How NOT to Solicit Charitable Contributions - Debunked!

Jeff_S

I received two different requests for charitable contributions yesterday.  Both are attached.  Guess which one I will NOT be contributing to now or forever in the future!

In a show of charity, I did redact any identifiable information from the offending document as I have no desire to drag the individual personally through the mud, and I hope that in some way it was an attempt at humor gone awry.  But still, the attitude demonstrated in the letter seems ill-advised if the goal is to actually encourage participation and donations.

Give me the kind, gentle and inclusive approach of the Mooney Summit any day!

Happy holidays to all my MooneySpace friends.

Jeff

AOPA Foundation.png

MAPA Safety Foundation.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 4

My wife used to write solicitation letters for charitable organizations  to major donors. Her jaw dropped when I read this to her. If it was meant as a joke, it's a really bad one.

I'd probably  write back explaining why I was neither donating nor participating in the next program.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

I received two different requests for charitable contributions yesterday.  Both are attached.  Guess which one I will NOT be contributing to now or forever in the future!

In a show of charity, I did redact any identifiable information from the offending document as I have no desire to drag the individual personally through the mud, and I hope that in some way it was an attempt at humor gone awry.  But still, the attitude demonstrated in the letter seems ill-advised if the goal is to actually encourage participation and donations.

Give me the kind, gentle and inclusive approach of the Mooney Summit any day!

Happy holidays to all my MooneySpace friends.

Jeff

AOPA Foundation.png

MAPA Safety Foundation.png

WTF MAPA seriously?!  I no longer feel bad about letting my membership lapse. 

Also I’m not sure there was ever a real insurance rate discount through the membership.

Our local university is dependent on local sales tax revenue for operations, only 4 year university that is structured that way.  I am on the anti-tax crowd organization and executive committee.  I recently received an email, from aforementioned university asking for money.  Had to tell them NO in no uncertain terms and they really should see who they are requesting money from, will see if they respond.  I guess emails are cheap.

Bigger problem is non-profits are starting to be considered real businesses.  

I have always been confused Mooney Safety.  MAPA Safety, MAPA

What's funny when I read the note I was trying to decide which of the dangerous pilot attitudes the writer was displaying.   Then when he was suggesting that he would be the recipient's training instructor, I was like only if hell freezes over.

I still can't get our company to write messages to the employees with the "what's in it for me" viewpoint of the reader.

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow. I’m all for safety, all for giving generously to deserving organizations. I’m less enthusiastic about being beat over the head, threatened, and guilt-tripped. Maybe y’all should have a Southerner write y’all’s beg letters from now on, Honey. Bless y’all’s hearts. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Amelia said:

Wow. Just wow. I’m all for safety, all for giving generously to deserving organizations. I’m less enthusiastic about being beat over the head, threatened, and guilt-tripped. Maybe y’all should have a Southerner write y’all’s beg letters from now on, Honey. Bless y’all’s hearts. 

It's probably typical for Big N.E. City-folk.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Interesting Jeff!

I suggest this donation request letter is sent to you by an impostor! 

I agree seeing how “they” want the check mailed to them. I would contact MAPA by phone and let them know what’s going on, chances are your not the only one

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

@Jeff_S I understand why you would block your personal info, but I would show all of their info so others might know who’s behind the fraud...... they what fame and fortune, give them the fame

My opinion..... should the letter be created by an impostor, what positive value would it bring to the person named as the letter creator? 

Investigation of the letters authenticity is imperative.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

My opinion..... should the letter be created by an impostor, what positive value would it bring to the person named as the letter creator? 

Investigation of the letters authenticity is imperative.

I agree on the investigation, in fact I would hand it over to the authorities

I appreciate everyone's comments. I can assure you that the letter was not sent by an imposter. I just redacted the personal info because, as I said, my intention was not to drag that individual through the mud.  But if you've ever attended a MAPA Safety Foundation clinic, their identity is probably not a mystery.  As to a direct response to the individual, I could have done that...I decided it would be more impactful to let the community respond...I'm sure it will get back to MAPA Safety Foundation at some point, if it hasn't already.

Cheers!

• Like 2

You don't even send letters like that from a business to customers or clients that haven't paid their bills for a long time.    Unfortunately, being sub-smart is very fashionable these days, so I guess it goes with the times.

• Like 1