M20C Landing Light Removal/Install

The landing light bulb burnt out last night on our 1962 M20C, is it as simple as removing the four screws on the front side of the bulb to remove it?  I've researched and it seems like you either a) remove the co-pilot lower cowl and get to the bulb from the rear or b) remove the four screws (located at ~005, 140, 220 355 degrees) on the front side retaining ring and it slides out through the front.  Those are pretty different in terms of labor involved. 

I just want to have an idea of what I am getting into before heading over to the hangar.  If its a cowl removal, I likely won't get to it until the weekend. 

Not sure about the early birds, but in my C I dropped the lower cowl the first time to see what was in there. The wiring connection is back there.

The trim ring on front must come off to get the old bulb out and the new one in. I've not had mine off in 6 or 7 years, so details are fading. But LED bulbs are great!

Welcome aboard ltd!

Something to consider... as many people do around here...

Going with an LED bulb...

Mostly because the GE bulb always burns out when you need it... :huh:

Doesn’t last very long at all...

Can’t be used for recognition... or it will burn out even sooner...

Find the proper orientation for the GE bulb... this will improve the life expectancy, or cut it in half depending on which way you have it now...

We have a guy that specializes in LED bulbs around here... maybe he can supply a recommendation for you landing light... @OSUAV8TER

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 6:46 PM, ltdriser said:

Well for anyone wanting to know. Hank said it best. Both. You have to remove cowl to get access to electrical connections because they do not have enough slack to allow you to remove the bulb from the front. Seems like a design oversight. 

Now to find a bulb. 

@ltdriser I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) authorized dealer and I have a couple different LED landing lights that will work. I'd put one in so you never have to remove the cowl for a burned out light again. Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com and you can check out my online store at https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

@ltdriser I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) authorized dealer and I have a couple different LED landing lights that will work. I'd put one in so you never have to remove the cowl for a burned out light again. Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com and you can check out my online store at https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

^ ^ ^ That, @ltdriser! Change the bulb once, never worry about it again. My Whelen Parmetheus went in in April 2014, and I only know of two times since then that the switch has been turned off.

Edited by Hank

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Ince is Bixby’s interpretation of the word once...

:)

+1 for a light that can be left on Motel 6 style...

-a-

Nah, don't use Bixby, just my big fingers on the phone keyboard. 

Haven't heard from Tom Bodet in a while, though. My landing light goes on and off with the Master Switch. 

• Haha 1