Maybe ordering an EI R1 Tach but have some questions...

Ok, so I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the stock tach with the EI R-1 tach.  But I have some questions:

1. It's not clear to me that EI is using Tach time.  What's the story on this?  Tach time only equals real time at cruise RPM because it's measuring engine revolutions and not hrs ran.  Tach time moves slower at lower RPM.  I'm worried about the clock ticking faster because it's no longer measuring engine revolutions if I change to this Tach.
  2. See the pictures below.  What would you say are my Red, Yellow, and Green zones?  Seemed straight-forward until I tried to fill out the form on aircraft spruce.  See how there are two green zones...what's this all about? 

My guess is I need to put the following:

1. Red: 2100-2350 and 2700
  2. Green 2351-2699

Shouldn't it also be green from 0-2099?  What does the EI gage show below 2100 if I leave that range blank?

Last question:  I plan on ordering it and then flying it until it comes in, this means the tach time will be off by like 4hrs or something.  I'm guessing we just note that in the logbook, I don't need a sticker on the face for that amount of difference right?  

I have the HC-C2YK-1BF/F7666A-2 Prop with the B hub and a NA IO-360-A1A engine.  This prop was new in 2008 (maybe it was 2012, not sure) and it only has like 300hrs on it.  I'm pretty sure I still need the 2100-2350 Red zone but don't need the eddy current inspection. This sound right?

715896957_3434XTach.thumb.jpg.7828f15af56dc25749347065aec01a99.jpg

image.png.06a6dc22ee4c67a37dbc21a2e10e9102.png

3 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I have one for sale that I ordered for my D. Looks like you have a slightly different yellow arc but this shows what I put on the form when I ordered. 

If it had the right "Yellow" Range I'd probably be interested.  A new one is $448 on Aircraft Spruce at the moment and then I can match my Tach time.  

So you made the "Red" Zone "Yellow"?  I thought the AD that established this zone was Red.  This is one reason I'm confused and unsure.

18 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

If it had the right "Yellow" Range I'd probably be interested.  A new one is $448 on Aircraft Spruce at the moment and then I can match my Tach time.  

So you made the "Red" Zone "Yellow"?  I thought the AD that established this zone was Red.  This is one reason I'm confused and unsure.

You can buy his and send it to EI for recalibration at a flat $125 fee.  That's what I did when I added a used M-1 to the existing R-1 in my plane.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

Interesting, on my plane it is Yellow.

20161230_114533_HDR.thumb.jpg.14858da24bbc8d80b97d34c175a0361c.jpg

5 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

You can buy his and send it to EI for recalibration at a flat $125 fee.  That's what I did when I added a used M-1 to the existing R-1 in my plane.

To make it worthwhile for him I would have to sell for $300. I figure it's just sitting on the shelf and not like it's going to go bad. Eventually someone will need one that has the same limitations and be glad to buy it.

• Like 1

The red range is an error from not so long ago...

Technically it is a yellow arc...

Many of our tachs got updated to match the new arcs as they got updated over time...

I got my M20C it a red decal added to the lens of the tach in y2k...

So... if you are getting your tach updated... expect that a yellow arc or range will be proper today...

We have an EI guy around here if you have questions about updating a pre-flown EI instrument... that will probably be a great idea... look for @oregon87...

Best regards,

-a-

compare this option to the others...

19 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

Ok, so I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the stock tach with the EI R-1 tach.  But I have some questions:

1. It's not clear to me that EI is using Tach time.  What's the story on this?  Tach time only equals real time at cruise RPM because it's measuring engine revolutions and not hrs ran.  Tach time moves slower at lower RPM.  I'm worried about the clock ticking faster because it's no longer measuring engine revolutions if I change to this Tach.
    1. The EI tach runs slower than my JPI900 and I believe it is more on par with the old mechanical tach. The tach on both the EI and JPI start counting time at a set RPM. And the true 1:1 RPM to time is definitely closer to reality on the EI than the JPI. PM me if you want to know how significant this issue is and what I do about it.
  2. See the pictures below.  What would you say are my Red, Yellow, and Green zones?  Seemed straight-forward until I tried to fill out the form on aircraft spruce.  See how there are two green zones...what's this all about? 
    1. Your POH will have a section on these operating parameters. I would not use what is on your existing tach. The numbers can be wrong because of a tach swap. In the picture below, my red ranges are denoted by two red lights (2100 to 2350) and the red light for 2700+. The light that is on, looks yellow but it is actually green. I should add that they give you a little placard to place on your panel. You can see it at the bottom of that instrument cluster.DSCF0068.thumb.JPG.572c55f8d324c0add366759c8246d4fc.JPG

My guess is I need to put the following:

1. Red: 2100-2350 and 2700
  2. Green 2351-2699

Shouldn't it also be green from 0-2099?  What does the EI gage show below 2100 if I leave that range blank?

Green.

Last question:  I plan on ordering it and then flying it until it comes in, this means the tach time will be off by like 4hrs or something.  I'm guessing we just note that in the logbook, I don't need a sticker on the face for that amount of difference right?  

I would take a guess on how many hours you will have and have them set to that. If you think you will fly 4 hours, add 4 hours to your current tach time and set it to that. In the grand scheme of things, I don't a couple of hours either way is going to make a difference.

I have the HC-C2YK-1BF/F7666A-2 Prop with the B hub and a NA IO-360-A1A engine.  This prop was new in 2008 (maybe it was 2012, not sure) and it only has like 300hrs on it.  I'm pretty sure I still need the 2100-2350 Red zone but don't need the eddy current inspection. This sound right?

The 2100 to 2350 limits will not change with that prop configuration. I did that same conversion back when Hartzell offered that upgrade path back a few years ago.

715896957_3434XTach.thumb.jpg.7828f15af56dc25749347065aec01a99.jpg

image.png.06a6dc22ee4c67a37dbc21a2e10e9102.png

I have an EI Tach. Great unit. Answered your questions above.

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1