Looking For A Factory Paint Job

V1VRV2

My plane is 18 years old and could use a new paint job. I really like the 2019 Ovation factory scheme. I was told that Mooney contracts out the paint? I’d like to inquire who painted this Ovation? Should I go to the shop that painted the factory plane or would any shop be able to replicate? Would someone know where to inquire about the color codes? Maybe the owner is on the board? Thanks in Advance!

C687B539-DBD8-47B5-ACA0-5FBD3A13C538.jpeg

V1,

Mooney uses a few different shops... some with better results than others...

What you want to start with is the paint scheme...

There is a company that does that for not a whole lot of dough...

The end result, they show you a couple of different adaptations... and color choices...

You select the one you like best...

They handle how to get the tape and paper lines correct for your paint shop to follow...

For a better description... see if @jetdriven is around..

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I believe  any paint shop can duplicate a paint scheme. Obviously, the better the shop, the better the product. If I recall correctly, I seem to remember that there were some complaints about sub par  paint jobs on some brand new Mooney‘s at whatever shop was being used at that particular time.  I honestly can’t remember if this occurred during the most recent run of new Mooneys, or prior to the previous shut down in 08 or 09.

• Like 1

@V1VRV2, the paint codes can likely be found inside the front cover of your first Airframe log.  If you don’t find them there, the factory can look up your serial number and determine what colors and matching codes were used.

If you want to see an amazing paint scheme, search here for Joe Zuffoletto’s @Joe Zuffoletto former Acclaim.  It’s a BMW-inspired scheme that was incredibly well-designed and looks amazing on the airplane.  Just a thought for comparisons you start shopping around.  It’s similar to the Ovation paint job in your original post.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

I believe  any paint shop can duplicate a paint scheme. Obviously, the better the shop, the better the product. If I recall correctly, I seem to remember that there were some complaints about sub par  paint jobs on some brand new Mooney‘s at whatever shop was being used at that particular time.  I honestly can’t remember if this occurred during the most recent run of new Mooneys, or prior to the previous shut down in 08 or 09.

There have been some issues with the paint itself, the guy across from me was caught up in it with his Ovation 

• Like 2

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. As always the members here NEVER disappoint! There are a few larger areas of paint delaminating from the surface which will trap moisture and cause corrosion. The planes 18 years old and always was hangared. Still looks good but 18 years is long enough.

Is painting the gear something that should be done as well? 

30 minutes ago, V1VRV2 said:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. As always the members here NEVER disappoint! There are a few larger areas of paint delaminating from the surface which will trap moisture and cause corrosion. The planes 18 years old and always was hangared. Still looks good but 18 years is long enough.

I'd say it doesn't matter, but might aswell paint that when the entire airplane is apart. 

There was also this paint project on an ovation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

The paint on my 98 has held up really well. Whoever did the paint job for Mooney back then did a really good job. Unless I get bored of looking at the same thing I could see the paint holding up fine another 10 years minimum. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

Saw guy on YT that stripped and painted all the rods silver, gotta say it looks really sharp.  I prefer white to see leaks, drops better, but wow it looks great.  Think was a C. fastback flying i think.  But, guessing he had rigging issues so was already half way in the project.

• Thanks 1

My opinion, based on my experiences and my opinion (:lol:), definitely a yes on painting gear, and wheel wells.

End result is a complete beautiful freshness overall, top to bottom.

I find it most gratifying to see that freshness each time I clean the plane underneath.

Happiness to your paint project and your final terrrifc results.  You too will be able to sing to your Mooney each time you open that hangar door.........”you are so beautiful, to me” :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slowflyin said:

I had a great experience with Craig at Schemedesigners.com.   Great design assistance and very knowledgeable regarding paint shop selection.

Likewise I had a great experience with Schemedesigners. Worth every bit of their fee. They worked great with Aerosmith in Longview TX to get my K done just the way I wanted. 

My plane was painted by Tejas Air Services in 2006, (back when I was planeless), and it still looks great to me. (Factory/repaint pics below)

That's black and gray acryglo over white alumigrip, always hangared.

I just went down there to San Marcos to have them take a look at doing some very minor touch up work for me and found out there's a brand new 2020 Ovation in their shop...seems like quite an endorsement to me. They're under new ownership now, and have a new/additional name, Specialized Aero. Guy named Travis Ahlhorn's the/an owner. Number is (210)896-0603

Thanks to the conventional hysteria of late, they're booked deep into 2021, however...)

10Q left rear.jpg

N5810Q Exterior.jpg

Edited by airmocha
  • Like 3

On 12/11/2020 at 4:03 AM, Niko182 said:

I'd say it doesn't matter, but might aswell paint that when the entire airplane is apart. 

There was also this paint project on an ovation. 

Jimmy sold this plane not long ago and the paint job always impressed me. I talked with this shop in great depth when I was considering an acclaim with extreme hail damage. They sounded like straight shooters with a lot of skill. Still considering them to update my paint scheme in the next year or two. 

On 12/10/2020 at 10:21 PM, Niko182 said:

There are multiple factors. The designs are created by Jonathan at Plane Schemers. Most qualified shops can create a great paint job. Heres a thread that had some insane paint jobs. 

the N121PA scheme is a Scheme designers copyrighted design. 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:28 PM, Oldguy said:

Up in Gadsden, AL (KGAD) you have Paint Schemer and Evoke Aviation. They did this Ultra.

image.thumb.png.ee857f65667dde1c4c58f2659234058f.png

Alan has a couple of huskies, an Extra, a Cessna Mustang and his Robinson 66 all painted the same, all ending in 6AG. His hangar lobby is nicer than most Signature's...

Yea, thats one of Walter Dodge's Kelly aerospace AC vents you see...

• Like 2

I have seen some shockingly bad attempts at recreating factory paint schemes.  I used Craig at Scheme Designers to replicate a Piper scheme on my Seneca (it was his design in the first place) with great success.  There are numerous benefits, well worth his fee:

1) properly designed,

2) cut vinyl masking to get proper curves

3) proper rights to use the design.  Imagine getting a letter from the manufacturer for copyright infringement?  A distinct possibility if you copy.

4) Dispute resolution support if it's not done right.  That 16 page specification is no joke, and when things are not done right, this is the starting and ending point.  My paint shop used 'artistic licence' to do his own thing, despite a written specification and a written agreement to call for owners inspections at various points.  It took a few months, but I got 3 of the 7 deficiencies rectified including repainting the aft half of the fuselage at no additional cost, plus some compensation for the lost time.  Very unhappy at the time, but extremely satisfied with the end result. 

• Like 2

I didn’t use scheme designers and feel you don’t need one if you can articulate what you want and it’s not extremely complicated.
I provided my own drawings with specific details in text and pictures of planes that were similar to what I wanted. I stop by to see the owner’s photoshopped version, we made a few minor changes and I reiterated some details I wanted that you can’t capture in a drawing. He also had me inspect the plane when it was masked. This is where having a shop somewhat close to you really helps, and why picking a shop because of price alone that’s across the country is not best option. And if you find issues you can easily return the plane to get them fixed.

• Like 1