New Batterie for 1977 M20C

My bird needs a new Batterie. The old one is Concorde (Part Nr. RG 35 A),a  gel Batterie with 29Ah nominal capacity. I don't know her (calendar) age.

According to POH there should be a Batterie with 35 Ah capacity.

Thank you in advance for advice,

Lg,

M.

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

One nice thing about the Concord RG-35A, at least in my plane, is that it is close enough in weight to the original equipment battery as to not require a W&B update, whereas the RG-35AXC does.  I think they are both great batteries, personally.

Concorde RG 35-A    29.5 lb / 13.4 kg (Now)

Concorde  RG 35 AXC   32lb/ 14,5 kg....

Would like to buy AXC, but after Prop. replacement with aktuell W&B I am not sure....

541011362_WB.thumb.jpg.22eb9f37a2bfbbae3065544177c6b17f.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tahir K said:

Side question...how long are these batteries supposed to last?

I am at 5 years and maybe 400-500 hours.....never used a battery tender and sometimes go 3 weeks with no flying.....It still seems like the day it was new

Using it with a sky tech starter

palm tree climate

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brndiar said:

Would like to buy AXC, but after Prop. replacement with aktuell W&B I am not sure....

I am now  by new  Sky Tec 149-NL (second one, the first one has to be exchanged too.... more in my "New Sky Tec Starter Problem" thread).

The old one was Prestolite Starter. 

Pleas, does someone have Data for W&B (Starter) calculations?

51 minutes ago, brndiar said:

Brian--

My C has a Hartzell 3-blade prop, and the AXC battery is not an issue, just a quick update to the Weight and Balance for the extra 2.5 lb / 1.1 kg.

But your empty weight is more than mine.

35 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

If you replace it with a new battery that weighs within a pound of the one you currently have installed you can do it yourself as preventative maintenance with a log book entry.  Otherwise an A&P will be required for the weight and balance update.  Just another thing to take into consideration, especially since even the least mechanically inclined among us non-A&Ps can usually manage a battery replacement.   

Sounds right if you had an N# registration.  Are you sufficiently familiar with EASA & German airworthiness requirements to support this statement?

• Thanks 1

My mooney is "non CAMO" plane, is on the "Selbstdeklarierte IHP"  and I  am authorised to do some maintenance.

Some explanation of simplified EASA maintenance (Part M)  Rules here:

https://flyinginireland.com/2020/03/easa-part-ml-rules-come-into-effect/

lg,

m.

Lots of station number finding to do...

Not terribly hard since each device has mounting holes that don’t move... but lots of paper work to go through and compare...

If you have enough weight up front with the battery up front also...

Many Mooney batteries have been moved to the back... that is a pretty easy swap to make paperwise...  using actual Mooney drawings and parts...

When I swapped the prop on my O, the new TopProp was a couple of pounds heavier than the old prop...

Putting the XC batteries in place of the originals added a couple of pounds in the right place...

The M20C is very similar to the M20R... one is more Mooney than the other... :)

Best regards,

-a-

17 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

No.  If you have something more than than cynicism to contribute to this thread, however, by all means do so.   

But he did bring up a valid point. EASA regulations are different from FAA ones and this particular question is about an EASA plane. I didn't find the comment cynical but rather a genuine call-out for a potential pitfall.

19 hours ago, Tahir K said:

Side question...how long are these batteries supposed to last?

Concorde batteries last a long time, 7-8 is not unheard of around here.  But if you do regular capacity tests the life is shorter.  There’s a difference between “still starts my engine” and meeting airworthiness standards.

Clarence

Every 

38 minutes ago, tmo said:

But he did bring up a valid point. EASA regulations are different from FAA ones and this particular question is about an EASA plane. I didn't find the comment cynical but rather a genuine call-out for a potential pitfall.

I do not see any potential pitfall. We share here our experiences and I am thankful for any. 

Of course, before any action should every owner of the plane to know what is authorised to do.

lg,

m

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Yes.   His was a perfectly valid but hopefully obvious point to the OP.   I was on my small-screened iPhone SE at the time and also multitasking and hadn’t noticed that the OP isn’t in the U.S.

On my phone, to see avatar information, I have to rotate it to landscape view. I normally read MS in portrait orientation . . . .

15 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I hadn’t noticed it before now, Hank, but my phone actually gives incomplete avatar information in either orientation.  

Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out to me.  

Apple . . . . Samsung shows everything in landscape, just like on the desktop but smaller.