Dates anyone recall the private strip with the hotel rooms in a cliff face?

Hello all, I’m new to Mooneys, MS, and I bought an F.  Been reading a lot and learning...smart people here.  Break Break

Ive tried the search engines for a couple of hours, no joy.

Anybody recall the name of the airport out west that’s out in the desert cliffs, private and has rooms you can rent that are either right next to the cliff or in it?  It’s driving me nuts.

I wanted to fly there with my old airplane, but never got around to it before selling.  

Respectfully,

RT

23 minutes ago, Rusty Trombone said:

Found it.  Called Caveman, UT68.  

You gonna fly in there?  Post a video if you do.  I think it would be sporty for an approach in a Mooney.  Looks like  a strong cliff face on the opposite side of the river.  It may not be that big of a deal to fly the river and land but I'd like to see it done in something other than a bush plane.  The sandbar looks nice as well.

UT68 - Caveman Ranch.JPG

A really cool place to go is L41, marble canyon.  It’s on Navajo land, but you can just land on it.  Just re-paved too.  There is a hotel, Marble Canyon Lodge 150 meters from where you park.  Then, you can get guided trout fishing or just walk out to a neat bridge to see the Colorado River and at sunset these HUGE condors land on bridge to sleep.  Star viewing is crazy good.  

• Like 2

I’ve landed at Marble canyon, it is a no brainer the hotel is right across the street. If I recall, the dining room closes after everybody is fed so don’t be late. Went hiking at Lee’s Ferry and a slot canyon about 3 miles south that goes down to the river. Absolutely beautiful hikes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 12:22 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I’ve landed at Marble canyon, it is a no brainer the hotel is right across the street. If I recall, the dining room closes after everybody is fed so don’t be late. Went hiking at Lee’s Ferry and a slot canyon about 3 miles south that goes down to the river. Absolutely beautiful hikes. 

I've also landed at Marble Canyon, many years ago. Parked the plane, got out onto the wing, and the plane started rolling with me standing on the wing. Fortunately, it stopped short of hitting the fence. I walked over to the lodge for fry bread and took a look at the bridge. To be honest, I could have used a beer to celebrate the plane not hitting the fence, but I didn't have eight hours to wait before flying again. I recommend Marble Canyon. I also recommend setting the parking brake when parking at unfamiliar fields.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...