PAR36/46 LEDs for M20K 252 landing/taxi lights?

shawnd

FYI - this is not a thread about which LED lights are better :)

I am looking to swap out my stock landing lights with modern day LEDs. I have a 1986 M20K 252 with two LEDs in the front of the lower cowling. The diagram on 71-12-01 in the IPC lists Bulb GE #4596 which on the interwebs reveal its a PAR36 lamp.

However, in this thread, @carusoam mentions that PAR46 is meant for the ones in the cowling. Before I buy a landing and taxi light pair - wondering what the right pieces to order are.

And last question - should be okay to combine a Parmetheus pro (spot) landing light with a Parmetheus plus taxi (flood) light in the setup?

PS. Been away from the forums for a while - been flying a lot since my cowl flap motor was put back in :) Thanks to the forum for pointing out where to get it serviced properly - worked like a charm. 

• shawnd changed the title to PAR36/46 LEDs for M20K 252 landing/taxi lights?
33 minutes ago, tmo said:

What Steve wrote. FWIW, my 1980 M20K had two PAR36, one next to the other, under the prop. Installed two AeroLites Sunsetter G2 Ultra (one taxi, one flood) and couldn't be happier.

Alright, off to the airport today to measure the lights. Glad the flood & spot can be put in together. Should give a nice coverage. Thanks!

And if you order the wrong size, you can just buy a plane to match. Hate to let a good light go to waste.

... on a more serious note, the M20J Missiles (IO-550) have two-light cowls like the K. Is this a stock M20K cowl? I assumed it was custom from Rocket but maybe the bigger engine fits under the factory K cowl.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, shawnd said:

PS. Been away from the forums for a while - been flying a lot since my cowl flap motor was put back in :) Thanks to the forum for pointing out where to get it serviced properly - worked like a charm. 

I will attest to this...heard you on SEA CTR on Sunday evening, a flight of 2.  I was on with ATC, coming back from California, and I recognized your tail number. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bolter said:

I will attest to this...heard you on SEA CTR on Sunday evening, a flight of 2.  I was on with ATC, coming back from California, and I recognized your tail number. 

Wow - small world. Yes I had a Nanchang CJ-6 in tow :)

• Like 1

You need a PAR-36 size lamp. If you're interested in Whelen LED lights, I have the Parmetheus Plus for $255 and the Parmetheus Pro for $499.99. They emit 60,000 and 105,000 candela power respectively. Not all LED lights are created equal and you get what you pay for. The $10 Amazon buy, well you get what you pay for. I've replaced a lot of those for aircraft owners after they discover they are not very bright.

• Like 1

MS lesson of the day...

1) Measure the bulb to be sure...

2) Single bulbs in the cowl are typically the big size...

3) Dual bulbs in the cowl seem to always be the small size...

4) Lights mounted in the leading edge of the wing are the small size...

We only have two sizes...

+1 for all the light details, especially the LED strengths...

Best regards,

-a-

• 6 months later...

Okay another thread update for the day (long time coming). I will let the video do the talking, thanks to Sam who shot this at dusk. Light configuration:

• Whelen Parmetheus Pro PAR-36 Landing LED
  • Whelen Parmetheus Plus PAR-36 Taxi LED
  • Whelen Orion LED Position/Strobe/Tail Lights

Each one bought from @OSUAV8TER, very happy with the purchase and all the post-purchase help. Thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, shawnd said:

Measured last night to double check and indeed 4.5 inches diameter and order placed with OSUAV8TER. Will post some pics when I get them installed.

Hey shawnd, did you buy 252xm in 2019? When i was shopping for a 252 i thought i remembered 252XM being for sale in Arizona it had a nice garmin 750 IIRC. Just curious if my memory is correct or if i am mistaken. 

Another vote for the Aero-Lites Sunsetter G2 here.  I put them in the Comanche when they first came out and was VERY impressed.  If you search for them on YouTube, I made a video review.  I need to get a PAR46 for the 201 and am leaning toward the Whalen Pro.