How NOT to Solicit Charitable Contributions - Debunked!

Jeff_S

Situation Update:  I was punked!  I am very happy, AND very apologetic, to say that I have determined this letter was indeed an elaborate practical joke gone awry.  The MAPA Safety group was not involved in any way, so I want everyone to please realize this.  Go ahead and send them money!

The offender has been warned that I have no timeline for my response...patience is one of my virtues. I promise the world that I won't impugn the reputation of any real person when I do come up with my revenge.

Happy Holidays to all!

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Situation Update:  I was punked!  I am very happy, AND very apologetic, to say that I have determined this letter was indeed an elaborate practical joke gone awry.  The MAPA Safety group was not involved in any way, so I want everyone to please realize this.  Go ahead and send them money!

The offender has been warned that I have no timeline for my response...patience is one of my virtues. I promise the world that I won't impugn the reputation of any real person when I do come up with my revenge.

Happy Holidays to all!

Glad to hear it was just a sick attempt at humor. Such a shame it has to happen at the potential expense of the MAPA SF's reputation. Thanks for letting the community know, Jeff.

• Like 2

Back to the original post, I’m  curious about other’s experience with the AOPA Foundation. I’m a lifetime member of AOPA, EAA, Seaplane Pilots Assoc., California Pilot’s Assoc and an aero museum and regularly donate to a number of charitable aviation organizations, so I’m not a CB when it comes to helping aviation organizations.  But, I haven’t donated to AOPA in many years because the last time I did (back when it was the Air Safety Foundation) I was so beset with telemarketing calls asking for more that I decided to get off their list. I wonder if they are still so aggressive.

Skip

2 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Happy Holidays to all!

Revenge is a dish best served cold....may i suggest a phony IRS net worth audit from criminal division?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Back to the original post, I’m  curious about other’s experience with the AOPA Foundation. I’m a lifetime member of AOPA, EAA, Seaplane Pilots Assoc., California Pilot’s Assoc and an aero museum and regularly donate to a number of charitable aviation organizations, so I’m not a CB when it comes to helping aviation organizations.  But, I haven’t donated to AOPA in many years because the last time I did (back when it was the Air Safety Foundation) I was so beset with telemarketing calls asking for more that I decided to get off their list. I wonder if they are still so aggressive.

Skip

I do not get telemarketing calls but I do get something about once every week or two in the mail asking for donations for the foundation.

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

Maybe a letter from the local hospital concerning contract tracing of an STD

You know - I just now noticed that alphabetically, the very next acronym after STC is ... STD.

How did that happen?

Unfortunately, I think this coincidence will occur to me every time someone asks if I have an STC for now on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve learned a lot from this; probably the most important lesson is to investigate first, before posting on a public forum. There a a lot of bad actors out there, some more creative than others: how’s your Microsoft license, computer warranty, etc !?

I’m trying to schedule a MAPASF course; my first 2 attempts this year failed. I did two courses in the mid-90s, including mountain flying, and they were outstanding!  I’ve had nothing but great interactions with MAPA, MAPASF and the AOPA Foundation. Be safe and fly safely, and maybe I’ll see you at one of these courses, The Summit, or an AOPA fly-in. Happy holidays and here’s to a great ‘21!

20 hours ago, Jerry Proctor said:

Thank you, the second part of the note is a note sent directly to Jeff from Jerry Johnson.  I can understand how he would have reacted negatively to the seemingly real note.  But it definitely was fake.  I am actually not a newbie, but I couldn't find my password so I just joined using one of my other email addresses.  I am on Mooney #3.  First a K, then a Bravo and now a TN. Shout out to my great friend Paul K, who highlighted the to me this morning.  I sincerely hope this leaves no negative stain on the MAPA SF.  We are all unpaid volunteers and we devote a lot of time and effort to conducting these seminars, all intended for the safety of Mooney pilots.  Jerry Johnson is a plank holder now having done this for 30 years.  Please check MAPA for future events and places.  Very sincerely,

JP

If you need help recovering your old account feel free to contact me.  Thanks!

Craig

• Like 1

• Jeff_S changed the title to How NOT to Solicit Charitable Contributions - Debunked!