Oil filter screen

I was reading a post about the neglected oil filter screen that some skip inspecting because it sucks to get to. so I go-to see if mine has ever been inspected and I find that both plugs are not safety wired and wondering if I even have one with a remote oil filter. I am guessing it should NOT be in the "B" port????16ecd0b550c8d7ca76b2f24697a74499.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

image.jpeg.15260a9ad072733c26bcbfacfbcd67ae.jpeg
Key oil system components for a Lycoming engine: ➊ plug for return line from oil cooler, ➋ crankcase vent fitting, ➌ oil temperature sensor location, ➍ oil filter, ➎ plug for oil pressure sensor, ➏ oil pressure relief valve, ➐ plug for sump screen, ➑ plug for feed line to oil cooler.

should be #7 in the photo

Edited by RLCarter
  • Like 1

image.jpeg.15260a9ad072733c26bcbfacfbcd67ae.jpeg

should be #7 in the photo
Nice... So I have to look further down. I was guessing that the plugs I saw had been touched since there was no safety wire and would the screen remain installed with a remote oil filter? The reason I ask is yesterday I had a local AP tell me that those screens get removed when remote oil filters are installed as he pointed out those two plugs not safety wired. But I am confused what difference does a remote oil filter have to do with the screen?

Access looks super easy in this pic!

Screen only catches chunks...

So a filter is preferred for catching fine particles...

More details are a round here somewhere... but, I think I remember... the screen stays in place, and the filter is in another location down stream...

Meaning... when you have a filter... you still want to check the screen for chunks...

Fuzzy old memories from a PP only... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Yes, the "unchecked" screen remains with an oil filter adapter.  I believe the "unchecked" screen that is being spoken of is behind #7 on the picture.  As Carusoam said, it looks easy to get at in the picture...not so much in the aircraft.  You have a remote mounted oil filter, that goes in place of the oil filter on the picture.  Mine had a screen in the location of the oil filter, but that is replaced by the filter.

• Like 1

Access looks super easy in this pic!
Screen only catches chunks...
So a filter is preferred for catching fine particles...
More details are a round here somewhere... but, I think I remember... the screen stays in place, and the filter is in another location down stream...
Meaning... when you have a filter... you still want to check the screen for chunks...
Fuzzy old memories from a PP only... not a mechanic...
Best regards,
-a-
I'm guessing it hasn't been checked knowing what I have discovered owning this plane. I'll go tomorrow and find out because I just started the windshield swap and my luck I'll find the screen plugged with rings, pistons, and maybe a few camshafts embedded within. . It's so not funny but I have to laugh cause I'm scared to look!

There is no screen in the remote filter adapter.  The large nut is the vernatherm valve and the small one is the oil temperature thermocouple.  

Your A&P is confused.  On an O-200 in a 150, you remove the screen when adding a Tempest filter adapter.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

My engine was OHed by the PO in 2003. Had a new IA annual the plane last year (2019), he told me the original seal was still on the plug and he was very worried what he would find when he removed it. I told him to go ahead. What he found was nothing but some oil that didn't go out the quick drain.

• Like 1

Joe has probably seen thousands of engines up close... 

IIRC...  we’re they truck diesels?

His terror is warranted... only because of his extensive experience...

The only known cure...

Open the screens and have a look!

My M20C would collect a couple of carbon chunks... with the shape of the valve stem on them...

a subtle hint that I was supposed to get the valve guides cleaned...

Great pics Clarance!

Fuzzy PP memories only, my apologies if I have Joe’s experience incorrect...

Best regards,

-a-

22 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

I'm betting it hasn't been inspected and cleaned for years. Can't wait to remove it and find my surprise. Oh like a box of chocolates!

You are seriously weird...  I hope you don't find anything in the screen.  This is one scenario where I wish you find the chocolate box empty.  

You are seriously weird...  I hope you don't find anything in the screen.  This is one scenario where I wish you find the chocolate box empty.  
Ok maybe but I know the history of this plane now after owning it since 2017. I have found that the previous owner was not the most forth coming in telling me everything. Only after speaking to the original owners have I been able to piece together what happened to the plane. So I agree I would much rather find nothing but carbon in the screen but my luck with this plane is zero. I had always focused on the oil filter for telltales. I never knew of the screen. Education is expensive. Tomorrow I'll post pictures

From what I’ve been told, if you aren’t finding any metal in your oil filter or pressure screen where the oil filter adapter would mount, you probably won’t find any in the lower coarse screen at #7. Because it is coarser(larger holes), if you have chunks large enough to be caught in there, your filter would have smaller metal in it too.

• Like 1

Ok here it goes...I spare no expense on my airplane for mx...I found out about this screen late last year and decided to specifically request it be checked during my annual earlier this year.  I assumed that because my last several annuals and oil changes were all at MSC's that it was prob checked and that I would find nothing in the annual...boy was I wrong.  Carbon was found.  Very small pieces that seemed to be magnetic but were carbon.  (yes carbon can be magnetic, google search it)....so I have had several oil changes since and checked the screen and nothing has been found.  That tells me that the screen has gone a long time with nobody checking. Could have been 20 plus years... I also have Blackstone oil tests for every oil change for the last 5 years....all normal there....

I asked them to keep the particles so I could have them tested and of course they lost them.....

The MSC could not tell me if the screen was checked in the many prior mx events or not.  They dont record such a procedure.  My guess is no...They have been fired for many other reasons....twice tried to kill me and also for giving me one of my most embarrassing days in aviation....Are there any MSCs that give a crap.....Oh how I wish M20Doc would move to the creek......

Many owners would prob not share this info but I am completely honest about this stuff.  Whoever buys this airplane from me will know everything about her that I do....

Also...now that it has been checked a few times in a row with zero carbon I will go back to just once a year....dont want my mechanics to stress out that it has to be done every time.....your hands will bleed after this job....

anyone else care to share their pictures or is that being too honest?

IMG_2577.thumb.jpeg.435f9c60f8a6e3108b1c3c2f63d21d16.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Ok here it goes...I spare no expense on my airplane for mx...I found out about this screen late last year and decided to specifically request it be checked during my annual earlier this year.  I assumed that because my last several annuals and oil changes were all at MSC's that it was prob checked and that I would find nothing in the annual...boy was I wrong.  Carbon was found.  Very small pieces that seemed to be magnetic but were carbon as well.  (yes carbon can be magnetic, google search it)....so I have had several oil changes since and checked the screen and nothing has been found.  That tells me that the screen has gone a long time with nobody checking. Could have been 20 plus years... I also have Blackstone oil tests for every oil change for the last 5 years....all normal there....

I asked them to keep the particles so I could have them tested and of course they lost them.....

The MSC could not tell me if the screen was checked in the many prior mx events or not.  They dont record such a procedure.  My guess is no...They have been fired for many other reasons....twice tried to kill me and also for giving me one of my most embarrassing days in aviation....Are there any MSCs that give a shit?

Many owners would prob not share this info but I am completely honest about this stuff.  Whoever buys this airplane from me will know everything about her that I do....

I don't have pictures, but @AGL Aviation checks the suction screen.  Said it was unlikely it had been checked recently given the amount of carbon.  My IA (non-MSC) made me remove the suction screen for my recent annual.  Nothing found.  I did not like reinstalling it.

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

Ok here it goes...I spare no expense on my airplane for mx...I found out about this screen late last year and decided to specifically request it be checked during my annual earlier this year.  I assumed that because my last several annuals and oil changes were all at MSC's that it was prob checked and that I would find nothing in the annual...boy was I wrong.  Carbon was found.  Very small pieces that seemed to be magnetic but were carbon.  (yes carbon can be magnetic, google search it)....so I have had several oil changes since and checked the screen and nothing has been found.  That tells me that the screen has gone a long time with nobody checking. Could have been 20 plus years... I also have Blackstone oil tests for every oil change for the last 5 years....all normal there....

The MSC could not tell me if the screen was checked in the many prior mx events or not.  They dont record such a procedure.  My guess is no...They have been fired for many other reasons....twice tried to kill me and also for giving me one of my most embarrassing days in aviation....Are there any MSCs that give a shit?

Also...now that it has been checked a few times in a row with zero carbon I will go back to just once a year....dont want my mechanics to stress out that it has to be done every time.....your hands will bleed after this job....

anyone else care to share their pictures or is that being too honest?

IMG_2577.thumb.jpeg.435f9c60f8a6e3108b1c3c2f63d21d16.jpeg

When the screen is removed, they should be invoicing you for an MS35769-21 copper crush gasket.  It’s a single use, replace each time item.

Clarence

21 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

When the screen is removed, they should be invoicing you for an MS35769-21 copper crush gasket.  It’s a single use, replace each time item.

Clarence

have not seen that....speaking of gaskets....I am about to order some for my spark plugs....I see these on aircraft spruce COPPER SPARK PLUG GASKETS - 18MM

do I need these or the 14mm for an O-360 with tempest finewire....