GFC500 certification is complete for E model

Wes

I have an Aspen 2500 system.  Have inquiries in to Garmin but no answer.  Why can't everyone play together.   

Because they have to be certified, an expensive process. Who do you want to pay for it, Garmin? You want Garmin to pay for certifying a competitors AP works with their products? You want Garmin to make it easier for Aspen to certify it’s products work with Garmin?
Aspen, Dynon, etc need to build their own navigation system, or at least partner with Avidyne.

6 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Because they have to be certified, an expensive process. Who do you want to pay for it, Garmin? You want Garmin to pay for certifying a competitors AP works with their products? You want Garmin to make it easier for Aspen to certify it’s products work with Garmin?
Aspen, Dynon, etc need to build their own navigation system, or at least partner with Avidyne.

I'm not even close to being an authority on the subject, but from what I've read, it's not a software reason, it's hardware.  The "brains" to the garmin AP are in the G3x and G5.  I was told no amount of code would allow the Aspen to communicate with the GFC500.  Maybe Aspen could come up with some hardware to integrate with their units, but like you said, that would be on Aspen to do it.

• Like 1

Reading how many things these devices can do is amazing...  thanks for sharing DonK!

Our chances of any integration between companies to handle all the functions is getting further and further away... 

The companies are having difficulty handling this within their own product teams... where we know they are on the same team...

Best regards,

-a-

On 12/6/2020 at 1:09 AM, donkaye said:

In your first post, if you're referring to ESP when the AP is off: banks between 45° and 60° turn the roll servo on with increasing torque with increasing bank to "nudge" you back to less than 30° of bank; pitching up +20° or down -15° does the same thing with pitch, "nudging" you back with increasing torque with increasing pitch in the positive or negative direction; and finally when airspeed is above 196 knots or less than 75 knots the pitch servos will "nudge" you back to within the airspeed limitations.  If you exceed any of the above limitations for more than 10 seconds, the AP turns on in LVL mode to bring you back to straight and level flight with 0° of roll and 0 fpm vertical speed.  It's pretty slick.  It CAN be disabled from the G5 (and 2 other ways) for practicing maneuvers such as the Commercial Maneuvers.

I was initially confused by the ESP because there is another feature that operates when the AP is on.  ESP works with the AP off.  Overspeed speed and Underspeed Protection works with the AP on.  LVL works all the time.

This is awesome.  Better than CAPS in my opinion...as long as it doesn't create issues or make bad situations worse.

Roughly how many AMU's would it cost me to ditch the Brittain system for this autopilot system?  $30-40k?  Some of you guys must have F-You money or a hidden trust fund that your wife isn't aware of. :lol:

I'm going to be over the moon happy if the Brittain system works and it tracks VOR and holds altitude when 34X is airborne again.  Sucks that the Brittain parts are becoming priceless antiques because changing autopilot systems is tall order.  I'm hoping at some point I can add WAAS GPS and link it to the Brittain system so I don't need to plot courses on VOR.  Even that comes with a hefty price tag. 

3 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

Roughly how many AMU's would it cost me to ditch the Brittain system for this autopilot system?  $30-40k?  Some of you guys must have F-You money or a hidden trust fund that your wife isn't aware of. :lol:

I'm going to be over the moon happy if the Brittain system works and it tracks VOR and holds altitude when 34X is airborne again.  Sucks that the Brittain parts are becoming priceless antiques because changing autopilot systems is tall order.  I'm hoping at some point I can add WAAS GPS and link it to the Brittain system so I don't need to plot courses on VOR.  Even that comes with a hefty price tag. 

I was quoted far less but I already paid extra for the autopilot ready gi-275

43 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I was quoted far less but I already paid extra for the autopilot ready gi-275

Yeah, I don't have GPS, G5's, or modern servos.  So it's a bigger expense. 40AMU might be low in my case. lol

Really cool though. If I ever hit it big as a celebrity or find someone to let me in on a drug smuggling business I might be interested.  :lol:

Somewhere around here is a thread on how to pay for a Mooney...

It came with many investment ideas... some actual things people used...

There weren’t any get rich quick schemes... 

If you can find that thread... it is about 10years old... it should have some interesting proof if they actually worked...

One guy fired off a simple idea....

I probably told him MS isn’t a place for investment advice... or something like that...  :)

Then he upgraded to a turbine airplane...

Let me know if you find that thread... I’d like to read it again... :)

PP thoughts about stuff I think I read around here somewhere...

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Somewhere around here is a thread on how to pay for a Mooney...

It came with many investment ideas... some actual things people used...

There weren’t any get rich quick schemes... 

If you can find that thread... it is about 10years old... it should have some interesting proof if they actually worked...

One guy fired off a simple idea....

I probably told him MS isn’t a place for investment advice... or something like that...  :)

Then he upgraded to a turbine airplane...

Let me know if you find that thread... I’d like to read it again... :)

PP thoughts about stuff I think I read around here somewhere...

Best regards,

-a-

I don't know where that  posting is, but one way to pay for a Mooney is through flight instructing.  I've earned a lot more than the cost of my airplane doing that, helping other people, and having a lot of fun doing it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I don't know where that  posting is, but one way to pay for a Mooney is through flight instructing.  I've earned a lot more than the cost of my airplane doing that, helping other people, and having a lot of fun doing it.

That's really great! It's rare that anyone get's to make money doing something they truly enjoy and it doesn't become just a job. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in contact with BK, Aerocruze 100 autopilot, (old Trutrack) is now in certification.  They actually have it in a Mooney.  Expect it out by May.   I'm going to sit tight for now.  The areocruze will integrate with the Aspen and drive the Flight director.  Just hate having to buy a G5HSI ($3500) to drive the autopilot.  

I've been in contact with BK, Aerocruze 100 autopilot, (old Trutrack) is now in certification.  They actually have it in a Mooney.  Expect it out by May.   I'm going to sit tight for now.  The areocruze will integrate with the Aspen and drive the Flight director.  Just hate having to buy a G5HSI ($3500) to drive the autopilot.  

I think its the G5AI ($2500) that’s required.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I think its the G5AI ($2500) that’s required.

I plan to drive it with my mechanical AI and Garmin 430W, if / when the TruTrak, Aerocruze, whatever, becomes available for my Mooney. The G430W is the only "glass" in my panel. 

2 hours ago, Lancer11A said:

In which model was the Aerocruze 100 installed?  I’m wondering if the STCs will be strung out requiring test flights for each of the long/mid/short/ bodies (and then there’s pre ‘65).   Uggh.  

My M20C is 1966/ BK said it would cover my serial number.  But I've decided to go with the Garmin GFC 500.  Two reason.  The Garmin is certified for my aircraft and my Mooney is outfitted with Garmin equipment except for my Aspens.  I've also talked to my Aspen service rep.  Aspen has a verbal agreement with Garmin to start the certification for the GFC500.  Should be completed within a year, so I give it 2.  Will bite the bullet, purchase the G5.  Once Aspen is certified, I'll have to decide whether to keep the G5 or remove.  All in all I know I'll be happy with the Garmin autopilot.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 5:40 PM, Wes said:

There is usually a PMA lag of a couple weeks...so I was told...so they wait to update so people don't start trying to order kits that haven't been produced yet. It's a process.

How did Garmin install the electric trim switch and autopilot cut off on your yokes (assuming you have the older style yokes)?

On 12/23/2020 at 8:14 AM, Lancer11A said:

Hi Lancer, if helpful, the 2nd g5HSI is not required but nice for redundancy and visualization. all you really need is the GAD29b (interfaced with your GTN navigator) and Mu11 installed with the single G5AI for all of the gfc500 AP modes; this an approved STC configruation. You will have to keep your primary CDI for horizontal and vertical guidance, the G5AI will display similar but its only advisory. My install/parts quote for adding the gad29b/mu11 to an existing G5AI was ~$2500. Good luck.