Covid Flying

INA201

I haven’t really made any trips or long voyages since March or so. I’ve made lot of local flights which had been fun but not exactly the same.  Have you guys changed your habits? I do run a restaurant which has kept me “tied down,” pun intended. Anyway, just curious as there is always an interesting story, thought, and insight in our group here. 

1 hour ago, INA201 said:

I haven’t really made any trips or long voyages since March or so. I’ve made lot of local flights which had been fun but not exactly the same.  Have you guys changed your habits? I do run a restaurant which has kept me “tied down,” pun intended. Anyway, just curious as there is always an interesting story, thought, and insight in our group here. 

Restaurant? Spartanburg isn't that far, and it's near Mom. 

I’ve done a lot of the same putz-ing around upstate SC keeping current and proficient while teaching a 3 year old how to fly.  

I agree that it definitely isn’t the same and I suspect that at this point, needles in arms will be the catalyst for the sentiment to change back to something more resemblance of the old normal. 

Best time ever to fly long distance.  Hotels are cheap, available, and all amenable to zero cancellation fees in case of weather delays.  Been anywhere from Telluride in peak season to Bahamas with no hassle.  Bummer we can't cross the border to Canada but then who needs Canadians....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Not much flying here even prior to the pandemic as I was grounded for upgrades (new windshield and a couple of avionics upgrades), got the airplane back just in time for the pandemic, and then limited options for trips, which is why I bought the thing in the first place.  So I’ve grounded myself again while I do more upgrades this winter.  Total hours last 12 months = 46.  I know, that’s criminal.  And my instrument currency has just expired.

This year I’ve flown from Oregon to Vegas, Oregon to New York during the height of the first outbreak. And a lot of other flights around the PNW. Covid hasn’t slowed me down due to fear but because places I normally go to are closed. I had a Vegas and Catalina trip planned but the smoke was so bad due to forest fires canceled that trip. The first three years I’ve owned my plane I put no less than 135 hours on it, this year will be closer to 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got my biennial and my instrument currency on the same day by flying with the same CFI in an area where COVID was scarce (at the time). Since then, have sought out IMC for solo flights to maintain my IFR currency. Did one Mooney fly-in to an outdoor lunch and hike on Catalina, and probably came across as rude for distancing as much as I did. Visited my parents for an outdoor Thanksgiving, but only after quarantining for two weeks prior.

I generally take the train to reach my plane (I own a Mooney but not a car) and take Uber or Lyft back, but as case rates go up I've started to Zipcar to the plane, instead.

I really miss doing AngelFlights, but our planes are not well-suited to distancing onboard.

4 hours ago, INA201 said:

We have several threads that started at the beginning of the Covid era...

They included all of the expectations and changes everyone was putting in place... some politics/government is always involved.  So use some caution to not stir that pot...

A bunch has changed this month...

• Covid testing is now available
  • results get received quickly
  • Covid vaccines are being distributed
  • Covid meds are better understood for better chances at recovery

The unknowns are still pretty crummy... being older, or having pre-existing conditions, can make the decision to go anywhere a little tougher...

Add NJ to the Unwelcoming states... each state keeps a list of who is uninvited... NJ’s list has about 47 states on it lately...

It snowed here today... so outdoor dining is no longer on the list of things to do....

So... when you get your vaccine....

• How long is the wait for it to work? A couple of weeks...?
  • Once you have tested to have the antibodies... do you get a colorful ID bracelet so everyone knows you are safe to be around?

We are so close to the beginning of the end of the Covid era... But, it still spreads like wild fire... don’t let your defenses down...

Be nice to the Canadians and the New Jersians... even when they won’t let you stay over.... :)

PP thoughts only, not a virus expert...

Best regards,

-a-

Lots of local flying and some in state travel, but I haven't stayed in a hotel since March. One trip to camp out in Idaho. None of the travel involved close contact with other people.

My last flight at work (121) was in early March.

Having a 3 year old, out of preschool at home, certainly clips the wings a bit. Were it not for her I'd have made more trips. If I'm still not back to work next summer she'll be big enough to do some more serious cross-country flying.

Edited by Immelman

Hasn’t effected my flying at all and I don’t really understand how it can.  Maybe because you don’t want anyone to fly with you?  Maybe because you don’t want to be around the fuel folks and maintenance shops?  Maybe your hamburger joint near that nearby airport is closed?  

Other than the airline pilots of course, why is it slowing some of you guys down?

Some things that make flying in the Covid era uncomfortable... or driving...

The going places and not knowing what is open, closed, or limited...  without hours of studying and searching...

Public transportation, taxi, Uber.... windows closed...

Visiting with people...  I don’t want to be the guy that unknowingly spreads the virus... the whole family will know after it spreads...

PP thoughts of fears in the Covid era...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Lots of in State flying in Florida for me. Revisiting airports that I haven’t been to in a very long time, shooting a landing then returning home. A nice activity to share with my Wife. Gives her a chance to get out of the house as she is an on-line School Teacher. 

• Like 1

We have twin 5 year olds and the airplane has been awesome for covid travel.  All spring, summer, fall, we’ve sought out hiking and beach trips.  Some hotel stays, some day trips, but much better than kids locked up inside!  Mccall, idaho for a lake beach, walked from the airport to the beach. Newport, Oregon beach is beautiful.  Pt Angeles Washington for tide pools and beach (cold!), Bremerton, wa for tide pools, Electric City airport on Banks Lake, wa for an almost private campground on the lake.  

Usually the airplane goes to grandma’s house, the zoo, children’s museums, etc.  this year it actually helped us distance while still doing something fun!

• Like 5

Since Covid hit, I have done a flight review, an IPC, flown around the area a lot just to get out and exercise the airplane.  I have made one long trip from Fort Worth to Florida.  The only thing that was different was wearing a mask when you go into an FBO.  Otherwise, things were pretty much the same.

18 hours ago, pwnel said:

Best time ever to fly long distance.  Hotels are cheap, available, and all amenable to zero cancellation fees in case of weather delays.  Been anywhere from Telluride in peak season to Bahamas with no hassle.  Bummer we can't cross the border to Canada but then who needs Canadians....

+1 (except I'll keep the Canadians ;))  Last year I flew ~150 hours, this year I'll be finishing at 130-140 hours, so very limited dent in the flying.

Sight-seeing is still independent of any virus effects, likewise practicing approaches at various challenging places.   I've even done trips where reasonable hiking destinations were within walking distance, so that's been nice.   I did my usual trip from AZ to SoDak and back, but when I was up there for the most part I was only interacting with family and hiking or at our place in the Hills.   

I lost more flying time this year to my governor failure than I have to the virus, but I do miss flying to lunch venues.   I've replaced the lunch trips with more benign stuff, like flying all the way to St. John's (KSJN) because their fuel is $1.05 cheaper.  ;)

20 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Hasn’t effected my flying at all and I don’t really understand how it can.  Maybe because you don’t want anyone to fly with you?  Maybe because you don’t want to be around the fuel folks and maintenance shops?  Maybe your hamburger joint near that nearby airport is closed?  

Other than the airline pilots of course, why is it slowing some of you guys down?

Biggest slow down for me is not so much a fear of Covid but I really can't afford to be knocked out of work for two weeks or so.  I think with the right precautions its an excellent time to fly.  For me, I have enjoyed staying local while work has kept me more or less tied down.  Local in the Mooney(preaching to the choir here)is under 200 miles which can be the coast to the Appalachian mountains in and near South Carolina.  All in all it has been ok just need to get out to the airport more.

• Like 1