Chuck Yeager

apenney

First time I met the General was on the flight line early one morning . I walked up and said “Good morning General” , he looked me up and down and replied. “ get the fuck out of my way you side of beef before I kick your ass sideways “.  Scared the hell out of me .

Yeager was legendary and shall be missed by many.  Chase that Ol demon out of the sky sir 

5D8BBEA3-06F4-460D-8769-E1E105A29C2E.jpeg

• Like 5

All while growing up in a military family, writing dozens of papers and reports in school about Chuck Yeager, owning all his books and learning more about him when I was in Civil Air Patrol, during flight school and beyond...he was my biggest hero and "mentor".  I can't believe he's gone.  He lived a long and distinguished life.  I miss him, and will remember him always.

• Like 3

I met General Yeager at an event in Washington DC just as I was earning my PPL. I was able to ask him a question at one point and said "General, what advice would you give to a brand new pilot?" He said, "Son, when I was your age I was killing Nazi's over Germany."

It was hard to see him succumb to old age and dementia like many who live on. I have a friend who met Bob Hoover about 10 years ago and it was a very different conversation.

Here's to the great pilots!

-Seth

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

I read his autobiography in third grade for a book report. My parents gave me a talk about how some of the language should be left out during my report.  I told the class “It was a “GD” good book!”

His was my first autobiography and what an impact it had on me.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Seth said:

I met General Yeager at an event in Washington DC just as I was earning my PPL. I was able to ask him a question at one point and said "General, what advice would you give to a brand new pilot?" He said, "Son, when I was your age I was killing Nazi's over Germany."

It was hard to see him succumb to old age and dementia like many who live on. I have a friend who met Bob Hoover about 10 years ago and it was a very different conversation.

-Seth

He WASN’T “killin’ nazi’s” over Germany.  Very few Luftwaffe pilots were in the “Nazi Party”.  He was shooting down German airplanes with German pilots, the enemy at that time...that would be like American pilots being identified as Republicans and Democrats.  They ALL flew for their country.  I met Yeager once at Oshkosh.  I was doing a Luftwaffe Aircrew re-enactment along with a bunch of guys and gals doing British/U.S./Japanese impressions.  He scowled at me.  I get it, but that he couldn’t separate an impression (50 years AFTER the war) vs. an enemy is puzzling for someone that achieved General officer rank.

I read his book too.  It was a GREAT read.  His portrayal in “The Right Stuff” is that of legend.  He paced Indy a couple times while I was in the stands.  Yeager is now dedicated to the ages.  They will treat him better than he did an out of fuel and landing ME-262 back in the day...RIP Chuck.  Glad you had that broomstick along for the ride.

1 hour ago, Missile=Awesome said:

He WASN’T “killin’ nazi’s” over Germany.  Very few Luftwaffe pilots were in the “Nazi Party”.  He was shooting down German airplanes with German pilots, the enemy at that time...that would be like American pilots being identified as Republicans and Democrats.  They ALL flew for their country.

No - it wouldn’t be like that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seth said:

-Seth

I was fortunate to spend some time with Bob Hoover throughout the years.   Not only was he the best stick ( in my opinion) he was the classic example of a gentlemen, eloquent, engaging, and humble. One of the nicest people I have ever met.  
General Yeager was rough as cob and the classic bad ass fighter pilot. He knew he never had to prove anything to anyone and knew he was the best at what he did.  He mellowed out like most over the years. The photo above was last year em route to France where he would visit one of the areas where he was downed during the war. One of the great honors of my life to have met these fine men.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

He WASN’T “killin’ nazi’s” over Germany.  Very few Luftwaffe pilots were in the “Nazi Party”.  He was shooting down German airplanes with German pilots, the enemy at that time...that would be like American pilots being identified as Republicans and Democrats.  They ALL flew for their country.  I met Yeager once at Oshkosh.  I was doing a Luftwaffe Aircrew re-enactment along with a bunch of guys and gals doing British/U.S./Japanese impressions.  He scowled at me.  I get it, but that he couldn’t separate an impression (50 years AFTER the war) vs. an enemy is puzzling for someone that achieved General officer rank.

While I met Hoover very briefly once eons ago when we had air races in Phoenix, my main brush with aviation fame was when I was a teenaged lineboy at an Army Airfield with an American flying club in Germany.   The field held a powderpuff rally of some kind that I never fully understood the purpose of, but one weekend our little field was covered with visiting GA airplanes.   One was a Bonanza that belonged to Adolf Galland that he flew in with his wife and dog.   Erich Hartmann was also there and actually came into our club and bought some PPL training books we had, I'm guessing they were for somebody else and they were cheaper at our club than elsewhere.   Galland and Hartmann were both very engaging, interesting, and nice to talk to.   Both still had a lot of enthusiam for aviation.   I was fully aware of who they were and was kind of in awe of both of them.   I wish we'd had cell phones or something back then, 'cause I got no pics or anything to capture it.   I think I have a pic of Galland's Bonanza parked there, but that was it.

Yeah, not exactly what you'd think of a Nazi enemy.   Just top-notch professional military fliers, like Yeager.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Seth said:

-Seth

You mean this friend :)

DSC01264.JPG

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

I read his book too.  It was a GREAT read.  His portrayal in “The Right Stuff” is that of legend.  He paced Indy a couple times while I was in the stands.  Yeager is now dedicated to the ages.  They will treat him better than he did an out of fuel and landing ME-262 back in the day...RIP Chuck.  Glad you had that broomstick along for the ride.

He probably knew what he was killing over there a little bit better than you knew what he was killing. The German pilots of that time were well aware of the cause  they were fighting for and most were believers having been Hitler youth, etc.  I don’t think Yeager was bothering to take names, he was just kicking ass.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

He probably knew what he was killing over there a little bit better than you knew what he was killing. The German pilots of that time were well aware of the cause  they were fighting for and most were believers having been Hitler youth, etc.  I don’t think Yeager was bothering to take names, he was just kicking ass.

Not going to get into a pissing match with you.  I reject calling a political party to identify ALL Germans that fought for their country during the period.  This thread is about Chuck Yeager an airman that I respected to a high degree for his contributions throughout his life.  When you say “most were believers”...Believers in what?  Their Country?  Their Family?  Their City?  People are people.  Was Chuck “kicking ass” when he was shot down and with help evaded capture?  I think not.

40 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

It’s O.K.  My 90 year old mother still has animosity toward Germans and Japanese...

It’s called prejudice...

It’s called stereotyping...

It’s going on today too.  Just look at another thread.  

I have been to Germany and Austria.  Beautiful country with beautiful people.