Perfect Example of Pilot's Authority in an Emergency

cliffy

Agreed and great video! I can't help but think I would have been inspired after the event to complain to the inspector that the controller should be better educated on PIC emergency authority and his role to help - as it was the controllers actions where a hindrance to the pilot adding to his workload rather than reducing it. Thankfully this has to be really uncommon and hopefully an outlier as I have only heard controllers being as helpful as they possibly could to pilots declaring in the air; as well as second hand reports from others.

• Like 2

after listening to this video.the 310 crash obviously came to mind....recall he was directed to Henderson while virtually passing over Mccarren...definitely would have called the tower/approach controller (maybe ask to speak to supervisor) and had a "conversation"about what declaring an emergency does.

2 minutes ago, thinwing said:

after listening to this video.the 310 crash obviously came to mind....recall he was directed to Henderson while virtually passing over Mccarren...definitely would have called the tower/approach controller (maybe ask to speak to supervisor) and had a "conversation"about what declaring an emergency does.

Can't you just declare, then tell him what you're doing, and then do it? If he argues, key the mike while running checklists:  "right throttle closed, right mixture off, right prop feathered, advance left throttle . . . "

22 hours ago, kortopates said:

Agreed and great video! I can't help but think I would have been inspired after the event to complain to the inspector that the controller should be better educated on PIC emergency authority and his role to help - as it was the controllers actions where a hindrance to the pilot adding to his workload rather than reducing it. Thankfully this has to be really uncommon and hopefully an outlier as I have only heard controllers being as helpful as they possibly could to pilots declaring in the air; as well as second hand reports from others.

Well, there was this winner as well, but I agree, I have to imagine the vast majority of guys and gals in ATC would not be this much of a pill:

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Can't you just declare, then tell him what you're doing, and then do it? If he argues, key the mike while running checklists:  "right throttle closed, right mixture off, right prop feathered, advance left throttle . . . "

That's the entire point     Declare and tell them what YOU are going to do Let them worry about the traffic. That's their job.    Avigate Navigate Communicate  In that order. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cliffy said:

That's the entire point     Declare and tell them what YOU are going to do Let them worry about the traffic. That's their job.    Avigate Navigate Communicate  In that order. 

I agree 100%! ATC is no longer there to control but to advise and help. You never never never give up PIC authority! Remember you'll be the first to the scene of the accident. It does'nt matter if you are alone in you're homebuilt, or sitting in the front of a '47 with 400 souls on board! The buck stops with YOU!!! Most pilots will never have to declare an emergency in there entire flying career (private or comercial). I only had to once in a B757 after almost 50 years of flying! The controllers were great and never tried to override my requests. Just remember, after it's over, CYA! You will find the FAA is not you're friend! (especially their lawyers)

• 1 month later...