gear placard photo.

Since I'm trying to fill the printing are, I'll do breaker labels, too. Mine are:  430 GPS, COMM 2, XPDR, STORM SCOPE,NAV 2 AUDIO PANEL,TURN CORD GAUG & VAC, AUX BUS, ALTERNATOR, AUTOPILOT,GEAR CTRL CIG & IGN, STALL WARN, GEAR WARN, INSTR & RADIO LIGHTS, INSTR & CLUSTER  LTS, FLAPS & DOME LTS, ALT FIELD, GEAR ACTUATOR. Plus little stuff like the baggage load limit, ELT instructions, Cabin Heat & Vent, etc.

PM me if you are interested. Pricing for 10 prototype sheets starts at $200, but they may charge more since I won't be following up with a "real" order. We can fine-tune what else to add before ordering, anything that will fit into their size requirements.

post-54-13468140610778_thumb.jpg

Definitely go to HigherGraphics. They will custom print whatever labels you need, and they already have practically all the Mooney placards already designed so they can just print them up. I did this for a few labels that my A/P insisted I replace (they were long gone for some reason) to be in synch with what's in the POH.

Also, since my interior was replaced with the Airtex tweed treatment some time ago, I needed a solution to more permanently stick some of the placards on the tweed parts. I went to a Michael's craft store and purchased a $5 pack of thin sheet aluminum, to which I stuck the placard from HigherGraphics, scissor-cut the outline, then used a basic white glue to stick this on the panel. The glue filled into the tweed and they've been rock-solid.

Jeff--

What does Higher Graphics print the placards on? Paper? The industrial solution I found would work for your tweed locations right out of the envelope with the peel-and-stick adhesive. Die cutting to size is available, but I was trying to go quick-and-cheap. I just don't want another one there by my knee that will look grungy after two or three more summers.

Quote: Hank

Jeff--

What does Higher Graphics print the placards on? Paper? The industrial solution I found would work for your tweed locations right out of the envelope with the peel-and-stick adhesive. Die cutting to size is available, but I was trying to go quick-and-cheap. I just don't want another one there by my knee that will look grungy after two or three more summers.