Engine preservation, longer term

We’ve just pickled an IO-360A3B6D in a J model for a customer who will be out of the country for more than a year.  We’ve soaked the cylinders with several coats of LPS#3, removed the magneto and installed a cover plate and gasket, then filled the entire engine with oil until it spit out the breather.

6- 3/4 gallons of oil!

Clarence

11 hours ago, M20Doc said:

We’ve just pickled an IO-360A3B6D in a J model for a customer who will be out of the country for more than a year.  We’ve soaked the cylinders with several coats of LPS#3, removed the magneto and installed a cover plate and gasket, then filled the entire engine with oil until it spit out the breather.

6- 3/4 gallons of oil!

Clarence

Well, that should do it! And, now we know the crankcase volume. What about desiccator plugs?

Skip

12 hours ago, M20Doc said:

6- 3/4 gallons of oil!

Clarence

Is there any way, given the time is over a year, that the oil can make its way past the rings, fill the cylinders, and then make its way down the exhaust and into the intake through open valves?  Or, is that just crazy talk?

5 hours ago, PT20J said:

Well, that should do it! And, now we know the crankcase volume. What about desiccator plugs?

Skip

Yes, as well as sealing the tail pipe and intake filter.

Clarence

5 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Is there any way, given the time is over a year, that the oil can make its way past the rings, fill the cylinders, and then make its way down the exhaust and into the intake through open valves?  Or, is that just crazy talk?

Ring leakage is a definite concern, I’m sure over time I’ll need to top up the crankcase as the rings leak.

Clarence

3 hours ago, corn_flake said:

I'm curious about what MikeOH asked as well.  Aircraft engines isn't known for their tight tolerance.  Also, what kind of oil did you use?  Will Marvel Mystery oil work?   

We debated using cheap automotive oil, but in the end used Phillips 20W50 antitrust oil.

Clarence

Hey sorry for the newbie question here but is the point of submerging in oil just to prevent corrosion or is there any other reason, if its just to keep water from the metal why not just use the cheap automotive oil?

Also how do you seal the tailpipe and intake filter?

- again newbie here.

9 hours ago, cwaters said:

Hey sorry for the newbie question here but is the point of submerging in oil just to prevent corrosion or is there any other reason, if its just to keep water from the metal why not just use the cheap automotive oil?

Also how do you seal the tailpipe and intake filter?

- again newbie here.

My hope is that if the inside of the engine is completely full of oil, the cam and lifters and portions of the cylinders in the crankcase can’t corrode.  When I drain the oil from the engine later, I won’t have to worry about any residual non aviation oil left behind.

Clarence

On 12/11/2020 at 8:34 PM, aviatoreb said:

How much parts and labor to do that?

is there any concern w instruments?

the ultimate would be then to chill the whole airplane maybe to say -15C to slow chemical processes.

A new market for cold storage warehouses. 

• Like 1