66’ E air filter and landing light

About to put the lower cowling on. Only flew the plan 15hrs before the engine case cracked so this is the first time I’ve taken out the air filter. I see it’s the technology just after the oil bath air cleaner.  Something akin to a dirt bike (basically open cell foam with molasses on it). 

Thoughts on if I should upgrade this?  If so, what part number do I need?  See no part numbers on this. I’ve seen a Challenger (K&N...oil soaked cloth) and a Donaldson version. I can’t seem to locate either one for this plane with any look up tables that I can find. 

The landing light...Kinda thinking of putting LED in it so I’ll never need to worry about it. Again, no part numbers on the GE bulb. What would I order?  What would you recommend?

1FE17753-9B7E-4134-BCD4-889708E5690A.jpeg

EEE8C4C0-2955-483C-AFCF-785AD6458A82.jpeg

54BED2E6-5E10-4E65-AFED-CF83714384E2.jpeg

B86F8515-DB2D-4D9C-80D6-8F2DB9EB2088.jpeg

6 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The air filter is a Bracket Air filter. That is the upgrade. They are fine. You should replace the element every year. They are cheap. The ram air door and alternate air door can be refurbished with silicone baffle seal. An LED landing light is a good addition.

I see, so this foam element isn’t supposed to be washed and re-oiled? Just get another pre oiled?

34 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

I see, so this foam element isn’t supposed to be washed and re-oiled? Just get another pre oiled?

No, they specifically say you are not to do that.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/brackettairfilter57e.php

https://www.brackettaerofilters.com/documents/Airworthiness I-194.pdf

• Like 2

K&N filters don’t seal as well to the opening in the cowl.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen the OEM filter on an older Mooney.  As primitive as the Brackett filter is, they seem to work well.

The light bulb is a GE4522.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

or a PAR 46 Wheelen LED.   They make a tractor version that is about .1 AMU less that they Aviation Wheelen.  The filter had Silicone in it.   you would never be able to clean it and relube without the foam going away.  K&N have been known to let more air and more dirt through.   You don't want that on the ground.   That is what the RAM air is for up higher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

K&N filters don’t seal as well to the opening in the cowl.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen the OEM filter on an older Mooney.  As primitive as the Brackett filter is, they seem to work well.

The light bulb is a GE4522.

Clarence

The 4522 keeps coming up as 28V in the info I’m finding. My E is a 14V system. I probably need to check the parts manual when I’m in the shop tomorrow. I assume it’s in there. 

An LED landing light is almost a must these days.  I got tired of having the radios and everything else dim when I switched on my old halogen landing light.  An LED landing light is easily twice as bright as a halogen, the light is pure white, and it won't fail when you need it most.  The life expectancy and low amperage of an LED landing light means that I can fly (in congested areas for example) with the landing light always on.  They're well worth the price differential.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

The 4522 keeps coming up as 28V in the info I’m finding. My E is a 14V system. I probably need to check the parts manual when I’m in the shop tomorrow. I assume it’s in there. 

A GE 4553 is a28 volt 250 watt, a 4522 is 12 volt 250 watt.

Clarence

Replaced the landing light in my 66 E myself. Pretty easy to do when you have the side panels off and get the 2 wires right. I installed an old Par 36 LED landing light that does the job just fine. I'm sure you can snag one of those on eBay for cheap.