Garmin G3X Touch, G5, GFC 500 autopilot, Avidyne IFD 540

Shawn26

I’m in the process of installation of ( G3X touch, G5, GFC500 autopilot, IFD 540 ) and i keep reading many forms that you will not get the full functionally of GFC 500 autopilot with IFD. Apparently there is a issue with the VNAV function and on the GPS approach right after FAF the airplane will deviate one or two dot to the right or left. Unfortunately when i call Avidyne to confirm with the tec support, they cant assist me with this intermigration. Dealers or installers don't know either!

I love the IFD product and is a excellent unit for those who truly fly IFR. But if this is the case I've to change to Garmin 750TXI.

I don't know how can we confirm this and who do you need to reach in Avidyne to confirm! We are buying their products but with poor support!

Please anyone with the same setup please share your thoughts. Greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Shawn26 said:

I’m in the process of installation of ( G3X touch, G5, GFC500 autopilot, IFD 540 ) and i keep reading many forms that you will not get the full functionally of GFC 500 autopilot with IFD. Apparently there is a issue with the VNAV function and on the GPS approach right after FAF the airplane will deviate one or two dot to the right or left. Unfortunately when i call Avidyne to confirm with the tec support, they cant assist me with this intermigration. Dealers or installers don't know either!

I love the IFD product and is a excellent unit for those who truly fly IFR. But if this is the case I've to change to Garmin 750TXI.

I don't know how can we confirm this and who do you need to reach in Avidyne to confirm! We are buying their products but with poor support!

Please anyone with the same setup please share your thoughts. Greatly appreciate it!

The 750 Xi will get you VNAV with the GFC 500.  You'll also grow to love it, too.

• Like 1

I'm not a garmin fanboy, but you're doing an overhaul of the panel.  You may as well install a garmin GPS and minimize the chance of issues.  I can't see the cost difference being a big delta overall with your project which by the way sounds awesome.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Shawn26 said:

I'm not sure I understand this statement...nor why you're installing an all-Garmin panel, yet stop short of installing a 650Xi or 750Xi.  Appreciate "to each his own", but not understanding the logic.  Stick with your all-Garmin plan and stop the insanity of mucking about with interoperability challenges down the road.

9 minutes ago, Shawn26 said:

Yes the cost is about 4K more. I have always been a Garmin guy. Had a 530w before. Few months ago I tried the IFD trainer apps and I felt in love with it! Absolutely stunning comparing to GTN 750 which I know how to operate as well :(

$4k is a bit, but I'm guessing less than a 5% overall difference.  I personally wouldn't want to risk it.  

• Like 1

Unless you've flown behind them both (which I have), I wouldn't put all your eggs in the Avidyne basket based on a trainer app.

I can also damn-near guarantee that you'll spend at least $4k in troubleshooting costs with your shop attempting to resolve interoperability issues down the road...not to mention the loss of VNAV capability.  In general...the Garmin stuff is designed to play together with rare - if any - exception.  Do yourself the favor and put in the 750Xi...or at least a 650Xi if cost is that big a concern to you.

Also - still not understanding your statement "I love the IFD product and is a excellent unit for those who truly fly IFR".  Are you implying the GTN units aren't suited for IFR?  Not trying to be argumentative, so pls let me know if I'm missing something...

Steve

Edited by StevenL757
Small content add

Unless you've flown behind them both (which I have), I wouldn't put all your eggs in the Avidyne basket based on a trainer app.
I can also damn-near guarantee that you'll spend at least $4k in troubleshooting costs with your shop attempting to resolve interoperability issues down the road...not to mention the loss of VNAV capability.  In general...the Garmin stuff is designed to play together with rare - if any - exception.  Do yourself the favor and put in the 750Xi...or at least a 650Xi if cost is that big a concern to you.
Also - still not understanding your statement "I love the IFD product and is a excellent unit for those who truly fly IFR".  Are you implying the GTN units aren't suited for IFR?  Not trying to be argumentative, so pls let me know if I'm missing something...
Steve

Simply not true. I’ve had a mix of both avidyne and garmin in the same panels, and never missed a beat. Sold the plane, and the new owner installed a GFC500. Never an issue. I’ve had a 182, sr22, and now a mooney. All with avidyne stuff and never been back to the installer with an issue.

• Like 2

Steve

Steve,

Don’t get me wrong. 750txi or even 530w is wonderful. I was trained with them till recently with my experience with IFD.

On IFD 540,
1) you have GO reference when you’re entering flight plane or you have amendment to your route. It’s so convenient.
2) Go reference frequency with the names.
3) when you’re on a map it shows all your crossing altitude for non-precision approaches!
4) you get to any page with in 1-2 click.
5) FMS system it’s much easier.

With 750TXI, you have to change pages each times you want to change or edit a flight plan, obstacle, and more. IFD is not like that!

• Like 4

Steve,

Don’t get me wrong. 750txi or even 530w is wonderful. I was trained with them till recently with my experience with IFD.

On IFD 540,

1) you have GO reference when you’re entering flight plane or you have amendment to your route. It’s so convenient.

2) Go reference frequency with the names.

3) when you’re on a map it shows all your crossing altitude for non-precision approaches!

4) you get to any page with in 1-2 click.

5) FMS system it’s much easier.

With 750TXI, you have to change pages each times you want to change or edit a flight plan, obstacle, and more. IFD is not like that!

I’m with you there, and I’ve flown both. The G3X isn’t certified in the install manual for the IFD though. I like the big glass idea myself, but will probably wait for Dynon to finish their autopilot certification. It will play wonderfully with the IFD

5 hours ago, Shawn26 said:

and who do you need to reach in Avidyne to confirm! We are buying their products but with poor support!

Search for Avidyne guy...

this is what you will find...

Bryan is their key guy for customer support... for us MSers... and is currently working with another MSer on a different challenge...

Best regards,

-a-

@Bryan Kahl

Bryan Kahl

Senior Director of Sales & Customer Experience

E: bkahl@avidyne.com

1 hour ago, bmcconnaha said:

Simply not true. I’ve had a mix of both avidyne and garmin in the same panels, and never missed a beat. Sold the plane, and the new owner installed a GFC500. Never an issue. I’ve had a 182, sr22, and now a mooney. All with avidyne stuff and never been back to the installer with an issue.

I should probably clarify - I'm referring specifically to a GFC500/G5/IFD configuration.  My guess is you likely haven't flown any of those airplanes with this equipment combo.

Recently, a friend of mine at my neighboring airport replaced his GNS530W with a IFD540.  Not only would VNAV capability not engage, it was not an available function.  My guess is it's likely due to the GNS and IFD architectures being similar, and the GFC500 treated them as one-in-the-same.

This limitation was NOT present with a GTN/G5 combination in a friend's Bonanza at my home field, which I was also fortunate enough to fly.  The VNAV labels simply do not translate from a GNS or IFD like the GTNs do.  My point is that to fully utilize VNAV functionality between the IFD and the GFC500, you'd instead need a GTN.  Unless something changed at Avidyne over the last 6 months, the IFDs don't fully support VNAV capability the way a GTN/GFC500 relationship does.

Assuming the tables were turned and the OP had, say, all Avidyne equipment but was considering a GTN, I'd recommend he install an IFD540 or IFD550.  May not be my personal choice, but would likely be a better fit than introducing a Garmin unit to an all-Avidyne panel.  The moral?  Just because a piece of equipment is capable of working with something else doesn't mean it's ideally-suited to work with it.

I should probably clarify - I'm referring specifically to a GFC500/G5/IFD configuration.  My guess is you likely haven't flown any of those airplanes with this equipment combo.

Recently, a friend of mine at my neighboring airport replaced his GNS530W with a IFD540.  Not only would VNAV capability not engage, it was not an available function.  My guess is it's likely due to the GNS and IFD architectures being similar, and the GFC500 treated them as one-in-the-same.

This limitation was NOT present with a GTN/G5 combination in a friend's Bonanza at my home field, which I was also fortunate enough to fly.  The VNAV labels simply do not translate from a GNS or IFD like the GTNs do.  My point is that to fully utilize VNAV functionality between the IFD and the GFC500, you'd instead need a GTN.  Unless something changed at Avidyne over the last 6 months, the IFDs don't fully support VNAV capability the way a GTN/GFC500 relationship does.

Assuming the tables were turned and the OP had, say, all Avidyne equipment but was considering a GTN, I'd recommend he install an IFD540 or IFD550.  May not be my personal choice, but would likely be a better fit than introducing a Garmin unit to an all-Avidyne panel.  The moral?  Just because a piece of equipment is capable of working with something else doesn't mean it's ideally-suited to work with it.

Agreed. There is a reason I’m not installing a setup like this. I like the g3x, but really don’t like the GTN series. I’ll be waiting for the Dynon, or an autopilot that will work with an aspen. Also, FYI, a friend installed a full garmin panel and chased these same issues for 45 days, and didn’t have much good to say on garmins handling of the issue. GTN/g3X/GFC500 in a mooney M20J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Search for Avidyne guy...
this is what you will find...
Bryan is their key guy for customer support... for us MSers... and is currently working with another MSer on a different challenge...
Best regards,
-a-

[mention=17688]Bryan Kahl[/mention]

Bryan Kahl

Senior Director of Sales & Customer Experience

E: bkahl@avidyne.com

Thank you so much! I’ll send him an email

• Like 1

I currently have a Century2000, IFD440 and an AspenProMax in my 89J.  
The Century has gotten wonky on me, but works the majority of time, e.g. uncommanded off-course turns, A/P fails to engage. Off/on usually resets it, but I’ve lost confidence. I really like the Aspen, and prefer the Avidyne over the GTN series? Is there an autopilot replacement in the offing in the near future, next 6 months? I had heard that Garmin was working with Aspen on a solution for the GFC500, but that still leaves me with the Avidyne compatibility question.  BK? Others?

1 hour ago, PeytonM said:

The Century has gotten wonky on me, but works the majority of time, e.g. uncommanded off-course turns, A/P fails to engage. Off/on usually resets it, but I’ve lost confidence. I really like the Aspen, and prefer the Avidyne over the GTN series? Is there an autopilot replacement in the offing in the near future, next 6 months? I had heard that Garmin was working with Aspen on a solution for the GFC500, but that still leaves me with the Avidyne compatibility question.  BK? Others?

BK Aerocruze which was the TruTrack... should be out any day!!!  Or at least that’s what our 35 page thread has been saying for the last 3 years! :P

Unknown what other equipment it will integrate with though.

• Haha 1

Have you considered a GNX 375?  If you are set on the G3X & GFC 500, the -375 is a perfect navigator and works well.    Of course you may need the comm functionality the IFD provides but the G3X permits remote radio and intercom making a very slick setup.  I originally wanted an Avidyne, Aspen and PS Engineering setup but I found all the same offered in a Big G config for a little less money overall.

Don’t hold your breath on the GFC500 ever integrating with the aspen.
Currently the next AP I see coming out is the Dynon. And it won’t work with an aspen either. You can always send your century to the factory to get fixed in the mean time

The Century 2000 suffers from intermittent problems, which results in intermittent trips to the A/P “Hospital,” with intermittent spending.  Rinse..repeat

Mine unfortunately just got back from there in august (went to the century factory in Mineral Wells, TX) Not a pleasant experience at all. And it was almost 2k. Really looking forward to that dynon system

The Century 2000 suffers from intermittent problems, which results in intermittent trips to the A/P “Hospital,” with intermittent spending.  Rinse..repeat

Mine unfortunately just got back from there in august (went to the century factory in Mineral Wells, TX) Not a pleasant experience at all. And it was almost 2k. Really looking forward to that dynon system

According to a post on another thread, the Dynon A/P will not be compatible with Aspen!

It won’t. I’ll either be leaving my century in place, rehabbing it when needed and going aspen 2500 max, OR a full dynon system

2 minutes ago, bmcconnaha said:

It won’t. I’ll either be leaving my century in place, rehabbing it when needed and going aspen 2500 max, OR a full dynon system

I'm already committed with the 2500 MAX.  I'm prob just going to cry all the way to the bank and get a G5/GFC500 setup.