Oil filter screen

24 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

When the screen is removed, they should be invoicing you for an MS35769-21 copper crush gasket.  It’s a single use, replace each time item.

Clarence

When I put that into Aircraft Spruce I get a part for a continental motor.....is it the same for lycoming?

4 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

....Are there any MSCs that give a shit?

Jim,

I know of two that genuinely care as they offer support around here often... a third is on the left coast but is now a past owner... but still supplies support when able...

I also know if you characterize every MSC this way, it’s going to be really difficult to get service from any of them...

Yes, you have had some really crummy experiences at more than one MSC...

But, the eye for an eye approach of reckless posting... probably isn’t a good idea either... :)

Generally, it won’t help you, it can’t help MS...

Its in the category of... why do it..?

PP thoughts only... trying to keep as many pilots and vendors and ATC members on board as possible....  

the more people we have on board, the stronger the community becomes...

Some MSCs are part of the MS community...  they run a business every day, and take time to post pics, give advice, and help out without getting paid...

So briefly... There are a few MSCs that have been proven to give a sh... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Jim,

I know of two that genuinely care as they offer support around here often... a third is on the left coast but is now a past owner... but still supplies support when able...

I also know if you characterize every MSC this way, it’s going to be really difficult to get service from any of them...

I just want M20Doc to move to the creek.....

4 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Keep showing him pics of maintenance hangars in the area from now til April... :)

People working in short sleeves....

Engine pre-heaters still with a tank of fuel from the last century...

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

have not seen that....speaking of gaskets....I am about to order some for my spark plugs....I see these on aircraft spruce COPPER SPARK PLUG GASKETS - 18MM

do I need these or the 14mm for an O-360 with tempest finewire....

Fine wire or massive electrode makes no difference to gasket size.  You need U674 gaskets, which can be annealed a few times before they’re scrap.

Clarence

10 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

When I put that into Aircraft Spruce I get a part for a continental motor.....is it the same for lycoming?

There are similar uses for this gasket on Continental engines as well. The Old AN 900-16 is now an MS35769-21, it’s 1” ID.

Clarence

5 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

While a very nice thought, I’m not ready for Florida heat just yet.  And there is a small issue of the exchange rate on greenbacks.

Clarence

For #7-With a 5/8 angled tip wrench (different angle on each end helps) and long snips to cut safety wire this is easy to remove and install.  There I said it. It’s easy. So no MSer should neglect the screen moving forward 

remove scat for room

Loosen nut from bottom. With angled wrench

Then stand on something so you can reach down from the top thru void left by oil filter you removed. Maybe diff for your Lycom  you get the idea  

Loosen screen nut by hand the rest of the way and pull it out.

Install just as easy.  Only PIA part was safety wire. OFF and ON.  Long hemostats help to reach down to get safety wire. Personally getting in there to cut the safety wire off and redoing it takes the most time and patience.  

7 hours ago, KB4 said:

Install just as easy.  Only PIA part was safety wire. OFF and ON.  Long hemostats help to reach down to get safety wire. Personally getting in there to cut the safety wire off and redoing it takes the most time and patience.  

I think it depends on your experience. Been working on cars for many decades so working in tight spaces you can't see is just the norm. After the first time I didn't find it hard to do. I do it all though the side sitting on a box.

I just replaced the alternator on my son's car. Had to use straps to pop off the mount, pull the engine forward and still had to raise the engine 6 inches off the mount just to be able to wiggle the thing out. Not uncommon.

-Robert

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

Newbie owner here. I doubt my screen was inspected at annual. I’d like to take a look at mine. I do my own oil changes. Dumb question.. should I wait to drain the oil at my next oil change to inspect the screen? I’m guessing i would make an oily mess otherwise. Thanks.

If you don't want the oil to all dump out in your hand. :)

-Robert

• Like 1

If you are asking about the suction screen .. YES.  Do not remove it from the sump or else you will have a gallon plus of oil let loose to deal with.  If you are asking about the high, at the accessory case pressure screen - you can remove it with "minimal" oil leakage.  But why?? This should be concurrent with the oil change - so just wait  - unless you have oil pressure or other concerns - or just go ahead and drain/change the oil?!

• Like 1